Unbelievable!!!

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Woman survives ordeal at sea
Last updated Jul 13 2005 03:23 PM PDT
CBC News
– A 40-year-old woman who disappeared off a sailboat after it ran aground off the mouth of the Fraser River early Wednesday morning has been found tired but alive.

A massive air and sea search was launched in the Sandheads area near Steveston, where she went overboard.

RELATED STORY: Woman missing after sailboat accident
But she was found 17 kilometres away, on the other side of Georgia Strait – just off Galiano Island – by another sailboat not involved in the search.

Canadian Forces spokesperson Gerry Pash says a navy helicopter was dispatched to the scene, where the woman had just been pulled from the water.

He says two search and rescue technicians were dropped to the sailboat to provide assistance to the woman who they found resting comfortably.

They decided she was well enough to send by hovercraft ashore. Once she was back on dry land, an ambulance delivered her to Richmond General Hospital, where she is being treated for mild hypothermia.

"She came in to Richmond Hospital in the early afternoon in what's being described as stable condition. She's quite alert," says hospital spokesperson Clay Adams.

It's expected she will be released from hospital later in the day.

It's estimated the woman swam for about nine hours hours, without a life jacket.

"There have been cases where people have survived for a long period of time," says Pash.

"The fact that it's summertime, and the mouth of the Fraser River can be a little warmer helps a little bit. But she is a very, very, very, very, very lucky woman."

No names have been released.

I cannot believe she survived that 8O 8O 8O

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Mark my words.... there's something not right about this.

shorts and a shirt, NO Life-jacket... 62 degree water... manages to travel 24 kilometres! NINE HOURS IN THE WATER!!!

I don't buy it...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I agree. I am Very suspicious about this story and that's what it may well turn out to be a story.

Her and her two male friends are being very unco-operative with RCMP. Authorities were not notified until an hour after she "fell in".

Maybe the warmer water(only 17 degress but found in 11 degree water near Galiano island)of Fraser helped her a bit but 9 hours? come on. She never had a life-jacket either, which makes it more suspicious, plus she was drinkin:confused:

I would not be surprised if the real truth were to come out in the future.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
The guy that owns the boat was interviewed today and sounds like he thinks something is fishy too. He had taken the other couple out for what sounds like a paid-trip, and says she had earlier ASKED if she could borrow a pair of shorts. But after she went missing, her shorts were found on a bunk.

SO WHERE DID THE SHORTS SHE WAS WEARING COME FROM ? ? ?