H2O2 in pulp mills replaces toxic chemicals

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
What I have in mind is for B.C.'s pulp mills to use HYDROGEN PEROXIDE in place of toxic chemicals or processes.

I cannot understand why this has not been done allready by the companies themselves as it has a higher usefull fibre yield, 45% more, unless the cost of H2O2 is more than the regular chemicals.

Health and environmental benefits are real. Dioxins would be reduced, and they are a nightmareish chemical.

H2O2 is GOOD for us. I drink small amount of it sometimes, brush my teeth with it, clean wounds, lighten the colour of my hair with it, and clean the bacteria off of anything easily.

I want government of B.C. to step in, if necessary, to bring the cost of using H2O2 down to match the lower cost of toxic chemcials with a rebate program. If the Americans argue that its an unfair subsidy, the responsible thing to do would be to match the rebate program in Canada, if there was one.

I happen to be one of those who loves it when government gets involved, if it were not for the corruption... It CAN be done...[ya gotta believe!] .

Nowadays, if government helps out an industry it creates an unfair advantage in a competitive marketplace, which cannot be tolerated. However, it can be done I believe, and this is a good example, where the solution to environmental problems might require a bit of cash or subsidy of some kind. Just don't lower the stumpage fees, thats a slippery slope.

Karlin

PS - did anyone hear how the price-fixing case against Solvay Chemicals Corporation on H2O2 for pulp mills went down?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
They already use a fair bit of that at most BC mills Karlin .I've seen the rail cars at the mills.I'll look next time i'm in one for the holding tanks shouldn't be to hard to find :wink:

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Yes, MrMom, they do, and it is a good thing to see!!

Happy Karlin? wow.

H2O2 will actually ADD to environmental health, instead of hurting it like chlorine bleach does.

In fact, if they added H2O2 to every sewage lagoon, and esp to the untreated Victoria sewage being pumped into the open ocean, it would KILL ALL PATHOGENS like colyform bacteria and so on. Even the chemcial toxins would mostly be made benign, neutralised.

This slow change to using H2O2 in many areas of industrial and municipal uses is not defensable. They know it will help us all, but that may be the opposite of what they are trying to achieve in general....

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: H2O2 for sewage - Victoria's answer ignored?

Treating sewage in its various stages using H2O2 would accomplish a lot for the Victoria sewage problem. They are letting their crap flow straight into the ocean, a barbaric practise indeed.

http://www.h2o2.com/applications/municipalwastewater.html

- That link is great, all you need to know for this project. Victoria has no excuse now...

Also, h2o2 as a jet pack -
http://www.wikimirror.com/Rocket_belt

And h2o2 as a car fuel to stop global warming:
http://www.tblog.com/templates/index.php?bid=enki&static=1969711451
In all the discussion of various types of alternative fuels that is going on today there is one that is hardly ever mentioned, Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). Yes, the same hydrogen peroxide that you put on cuts to "boil" out the germs. This may come as a surprise to many people but I think that it deserves to be introduced into the public forum for discussion as much as any other fuel source.

Chinese build a h2o2 car!!! -
http://www.livescience.com/technology/eco-friendly_china_041018.html

Hydrogen peroxide could power future fuel cell -
http://www.livescience.com/technology/eco-friendly_china_041018.html

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Karlin said:
H2O2 is GOOD for us. I drink small amount of it sometimes,

I have heard of this before, but I was told you need food grade HYDROGEN PEROXIDE but I have never seen it for sale.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
this is from the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for hydrogen peroxide:

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
Appearance: APHA: 10 max.
Danger! Strong oxidizer. Contact with other material may cause a fire. Harmful if inhaled. Corrosive. Causes eye and skin burns. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation with possible burns. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with possible burns.
Target Organs: None known.
Potential Health Effects
Eye:
Causes eye burns. Produces irritation, characterized by a burning sensation, redness, tearing, inflammation, and possible corneal injury.
Skin:
Causes skin burns.
Ingestion:
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive
tract. May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Inhalation:
Harmful if inhaled. May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing,
shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May cause ulceration of nasal tissue, insomnia, nervous tremors with numb extremities, chemical pneumonia, unconsciousness, and death.
Chronic:
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis.

source

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What I have in mind is for B.C.'s pulp mills to use HYDROGEN PEROXIDE in place of toxic chemicals or processes.

Hydrogen Peroxide is only used as a bleaching agent, to replace chlorine. It doesn't replace all 'toxic chemicals' or processes. It's one minor part.

Lots of pulp mills use it already.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I have heard of this before, but I was told you need food grade HYDROGEN PEROXIDE but I have never seen it for sale.
May I suggest you do some reading about this first, hearing the rumor might have left out some of the bigger and important details. Like food grade peroxide is 35%, for human consumption that has to be diluted back to a 3% solution. For every amount you want to 'make' you add 11 parts distilled water to 1 part 35% peroxide. Even then your daily intake is measured in drops, a very few drops. At that rate the stuff you find everywhere can be taken for years without any side effects from the very slight differences between the two mixtures.

One show on explosions was a rocket fuel plant, that is also the same stuff but in a very high %.

Why not just stop requiring very white paper, the need for any bleaching could be reduced just by that.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
this is from the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for hydrogen peroxide:
source

That is a 30-50% solution, that is not the same as the stuff from the drug-store, here is the MSDS on that stuff.

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE SOLUTION 3%

1. Product Identification

Synonyms: Hydrogen Dioxide Solution, 3%; Hydrogen Peroxide Topical Solution U.S.P
CAS No.: 7722-84-1
Molecular Weight: 34.01
Chemical Formula: H2O2 in aqueous solution (3%)
Product Codes: 2180, 2182​
2. Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredient CAS No Percent Hazardous
--------------------------------------- ------------ ------------ ---------

Hydrogen Peroxide 7722-84-1 2 - 4% Yes
Phenacetin 62-44-2 < 0.05% No
Water 7732-18-5 96 - 98% No

3. Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! MAY BE HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. CAUSES EYE IRRITATION.

SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Rating: 2 - Moderate
Flammability Rating: 0 - None
Reactivity Rating: 1 - Slight
Contact Rating: 2 - Moderate
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Green (General Storage)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Not expected to be a health hazard under normal conditions.

Ingestion:
Large oral doses may cause irritation and blistering to the mouth, throat, and abdomen. May also cause abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Skin Contact:
No adverse effects expected on intact skin. Contact on burn or open skin may cause stinging pain or irritation.
Eye Contact:
Causes irritation, redness, and pain.
Chronic Exposure:
No information found.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
No information found.​
4. First Aid Measures

Inhalation:
Not expected to require first aid measures.
Ingestion:
Give several glasses of water to drink to dilute. If large amounts were swallowed, get medical advice.
Skin Contact:
Not expected to require first aid measures. Wash exposed area with soap and water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.
Eye Contact:
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting lower and upper eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention immediately.
5. Fire Fighting Measures

Fire:
Not considered to be a fire hazard. Concentrated hydrogen peroxide (30%) is a strong oxidizer, but this dilute product does not present that hazard.
Explosion:
Not considered to be an explosion hazard. Drying of concentrated hydrogen peroxide on clothing or other combustible materials may cause fire or explosion.
Fire Extinguishing Media:
Use any means suitable for extinguishing surrounding fire.
Special Information:
In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.​
6. Accidental Release Measures

Ventilate area of leak or spill. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as specified in Section 8. Contain and recover liquid when possible. Collect liquid in an appropriate container or absorb with an inert material (e. g., vermiculite, dry sand, earth), and place in a chemical waste container. Do not use combustible materials, such as saw dust. Small amounts of residue may be flushed to sewer with plenty of water.

7. Handling and Storage

Store in a cool, well-ventilated dark area. Protect from freezing. Isolate from incompatible substances. Protect container from physical damage. Containers of this material may be hazardous when empty since they retain product residues (vapors, liquid); observe all warnings and precautions listed for the product.​
8. Exposure Controls/Personal Protection

Airborne Exposure Limits:
-OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
1 ppm (TWA).
-ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV):
1 ppm (TWA), A3: Animal carcinogen.
Ventilation System:
A system of local and/or general exhaust is recommended to keep employee exposures below the Airborne Exposure Limits. Local exhaust ventilation is generally preferred because it can control the emissions of the contaminant at its source, preventing dispersion of it into the general work area. Please refer to the ACGIH document, Industrial Ventilation, A Manual of Recommended Practices, most recent edition, for details.
Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
Not expected to require personal respirator usage. If the exposure limit is exceeded, wear a supplied air, full-facepiece respirator, airlined hood, or full-facepiece self-contained breathing apparatus. This substance has unknown warning properties.
Skin Protection:
Wear protective gloves and clean body-covering clothing.
Eye Protection:
Use chemical safety goggles and/or a full face shield where splashing is possible. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.
9. Physical and Chemical Properties

Appearance:
Clear, colorless solution.
Odor:
Odorless.
Solubility:
Infinitely soluble.
Specific Gravity:
ca. 1.0
pH:
No information found.
% Volatiles by volume @ 21C (70F):
Boiling Point:
ca. 100C (ca. 212F)
Melting Point:
ca. 0C (ca. 32F)
Vapor Density (Air=1):
No information found.
Vapor Pressure (mm Hg):
No information found.
Evaporation Rate (BuAc=1):
No information found.
10. Stability and Reactivity

Stability:
Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage.
Hazardous Decomposition Products:
Decomposes to water and oxygen.
Hazardous Polymerization:
Will not occur.
Incompatibilities:
Heat, reducing agents, organic materials, dirt, alkalis, rust, and many metals.
Conditions to Avoid:
Light, heat, incompatibles.​
11. Toxicological Information

--------\Cancer Lists\------------------------------------------------------
---NTP Carcinogen---
Ingredient Known Anticipated IARC Category
------------------------------------ ----- ----------- -------------
Hydrogen Peroxide (7722-84-1) No No 3
Phenacetin (62-44-2) No Yes 2A
Water (7732-18-5) No No None
12. Ecological Information

Environmental Fate:
No information found.
Environmental Toxicity:
No information found.​
13. Disposal Considerations

Dilute with water and flush to sewer if local ordinances allow, otherwise, whatever cannot be saved for recovery or recycling should be managed in an appropriate and approved waste disposal facility. Processing, use or contamination of this product may change the waste management options. State and local disposal regulations may differ from federal disposal regulations. Dispose of container and unused contents in accordance with federal, state and local requirements.​
14. Transport Information

Not regulated.
15. Regulatory Information

--------\Chemical Inventory Status - Part 1\---------------------------------
Ingredient TSCA EC Japan Australia
----------------------------------------------- ---- --- ----- ---------
Hydrogen Peroxide (7722-84-1) Yes Yes Yes Yes
Phenacetin (62-44-2) Yes Yes Yes Yes
Water (7732-18-5) Yes Yes Yes Yes

--------\Chemical Inventory Status - Part 2\---------------------------------
--Canada--
Ingredient Korea DSL NDSL Phil.
----------------------------------------------- ----- --- ---- -----
Hydrogen Peroxide (7722-84-1) Yes Yes No Yes
Phenacetin (62-44-2) Yes Yes No Yes
Water (7732-18-5) Yes Yes No Yes

--------\Federal, State & International Regulations - Part 1\----------------
-SARA 302- ------SARA 313------
Ingredient RQ TPQ List Chemical Catg.
----------------------------------------- --- ----- ---- --------------
Hydrogen Peroxide (7722-84-1) No No No No
Phenacetin (62-44-2) No No No No
Water (7732-18-5) No No No No

--------\Federal, State & International Regulations - Part 2\----------------
-RCRA- -TSCA-
Ingredient CERCLA 261.33 8(d)
----------------------------------------- ------ ------ ------
Hydrogen Peroxide (7722-84-1) No No No
Phenacetin (62-44-2) 100 U187 No
Water (7732-18-5) No No No

Chemical Weapons Convention: No TSCA 12(b): No CDTA: No
SARA 311/312: Acute: Yes Chronic: No Fire: No Pressure: No
Reactivity: Yes (Mixture / Liquid)
WARNING:
THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS A CHEMICAL(S) KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER.

Australian Hazchem Code: None allocated.
Poison Schedule: S5
WHMIS:
This MSDS has been prepared according to the hazard criteria of the Controlled Products Regulations (CPR) and the MSDS contains all of the information required by the CPR.
16. Other Information

NFPA Ratings: Health: 1 Flammability: 0 Reactivity: 1
Label Hazard Warning:
WARNING! MAY BE HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. CAUSES EYE IRRITATION.
Label Precautions:
Avoid contact with eyes.
Keep container closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling.
Label First Aid:
In case of eye contact, immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical attention. If swallowed, give large amounts of water to drink. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. If large amounts were swallowed, get medical advice.
Product Use:
Laboratory Reagent.
Revision Information:
No Changes.
Disclaimer:
************************************************************************************************
Mallinckrodt Baker, Inc. provides the information contained herein in good faith but makes no representation as to its comprehensiveness or accuracy. This document is intended only as a guide to the appropriate precautionary handling of the material by a properly trained person using this product. Individuals receiving the information must exercise their independent judgment in determining its appropriateness for a particular purpose. MALLINCKRODT BAKER, INC. MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE WITH RESPECT TO THE INFORMATION SET FORTH HEREIN OR THE PRODUCT TO WHICH THE INFORMATION REFERS. ACCORDINGLY, MALLINCKRODT BAKER, INC. WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM USE OF OR RELIANCE UPON THIS INFORMATION.
************************************************************************************************
Prepared by: Environmental Health & Safety
Phone Number: (314) 654-1600 (U.S.A.)​

alypipes

May 8, 2008
southeast bc
I don't know why we need as much bleached pulp as we do, we sell 30% of our pulp to Charmin. I guess people like super white toilet paper. Here is a link showing chemicals used for what part of the bleaching process, it's complex and costly.http://http://www.paperonweb.com/bleach.htm#bleach
We also use aerobic organisms (bugs) for the decomposition of the effluent. New regs in 1992 really cleaned up pulp mill effluent.
http://http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/vines/4301/bugs.html