Is it my fault? (Driving in Lower Mainland)

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
What's up with the drivers in the Lower Mainland?

I've been driving for about 13 years now... no accidents but a few speeding tickets and had my car vandalized a couple of times :-( I haven't had much to complain about until about the last year or so.

Here's my gripe. Sorry for the long post.

This morning I was driving down 10th ave in New West going west towards Vancouver. If you are familiar with that route, you will know that from North Road to about Mcbride is single lane and about 20 metres from Mcbride the road expands to two lanes with the left lane having the option of turning left or going straight. Well, I was following this van this morning and we reached Mcbride, the driver of the van stopped on the left lane behind several cars that were signalling left. I, being an experienced driver on this route, automatically went to the right. Just as I was about to pass the van, he pulls out without signalling and stops half way after noticing that he was going to hit me if he didn't stop. Luckily, with my quick reflexes I was able to stop and allow enough room for him to complete his lane change. I didn't horn him and courteously let him in. Light turns green and we pass the intersection. My experience tells me that I should be in the left lane at this point as this lane is usually faster. I end up pulling up beside him and I look over. To my amazement, he is shaking his head at me! WTF? He was the one *not* signalling, not checking his blind spot, almost causing and accident, and he's shaking his head at me? Meanwhile, the other drivers behind me that witnessed the incident are giving me the stare as if it was my fault???!!!

This is not the first time this has happened too. I've had a couple of occasions where people have cut me off when they lane change(and I didn't horn them) and shake their heads at me as if it was my fault.

Should I be horning 'til the cows come home or what?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Is it my fault? (Driv

By your description it sounds to me like the guy in the van likely learned how to drive in Winnipeg. The fact that he didn't cut you off a second times makes it probable that he learned to drive in Winnipeg and is slowly getting better. ;-)

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
There's a sub-species in existence, cdn, that we in the UK call "white van man". I think you've just encountered him.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Re: RE: Is it my fault? (Driving in Lower Mainland)

LadyC said:
The first guy is an idiot. THe others were probably ticked that you let the idiot have his way. ;)

Good point! I think I drive with my hand over the horn button ready to put it to good use ;-)

But seriously, if I was a guy who had muscles like "The Rock" or Arnold Swartz..gger with a jacked up truck I bet you he wouldn't be shaking his head at me...

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
well, usually when driving in vancouver, i wear my 'special hat'. it is the one fitted with ten middle fingers. that way i always have my ass covered (so to speak) and just nod my head back and forth and let the fingers do the talking. 8O

i don't usually drive in vancouver, the other half does. i just close my eyes really tight and hang on.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
galianomama said:
well, usually when driving in vancouver, i wear my 'special hat'. it is the one fitted with ten middle fingers. that way i always have my ass covered (so to speak) and just nod my head back and forth and let the fingers do the talking. 8O

i don't usually drive in vancouver, the other half does. i just close my eyes really tight and hang on.

Where can I get this "special hat"? Do they sell at Wal-Mart? :D

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
pea, we might be on to something here, maybe we should be making all of those hats......hmmmm

yeah, of course you want the jester hat, just so you can wear it to starbuckies......although no one there will even notice. 8O