Clayton Stoner's father says 'Cheeky' the grizzly bear never existed

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I'm not surprised to read this-some sickening back stabber trying to make money

NHLer Clayton Stoner's father says 'Cheeky' the grizzly bear never existed
The NHLer was convicted hunting a grizzly bear without a proper licence

The father of National Hockey League defenceman Clayton Stoner is sharing what he says is the "real story" of a 2013 grizzly bear hunt that led to a conviction against his son.

Ken Stoner says in a Facebook post published Thursday that since the news broke almost three years ago, it has been extremely hard while his entire family has listened to "lies."

Wildlife advocates and First Nations claimed the animal was a beloved tourist attraction named Cheeky, after graphic photos were published of his son holding a severed grizzly bear head from the spring hunt in British Columbia's Great Bear Rainforest.

Clayton Stoner fined $10K for hunting grizzly bear without a proper licence
But Ken Stoner says he doesn't believe a bear named Cheeky ever existed and that once anti-hunting groups learned his son played for the NHL they used the photos to advance their cause.

He says the possibility that his son didn't qualify for a resident hunting licence never crossed anyone's mind, as he was born, raised and owns a home on Vancouver Island.

A lawyer for the Anaheim Ducks player entered a guilty plea on his behalf this week for one count of hunting without a licence, prompting a judge to issue a three-year hunting ban and $10,000 fine.

Read the full Facebook post-Ken Stoner

North Island Secondary School · Yesterday at 2:22pm ·

Clayton Stoner and the Grizzly Bear
I have chosen to go public with the real story about this bear hunt to put it in the proper light. It is not meant to promote hunting and it is not in support of the anti-hunting groups, it's just "the truth".

I hope it helps show the public the level that supposedly "good people" are willing to lower themselves to for their cause, not caring whose reputation they destroy along the way.

When we met Robert Johnson the First Nation watchman in Kwatna (an extremely remote part of the province) he told us he could not stop us from hunting there but asked that we respect the land.

The entire time we were there we were under the impression Robert had befriended us, he ate with us, he drank with us, and he shared stories with us. He was very helpful with his directions on how to get up the river to where we got the bear.

When we got the bear back to the main boat and Robert was taking a few hairs for DNA samples I asked him if he had ever seen this particular bear bear before and he told me he had not but that "it was not uncommon for bears to pass through there".

The entire time we spent with Robert he never mentioned anything about a bear named "Cheeky" or any other bear that he or anyone else had a relationship with.
When the story broke it was extremely hard on our entire family to listen to and read all the lies that were being told.

To set the record straight the head and paws were not severed, the bear was not 5 year old Cheeky, it was not shot with a shotgun. This was a very large 18 year old male, the exact type of bear the BC Wildlife Service asks you to harvest. And when Robert was supposedly in his tent crying over the loss of Cheeky he was actually on our boat drinking and did so until 3-4am.

The possibility that Clayton wasn't a resident never crossed anyone's mind, he was born in the province, raised in the province and owned a home in the province but under the wildlife act he fell a few days short of the required amount of days to be classified a resident. I don't believe there ever was a bear named Cheeky and I believe once they found out Clayton played in the NHL they saw it as a way to bring awareness to their cause.

The truth is:
Our Vancouver Island born and raised son grew up hunting and fishing. He lives between Canada and the US because of his seasonal job. He shot a legal bear, in legal season, in a legal area with a licence that he incorrectly assumed he was qualified for. He is only guilty of a miscalculation of the days he lived outside Canada that year.
Ken Stoner

Last edited: