Woman caught using curling iron while driving

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Police are warning against the dangers of distracted driving after a woman was recently caught on camera using a curling iron while driving on a B.C. highway.

The video, filmed last Saturday evening on Highway 19 north of Nanaimo, appears to show a woman curling her hair and steering with her knees while driving at about 90 km/h.

As shocking as the footage may seem, Cpl. Ronda Rempel of B.C. RCMP Traffic Services said she wasn’t surprised by the behaviour.

Unfortunately she’s not the only woman out there grooming on her way to work,” said Rempel. “And we know a lot of men do it, too.”

Despite a police crackdown on distracted driving in recent years, officers still similar incidents, from drivers applying lipstick or eyeshadow to even reading a novel while also holding a cup of coffee, Rempel said.

“Grooming is a huge issue,” she said. “I’ve seen people brushing their teeth while driving, which I don’t understand how you do that without running water.”

Rempel reminded drivers that distracted driving doesn’t only including texting or talking on a cell phone. Anything that takes attention away from the task at hand is a distraction, she said.

“Our biggest message is always keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel,” she said. “If you don’t have both hands on the wheel, you’re distracted. If you’re not looking straight ahead and scanning ahead of you and looking forward, you’re distracted.”

The woman in the video has not been identified. If she were to be charged, however, Cpl. Norm Smith of Nanaimo RCMP, who is investigating the case, said it would likely be for driving without due care and attention, which comes with a $368 fine and six penalty points.

The fact that the driver doesn’t notice that a passenger in the vehicle beside her is filming her shows that she is clearly distracted, he said.

more

Video: Woman caught using curling iron while driving on B.C. highway | Metro

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4EY86IbFo&feature=player_embedded

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sigh. They always go a bridge too far.

“Our biggest message is always keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel,” she said. “If you don’t have both hands on the wheel, you’re distracted. If you’re not looking straight ahead and scanning ahead of you and looking forward, you’re distracted.”
So, if I take one hand off the wheel to wind the window down, I'm guilty of distracted driving? If I look left or right at an intersection, I'm guilty of distracted driving?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

So, if I take one hand off the wheel to wind the window down, I'm guilty of distracted driving? If I look left or right at an intersection, I'm guilty of distracted driving?
wow you do those things...man you are such a distracted driver.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
if she had been curling while driving that would have been an amazing feat. ;)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Curls on the island? Poor girl will have flat hair in 15 mins with that humidity. Why risk your life only to have flat hair?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Curls on the island? Poor girl will have flat hair in 15 mins with that humidity. Why risk your life only to have flat hair?

Good thing she wasn't travelling to Victoria, the wind would have ruined any styling she'd attempted

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Don't forget listening to the radio.

Good thing she wasn't travelling to Victoria, the wind would have ruined any styling she'd attempted

OTH the chances of getting anywhere near the speed limit around Victoria during daylight hours is less than winning the lottery.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
They don't forbid you to look at signs on the side of the road either but the effect is the same.
Only if you can read them before you have to turn your head to do so. I quote. . .

"If you’re not looking straight ahead and scanning ahead of you and looking forward, you’re distracted.”

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
if you're gonna drive,,drive. Stay off the phone and pay attention so others don't have to be put in harms way because of your irresponsible ways.
tsk, you are no fun at all

unless your passengers are screaming in terror, you have failed

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I deal with those crazies eva day. Not only do you have to keep yer eye peeled constantly whilst drivin but when you're in the Walmart ye have to watch out fer yer life when the people run ye down in the isles whilst bein on the phone.

sometimes I wonder if they're able to take a damn dump without bein on the phone.