Wingnut Mayor of Masset Off His Rocker!

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Not as funny as Rob Ford but equally ridiculous (although not a proved liar drug & alcohol abuser) this Guy needs a strong does of reality.

Toll Vancouver bridges to save BC Ferries routes: mayor - British Columbia - CBC News

Toll Vancouver bridges to save BC Ferries routes: mayor
Andrew Merilees, the mayor of Masset, says Vancouver needs to pay up and help northern communities

Masset mayor Andrew Merilees thinks Lower Mainland bridges, including Vancouver's Lions Gate, should be tolled, with money funneled north to pay for BC Ferries service.

The mayor of Masset on Haida Gwaii thinks Vancouver should start paying to help his community in the wake of dramatic BC Ferries cuts.

Andrew Merilees admits his idea is radical: toll bridges in the Lower Mainland, with the sole purpose of subsidizing the ferry system and saving northern routes from the chopping block. He wants to start with Vancouver’s busy Lions Gate Bridge.

“If every vehicle was a quarter, they would raise millions and millions and millions of dollars that could go to supporting the transportation infrastructure of the province,” says Merilees.

The province recently announced that service between Haida Gwaii and Prince Rupert will be cut by 52 sailings a year, starting in April 2014.

Merilees says the cuts will affect everything from medical treatment to groceries to tourism, and he believes it’s only fair that Vancouver help affected communities such as his.

“They’re being subsidized to a way larger extent than we are, and we’re not getting the basic services that the rest of the province is getting.”

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
As usual billy you are the rediculous one. What he is proposing makes perfect sense. For far too long we have been subsidizing public transit in the cities and get nothing in return. Most of us have zero public transit and piss poor roads while billions of our $$$$$ are spent on getting citiots to their jobs. Pay up.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
As usual billy you are the rediculous one. What he is proposing makes perfect sense. For far too long we have been subsidizing public transit in the cities and get nothing in return. Most of us have zero public transit and piss poor roads while billions of our $$$$$ are spent on getting citiots to their jobs. Pay up.
Wow!

Blazing erudition and laser like insight!

Maybe you could lead the race to separate Vancouver Island from the rest of BC!!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Would it be better if there was no funding of public transportation and Vancouver was in perpetual gridlock? I can understand you're not a city person and you don't agree with your tax dollars funding that but you also need to consider where there majority of tax dollars are collected from.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Would it be better if there was no funding of public transportation and Vancouver was in perpetual gridlock? I can understand you're not a city person and you don't agree with your tax dollars funding that but you also need to consider where there majority of tax dollars are collected from.

From the resource industries in rural areas mostly. And spent in the cities. Don't forget all our supplies come from the city and almost everything Vancouver needs to survive comes from rural areas from their cheap electricity to groceries to logs for the sawmills, even their garbage is taken care of in a rural community.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not as funny as Rob Ford but equally ridiculous (although not a proved liar drug & alcohol abuser) this Guy needs a strong does of reality.

Toll Vancouver bridges to save BC Ferries routes: mayor - British Columbia - CBC News

Toll Vancouver bridges to save BC Ferries routes: mayor
Andrew Merilees, the mayor of Masset, says Vancouver needs to pay up and help northern communities

Masset mayor Andrew Merilees thinks Lower Mainland bridges, including Vancouver's Lions Gate, should be tolled, with money funneled north to pay for BC Ferries service.

The mayor of Masset on Haida Gwaii thinks Vancouver should start paying to help his community in the wake of dramatic BC Ferries cuts.

Andrew Merilees admits his idea is radical: toll bridges in the Lower Mainland, with the sole purpose of subsidizing the ferry system and saving northern routes from the chopping block. He wants to start with Vancouver’s busy Lions Gate Bridge.

“If every vehicle was a quarter, they would raise millions and millions and millions of dollars that could go to supporting the transportation infrastructure of the province,” says Merilees.

The province recently announced that service between Haida Gwaii and Prince Rupert will be cut by 52 sailings a year, starting in April 2014.

Merilees says the cuts will affect everything from medical treatment to groceries to tourism, and he believes it’s only fair that Vancouver help affected communities such as his.

“They’re being subsidized to a way larger extent than we are, and we’re not getting the basic services that the rest of the province is getting.”

I believe that any facility should be paid for by the people who use it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Oh no talking about something that piss*s me off. We pay for transit even though
we don't have a need for it. In addition we pay for our vehicles the full shot while
they sit on a bus that I subsidize daily.
in addition we have these cyclists who don't pay to use the roads in the same way
vehicle owners do yet they get preferential treatment. OK we should take action.
Those riding pedal bikes should pay insurance costs to be on the road. Yup, a
two million dollar liability policy, they should need an operators licence and a bike
licence plate all the trappings motorists pay.
I am sick to death of sharing the road with them.
Once we get the transit people paying the true cost of a ride and the bike folks paying
their share.
The Mayor has some interesting points.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh no talking about something that piss*s me off. We pay for transit even though
we don't have a need for it. In addition we pay for our vehicles the full shot while
they sit on a bus that I subsidize daily.
in addition we have these cyclists who don't pay to use the roads in the same way
vehicle owners do yet they get preferential treatment. OK we should take action.
Those riding pedal bikes should pay insurance costs to be on the road. Yup, a
two million dollar liability policy, they should need an operators licence and a bike
licence plate all the trappings motorists pay.
I am sick to death of sharing the road with them.
Once we get the transit people paying the true cost of a ride and the bike folks paying
their share.
The Mayor has some interesting points.

I think ordinary bikes should get a pass. They are not adding to pollution, the riders of them likely cost us less for health care at least a reduced number of artery surgery, and probably less for diabetes treatment and they take up a lot less of the road.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
So no lumber made or used around Vancouver these days?...
The mills on the Fraser are mostly gone and the land slowly being filled by condominiums-all built of cement.

Go into Rona to day and you'll see they sell lumber but not nearly in the quantities of old-ditto Home Depot I was there yesterday and will be again later today-buying lampshades not lumber.

The Lower Mainland that people who live in the Boonies remember has changed immeasurably these past 10 years and I've literally seen visitors from other parts of BC wandering around open mouthed-stunned, overwhelmed and completely unable to absorb what they're seeing and what it means.

This is reflected here in the p!ssy little posts from the usual small minded gits who really have No Clue that the world left them behind long ago.