Experience from Trail, BC

erich

Jun 10, 2011
hey
was thinking bout making a trip to trail bc. what do you think of trail? what things are their to do? where should i go eat? what are the best destination to visit while in Trail? or any other comments about trail.
best

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It is a smelter town. Nothing grows there and everybody suffers from lead poisoning. In fact they had to create a new category for their Olympic swimming team: synchronized sinking. They do have a great Italian restaurant there. Just ask a local. Other than that, it is a desolate wasteland. Enjoy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It is a smelter town. Nothing grows there and everybody suffers from lead poisoning. In fact they had to create a new category for their Olympic swimming team: synchronized sinking. They do have a great Italian restaurant there. Just ask a local. Other than that, it is a desolate wasteland. Enjoy.

My sister and brother in law lived in Trail for a year- they found the people great- very friendly. It's only 7 miles from the U.S., so there is that advantage of getting cheap gas etc.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy what could they do to change your expierence at Trail?
Somewhere between what I said and what JLM said is the truth. I don't particularly like towns but Trail is a place I usually avoid, not because of the people, but because it is an ugly place. If they got rid of that ugly smelter, the place might return to some semblance of an Earthly landscape instead of a moon scape, but then the town would have to reason to exist. But, hey! some people like the place, for reasons beyond my comprehension, so don't take my word for it.

erich

Jun 10, 2011
Like JLM said from what i understand Cominco is the main industry in Trail. If they were to shut down the plant Trail would probably turn into a ghost town,

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hmmmm.... somehow this strikes me as getting us to spam ourselves with tourism links for Trail. Interesting ploy if I'm right. :)

Good luck with your trip planning.

Cliffy, good on you for letting Trail tourism know what they could do to change your experience of their town. ;)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Like JLM said from what i understand Cominco is the main industry in Trail. If they were to shut down the plant Trail would probably turn into a ghost town,

A lot of B.C. towns are like that - MacKenzie, Kitimat, Sparwood, Terrace, Port Alberni.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
With all due respect to Cliff, it's those towns that put the meat and spuds on the table. :lol:
It also dumps tons of toxic waste and heavy metals into the Columbia and causes all sorts of mutant fish and illness in humans down stream. What is the point of having meat and potatoes on the table if they give you cancer. A doctor in Castlegar gives chelation therapy to Trail residents for heavy metal poisoning. They won't let him practice in Trail because then they would have to admit there is a problem.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
hmmmm.... somehow this strikes me as getting us to spam ourselves with tourism links for Trail. Interesting ploy if I'm right. :)

Good luck with your trip planning.

Cliffy, good on you for letting Trail tourism know what they could do to change your experience of their town. ;)

Methinks you are probably correct.;)