How do you enjoy music?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
1. I enjoy music for the melody and/or the artistry of those who play the musical instrument.
2. I enjoy music and singing, even though I do not understand the words.
3. I enjoy music and singing, but I must understand the words.
4. I enjoy music and singing, but I must see the singer.
5. I enjoy music only if it is on a music video.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The Tragically Hip is the best Canadian band.

They are without a doubt. Thing is "best" is subjective. So I agree with you.
New Orleans Is Sinking, a master piece and that isn't even the best they've got to offer.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I enjoy a variety of music country, rock, pop, even stuff from the big band era including jazz.
I don't need to see the singers or bands and I remember most of the artists songs and even
they lyrics up to about 1991 or 92. I used to play the stuff on radio every bloody day. and
after I got into news I had the radio on in the news room.
I personally like album cuts that didn't make it on the chart there are some great songs that
didn't make the top 40 or the top 100 in all categories of music.
I liked the folk era and some of the heavy metal as well. In fact I have a collection in the basement
that is insured for over 70 grand.
How many still have the old 78rpm stuff? I have some from before they had songs on both sides
of the record. One night I watched one of those shows where they sell the oldies and you can buy
them on CD. I had every song they promoted on vinyl and to me vinyl has a lot better sound.

wrigleys

Electoral Member
Dec 30, 2008
Manchester UK
I enjoy a variety of music country, rock, pop, even stuff from the big band era including jazz.
I don't need to see the singers or bands and I remember most of the artists songs and even
they lyrics up to about 1991 or 92. I used to play the stuff on radio every bloody day. and
after I got into news I had the radio on in the news room.
I personally like album cuts that didn't make it on the chart there are some great songs that
didn't make the top 40 or the top 100 in all categories of music.
I liked the folk era and some of the heavy metal as well. In fact I have a collection in the basement
that is insured for over 70 grand.
How many still have the old 78rpm stuff? I have some from before they had songs on both sides
of the record. One night I watched one of those shows where they sell the oldies and you can buy
them on CD. I had every song they promoted on vinyl and to me vinyl has a lot better sound.
1 and 3 for me, although the words I sing aren't necessarily the correct ones!
I have an eclectic taste in music as well and can listen (and sing along, to the annoyance of anyone in earshot- but who cares?!) to swing, big band as well as Greenday and Leonard Cohen! Most of my favourite songs are one-hit-wonders (e.g. Northern Lights by Renaissance - brilliant song). Music and song changes your mood - try it next time you're down - sing just one line from a song you like (even a Leonard Cohen song!!!!!) and you're on your way up again!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I & 2 for me with the admission that understanding the words of the lyrics can help my enjoyment in many cases. I'll also admit there are modern English rock/pop songs that I find hard to understand but still enjoy. As for opera/symphonies, I've only been once in Vancouver when I was a teen and I didn't really enjoy the arrangement but I do love to listen to some recordings. Just don't make me listen to country and especially blue grass: I cannot stand the nasal quality of much of the singing and would rather listen to heavy equipment and construction noise.