Ontario to Charlie Sheen: 'You need to quit smoking.'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Ontario to Charlie Sheen: 'You need to quit smoking.'

TORONTO — As if Charlie Sheen isn't getting enough free advice.

The Government of Ontario is rebuking the errant multimillionaire actor — not for drunken binges, cavorting with prostitutes or for beating up his girlfriends, but for the very Canadian sin of smoking in a public place.

Margaret Best, the provincial minister of health promotion, reminded Sheen Thursday of his obligation as a public figure to be a role model for the younger generation.

"Stars are examples for the young people," she told reporters at the provincial legislature. "If they see the stars smoking they may emulate them and we don't want that."

Sheen was scheduled to perform his My Violent Torpedo of Truth tour for two nights in Toronto beginning Thursday. The volatile celebrity's show has been both panned and praised.

Ahead of the Ontario performances, questions turned Thursday to Sheen's addiction to cigarettes.

Best, part of an occasionally paternalistic government whose leader, Dalton McGuinty, has jokingly been nicknamed "Premier Dad," urged Sheen to avail himself of Ontario's smoking cessation programs while in Ontario.

"Certainly, we would encourage him, given that he's a smoker, to call our hotline to try to quit smoking. That's very important for his own health," she said. "I do not judge. That's not my position to judge him. I do believe he has some issues that he may need some help with. And as I said, if he's in the province we do have programs here and hotlines and different things that can provide some help."

In 2006, another U.S. celebrity caused a minor sensation in Ontario for flouting the province's strict anti-smoking laws.

Sean Penn got off with a warning for smoking at a Toronto International Film Festival news conference, but the hotel that hosted that event was fined more than $600 for allowing the transgression.

It is illegal in Ontario to smoke "or hold lighted tobacco in any enclosed public place or enclosed workplace."

Best said enforcement officers would decide whether to visit the downtown Toronto theatre where Sheen will perform.

"I don't enforce the law personally," she said. "They have the discretion as to how they will handle the matter."
-----------------------------------------------------------

"Certainly, we would encourage him, given that he's a smoker, to call our hotline to try to quit smoking. That's very important for his own health," she said. "I do not judge. That's not my position to judge him. I do believe he has some issues that he may need some help with....."

Sorry, but that's judging..... and telling him what he should or shouldn't do because she believes he's a role model, is also judgement. He's an actor.... and acting, singing, dancing, etc. are jobs.... like any other job. They don't apply for their jobs because they want to be role models, they apply for their jobs because that's what they enjoy doing and they do it well. (either that or they wouldn't have been doing their job for so long)

Just because you think someone is a "Role Model" that doesn't give you the right to dictate how they should live their lives...... I'd still fine him, but to get on her high horse as she did is just stupid.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The other thing I didn't get is that she went on about him being a role model and that he should try and quit smoking...... um..... was she aware of the cocaine, prostitutes and all that other crap he's been doing???

I think smoking would be lower down on the list if she was that concerned about him being a role model, lol.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The other thing I didn't get is that she went on about him being a role model and that he should try and quit smoking...... um..... was she aware of the cocaine, prostitutes and all that other crap he's been doing???

I think smoking would be lower down on the list if she was that concerned about him being a role model, lol.
That was EXACTLY my first thought as well, lol.

CurioToo

Electoral Member
Nov 22, 2010
I really enjoy(ed) the Two and A Half Men program and will miss anything which has now been cancelled for the future - had a real
crush on the little son who had it all over his two "male advisors"...

Because the show was such a hoot I feel badly for Sheen but as with so many successful wealthy personalities they begin to live in
lala land as they lose touch with the realities and responsibilities of life and begin some godly personality change as if they are able
to escape what mere mortals go through.

No doubt he has been impaired with whatever he has been using and I hope one day he'll finally accept intervention and return to the
talent he was. His gift is now being wasted.

About the "smoking in Ontario" issue I assume he was told ahead of his visit but probably forgot or even
felt it "didn't apply" to him. I can see the fuss being made over his ignorance but the guy has mucho
on his plate right now and cigarettes are the least of them.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
If anything Charlie should smoke more. Anyone that is paying to see this train wreck should double their consumption too.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Here is your role model.

Charity bosses have heaped praise on Charlie Sheen after he hit the streets of Toronto, Canada on Friday to raise money for bipolar disorder sufferers.

The former Two and a Half Men star, who famously told fans he is not bipolar but "bi-winning", staged a march through the city, accompanied by police officers and several hundred people.

He asked followers to donate money before joining the charity fundraiser, telling the crowd, "I was called bipolar. You guys, I'm bi-winning right? I'm not sure what the f**k bipolar even means. It's a psychiatric opinion, which means that to me it's rooted in judgment."

Sheen pledged the profits to a Canadian bipolar group, and the executive director insists he was surprised and honoured by the gesture.

Kaj Korvela of the Bipolar Affective Disorders tells the Los Angeles Times, "(Sheen) spontaneously decided to do a fundraising walk and deemed us the recipient of the funds. We didn't know it was coming...

"It's totally about awareness, and if Charlie Sheen can bring it to the public's attention then that's a good thing. We're not commenting on Charlie Sheen or whatever he's dealing with, but he's decided to raise money for our group and we're OK with that."

The condition hit headlines across the world this week when Welsh actress Catherine Zeta-Jones revealed she had spent time in a clinic to receive treatment for bipolar disorder.

Bi Winning