A true story: She found me, 50 years later.

kowalskil

Nominee Member
Jan 19, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Those with whom this story was shared found it unbelievable. But it did happen. In fact, we correspond by email, and we spoke on the phone again, yesterday.

Yes, we were lovers in Paris; we even lived together. But then each of us followed a different path. I am 79 years old, a grandfather in the USA; she, only three years younger, is a grandmother in France. There is nothing unusual in this.

In October 2010 my wife and I were in France for a family gathering. Too bad that I decided not to read all my email messages while there. A very large number of them accumulated, and at home I started deleting most messages without reading. And suddenly I noticed a familiar name. Can it be she, I asked myself. Probably not; many women share these first and last names.

But it was J; I recognized this as soon as I started reading. I had a dream about you, she wrote, and this prompted me to search for you on Google. I typed Ludwik Kowalski and found your free on-line autobiography. Needless to say, this message excited me. I showed to Linda (my wife) and responded at once. But that reply was lost. After waiting several weeks I sent another one, asking for her telephone number. This time her reply arrived quickly. I called J, and introduced her to Linda, who also knows French. Our speaker phone conversation was very emotional, on both sides of the ocean. J cried a little; my eyes were also wet.

She told me that her partner--they've been together for more than 30 years--did not know about this conversation. Why is it so, I asked. Because he might be jealous, she answered. It did not take me too long time to convice her that this was not good--that he must also know about everything. The next day all four of us participated in a telephne conversation, in French. Then we exchanged photos, also via the Internet. Her partner, a handsome gentleman of about the same age as me, also wants us to become friends. I hope it will happen. What a story!

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)