Netflix

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I am seriously considering getting rid of my cable connection all together and going to Netflix.

The price looks right and if you have a PS3 or XBox 360 or a Laptop with HDMI you can stream live to your t.v. The cable companies bundle so many garbage channels and thanks to Canadian Entertainment protectionism our choices are very limited and overpriced.

The only thing I would miss is the News and HBO.

My main concern is bandwidth costs. Anyone else considered this?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I have (allegedly) unlimited bandwidth - but it's with the same bunch who provide the cable too. I'm really not impressed by Eastlink. Maybe I'll re-up with Bell. I'd rather be frustrated with someone in India than ignored by someone in Halifax.

My daughter is running Netflix - on real fibre optic. ON HD, the difference is day and night.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I am seriously considering getting rid of my cable connection all together and going to Netflix.

The price looks right and if you have a PS3 or XBox 360 or a Laptop with HDMI you can stream live to your t.v. The cable companies bundle so many garbage channels and thanks to Canadian Entertainment protectionism our choices are very limited and overpriced.

Already there. Dumped cable two months ago and don't miss it at all. Netflix is crap still. No titles is the problem.
Depending on what you want to watch, you can do quite nicely with Itunes for current movies and tv shows, many of the shows you watch are available online at a lower resolution. Some adjustment with transfer limits. We hit about 70 gigs a month streaming which topped out my 60 gig limit. So switching to the next level up is about a ten spot more and give me a little head room and fast speed.

Global, CTV, CP24 all put news online. I was spending about $110 a month for tv so that leaves a lot of room to buy
a few series the wife likes, plenty of movies and with all the free stuff around, Like You Tube, I don't miss Cable a bit. There is surf the channel, Cast tv, tubeplus all are free and have various issues like some content not allowed in Canada, and poor resolution. But it's free and you can get over it if the story line is good. Go for it man and if you want movies, go to Zip.ca and sign up for the 3 dvds at a time deal. For the $28 bucks a month you get some good stuff to look forward to. Also you can find whole series for like ten bucks a season for older season at various bigbox stores.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Everybody's needs are different....For me, I had been on cable for years, and 12 years ago before I retired I had decided I would be doing a lot of camping and traveling so I switched to ExpressVu because it offered me for the same price, more chanels plus portability, by just having a second dish on a tripod for use on the road.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

I got it on my PS3 but you can get it through your PC, Wii, Xbox....etc.

I like it, got to watch some shows I haven't seen before like TopGear....great show btw.

The movies and shows are not recent but are as early as 2009.

The quality is top notch, have it on my 58", not full HD but 780p for sure on more recent offerrings and they send you emails asking what the quality of a particular show was like so you know they are working on it. My son is watching all the old Sonic cartoons and they asked me about those.

I have no intention of getting rid of Shaw Direct, but I like it as an add on for media on demand.

You can try it for a month ofr free so give it a go.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I got it on my PS3 but you can get it through your PC, Wii, Xbox....etc.

I like it, got to watch some shows I haven't seen before like TopGear....great show btw.

The movies and shows are not recent but are as early as 2009.

The quality is top notch, have it on my 58", not full HD but 780p for sure on more recent offerrings and they send you emails asking what the quality of a particular show was like so you know they are working on it. My son is watching all the old Sonic cartoons and they asked me about those.

I have no intention of getting rid of Shaw Direct, but I like it as an add on for media on demand.

You can try it for a month ofr free so give it a go.

As I said, the toughest for me would be giving up HBO and TMN. Movies aren't an issue, (I can rent) but I like shows like Boardwalk Empire or my wife loves TrueBlood and Dexter.

Sure be nice if you could pick your channels. I'd have about five. They could keep the other 200 hundred with their crazy midget families and fake Repo Men.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
As I said, the toughest for me would be giving up HBO and TMN. Movies aren't an issue, (I can rent) but I like shows like Boardwalk Empire or my wife loves TrueBlood and Dexter.

Sure be nice if you could pick your channels. I'd have about five. They could keep the other 200 hundred with their crazy midget families and fake Repo Men.

Same here, HBO is great, TMN is great. I also like Speed, Discovery, Oasis, TSN 1 and 2, RDS....actually all the HD channels I get so I don't mind paying the 120 bucks.

If you are on a budget then get the basic package with HBO or use pay per view and rent the popular shows you like on HBO and Showcase.....you can even get a few HD channels on antenna.

Spartacus is coming at the end of this month....think about that before you quit.;-)