Various debating styles

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One thing I find quite interesting about the forum is the various debating styles we see. Upon mulling over the different styles, I ponder over two things, the mindset of the debaters and what the debaters are trying to accomplish. Some debaters are placid by nature while others are aggressive-(probably not much wrong with either). What is your style and what is your main reason for debating? Is it a venue to learn or is it a venue to feel out ideas you have or is it a venue to ram preconceived notions down other peoples' throats. Is it better to word ideas as a question to better draw out answers? Is it best to simply agree or disagree and move on? Is it better to violently disagree followed by a couple of expletives and derogatory remarks, or better to ask the poster for his/her reason (and hopefully recognize their own foolishness). I recognize the fact that no one has a single debating style as it can change according to mood (which can alter after seeing umpteen posts repeating the same erroneous nonsense). Politics and religion seem to be especially vulnerable to this reaction, although I don't see as much wrong with the various philosophies of politics and religion as I do with a lot of the nut cases trying to advocate them. Your thoughts?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
JLM, because I own the truth I attempt to educate others through pot shots and the occasional personal attack.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
JLM interesting topic to discuss - there certainly is a variety of people here but the majority have good intent behind their words whether we agree or not and it makes for a lively forum.

I don't know what my "style" is because I try to avoid entering with an intention of changing someone's mind, or insisting I am right in my own belief because we are all creatures of differing beliefs and backgrounds.

I do know one thing I have learned since I started visiting forums is I never improved my own beliefs by becoming angry over something that was said or intimated towards me.

Being open to change of mind and heart is an important asset to keep around because nobody is an expert at everything and often we can learn more from others who have much to share about certain topics with which we
disagree.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I don't know that I have a style per se, but I do try to live by the motto that my point of view does not not require anyone else to be wrong - and I don't do well with people who are here not to broaden their own horizons, but to broaden everyone else's.

Over the last couple years, I've posted my thoughts less and less here because frankly, it's exhausting doing the leg work tracking down links and articles that seem to be the required elements of discussion here. As an observer though, I still find it astounding the number of ways there are to declare a link/article invalid with another link that is then refuted as invalid, which is in turn of course refuted with yet another link... as I said, it's exhausting and at the end of the day, no longer fun for me.

I do still have my perspective enhanced - even radically changed - by the people who post rational and well reasoned posts here - and invariably, they tend to be the people who refuse to become embroiled in the one-upmanship and brutish style of "beat your opponent mercilessly over the head with link after insult after link" etc. until they are so buried in bs that they have no hope of digging their way out without resorting to even more ridiculous tactics.

It becomes an exercise in discernment after awhile - if nothing else, it's a study in human behaviour, that's for sure.

Reactions: s_lone

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Mine generally gets set by the nature of the beast. Walking that razor's edge between one side and the other isn't an easy thing to do. If you're not with us you're against us is a real PITA - but it's the best place to get anything close to a balanced look. I'll give back what I get - as politely as I can for the moment. Then ... there are some I just have to call as they reveal themselves.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I like debating here for many reasons.

1: It gives me a feel of the Canadian vibe. I mostly live my life in the Quebecois vibe but because I'm part of the Canadian community, its in my interest to better understand Canada.

2: It forces me to improve my writing skills. I mostly use French in my daily life, but I now write better in English than in French because of this site.

3: This a good place to broaden my view of the world and improve my thinking skills. When my opinion clashes with another, I am forced to clearly explain why it is that I think the way I do, and the same happens on the other side. By being confronted to counterarguments, I necessarily need to see the weaknesses in my view and work them out. I then end up with a more balanced and informed opinion than what I started with.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I like debating here for many reasons.

1: It gives me a feel of the Canadian vibe. I mostly live my life in the Quebecois vibe but because I'm part of the Canadian community, its in my interest to better understand Canada.

2: It forces me to improve my writing skills. I mostly use French in my daily life, but I now write better in English than in French because of this site.

3: This a good place to broaden my view of the world and improve my thinking skills. When my opinion clashes with another, I am forced to clearly explain why it is that I think the way I do, and the same happens on the other side. By being confronted to counterarguments, I necessarily need to see the weaknesses in my view and work them out. I then end up with a more balanced and informed opinion than what I started with.

I like your reasons, especially #3.

gingersnap

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver
I agree with JLM - Your 3rd point is excellent.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I never assume that I can change anyone's mind about anything. The best that can be done is to point out inconsistencies in a person's point of view or inaccuracies if they exist. Given the fact that many of the threads resemble religious arguments ( such as the firearms debate) it is very difficult to change anyone's mind about anything. As the saying goes "Never let facts get in the way of a good argument." As for style; I try to be polite; but every now and then I cannot resist taking a run at someone who comes across the logical blue line with his head down.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I never assume that I can change anyone's mind about anything. The best that can be done is to point out inconsistencies in a person's point of view or inaccuracies if they exist. Given the fact that many of the threads resemble religious arguments ( such as the firearms debate) it is very difficult to change anyone's mind about anything. As the saying goes "Never let facts get in the way of a good argument." As for style; I try to be polite; but every now and then I cannot resist taking a run at someone who comes across the logical blue line with his head down.

Yeah, more or less correct.....usually people don't express their opinion on forums to change minds....they do so simply to express themselves.

I do try to change minds on some subjects (like the firearms debate lol), but that is an incredibly frustrating undertaking.

There are some people that I simply want to choke, and probably would, were I in the same room with them (present company excepted.. :)..) Usually these are the intellectual arseholes, either with all the analytical ability of an eleven year old mind, or the sense that they are blessed with knowledge of the truth, and have come down amongst the great unwashed to enlighten them........or both.

Others I can seriously disagree with but maintain a sense of propriety.

I often remove insults just before I post. Always with regret..... :)