Cooking: What's your favorite meal to create?

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Ok, i'm sure we can get a lot of very interesting answers on this one! :)

What are , or what IS your favorite meal to prepare? Can be Supper, Lunch or Dinner or even Dessert!!

yum yum :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It is pretty hard to beat a couple of prime rib steaks done to a turn on the barbeque with baked potatoes and a nice salad and maybe a few baby carrots and a bottle of Jackson Triggs Cabernet Souvignon

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm not sure if I have a favorite, but rather favoriteS. Chili con carne is one of them. I also like making a couple Chinese dishes, Japanese dishes, Italian dishes, Irish stew (but I replace the lamb with elk, moose, or beef), burritos, seafood chowders, poached smoked cod, etc. I haven't tried any Greek dishes yet, but would like to try.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is pretty hard to beat a couple of prime rib steaks done to a turn on the barbeque with baked potatoes and a nice salad and maybe a few baby carrots and a bottle of Jackson Triggs Cabernet Souvignon

you've just made up my mind for me juan, 'what' I'm taking out of the freezer for a meal later, we just bought
a nice stainless steel barbecue, will be assembled today while steaks thaw out. Thanks Juan, enjoy yours,
as we will ours.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That will be Sunday's menu, We'll expect you around 7:00 pm....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Works for me too. :smile:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Spaghetti with my special spaghetti sauce. 2nd would be a nice pork roast with roast potatos and carrots, done either in the oven or the bbq.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Spaghetti with my special spaghetti sauce. 2nd would be a nice pork roast with roast potatos and carrots, done either in the oven or the bbq.

Roast pork is excellent and a lot more tender than most beef roasts.

Looks like we have a spam artist on board- deep six him. :lol::lol::lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
we could live on our favourite spaghetti, complete with my home made sauce, (original recipe from rome), secondly a good old english
roast beef and yorkshire pudding, complete with the mashed potatoes and two veggies, a touch of gravy.

Always love eggs, bacon, home fried potatoes, toast and jam, but do not eat for breaky any more, only
cook it once in a while for supper.

barbecued rib steak, mushroom, onions, herb salad (grapeseed oil and balsamic) dressing, a slice of
home made bread.

a very quality made 'seafood' chowder, we spring for it once in a while at our 'locals' restaurant, it
is divine, with a nice bread to go with.
I am so fussy about fish chowders though, dislike most of them, but this particular one is great, but
a little pricy, only for special occasions.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Talloola - When we lived in Courtenay 30 years ago, there was a small restaurant right across the highway from Driftwood Mall called the Winter Gardens run by an elderly German couple- she did the cooking he did the waiting- we used to love going there for Weinerschnitzel. I don't think we've had better food ever.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talloola - When we lived in Courtenay 30 years ago, there was a small restaurant right across the highway from Driftwood Mall called the Winter Gardens run by an elderly German couple- she did the cooking he did the waiting- we used to love going there for Weinerschnitzel. I don't think we've had better food ever.

I remember them, they haven't been there for quite a few years, we also went there a few times, that
place has been a few different businesses, might be a second hand store now.

Was McSwiggins here when you were here? Very good place to eat, but it is now
called beachwood cafe, and totally different. It was right on the corner where
you turned to go to the Whistle Stop, and Toyota auto, and that street that goes
around by the little airport, (which is still there by the way.)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I remember them, they haven't been there for quite a few years, we also went there a few times, that
place has been a few different businesses, might be a second hand store now.

Was McSwiggins here when you were here? Very good place to eat, but it is now
called beachwood cafe, and totally different. It was right on the corner where
you turned to go to the Whistle Stop, and Toyota auto, and that street that goes
around by the little airport, (which is still there by the way.)

McSwiggins rings a bell but I can't place it. There was also the "Old House" on 17th St. just west of the bridge. Excellent food there but a little steep for the average wage slave. It's been over 11 years since I was last in Courtenay- should go back and see what my old place looks like at the corner of Rachel and Salsbury.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
cooking is one of my favorite hobbies - perhaps my fave quick meal is Mexican relish and taco chips:

relish:

jalopeños + onion + sweet red peppers + tomato = all finely chopped

olive oil + Italian salad dressing

dip the tacos chips and you've got a great snack

As with all my recipes, there is no right or wrong answer as to how much of any ingredient you use. You put in as much or as little as you like.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
McSwiggins rings a bell but I can't place it. There was also the "Old House" on 17th St. just west of the bridge. Excellent food there but a little steep for the average wage slave. It's been over 11 years since I was last in Courtenay- should go back and see what my old place looks like at the corner of Rachel and Salsbury.

we just drove up rachael the other day, and went along salsbury, looking at our old houses where we lived.
that area has not changed much at all, a few new houses, but in general, the atmosphere is the same.
They did log out that forest between rachael and the big pipe, so probably has been reforested now,
they logged it out about 10 years ago.

Old House is still there, but they have bought all of the property around them, tore down existing buildings,
and built condos, 1/4 share type, but they do look nice.

The mill is also completely gone.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
we just drove up rachael the other day, and went along salsbury, looking at our old houses where we lived.
that area has not changed much at all, a few new houses, but in general, the atmosphere is the same.
They did log out that forest between rachael and the big pipe, so probably has been reforested now,
they logged it out about 10 years ago.

Old House is still there, but they have bought all of the property around them, tore down existing buildings,
and built condos, 1/4 share type, but they do look nice.

The mill is also completely gone.
Went to The Old House only once. I didn't see anything on the menu I liked so - we left. We were not un-pleasant about it but the waitress saw fit to be so - we never went back. It's sad the mill is gone. We used to drive by there everyday on the way home to Comox until we moved into Courtenay. We lived on Griffin, just off Back Road.

That will be Sunday's menu, We'll expect you around 7:00 pm....
Uh - Juan - I live closer and I know who you are and I think I know where you live. I think it's better if you ask me! :lol:;-) Since it's Father's Day - don't you think you might be a little busy?