Shaved Bieber lets you surf the web without seeing Canadian teenypopper

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Shaved Bieber lets you surf the web without seeing Canadian teenypopper | News.com.au

HERE'S proof that internet censorship isn't always a bad thing.

A new application has been launched that allows anyone surfing the web to ban 16-year-old pop idol Justin Bieber from their life online.

Download the Shaved Bieber application as a Firefox add-on and any mention or photos of the squeaky star will be replaced with a coloured box.

Save it as a bookmark and it allows you to censor only the most offensive Bieber mentions at your leisure.

But while Shaved Bieber may seem a sensible solution to maintaining a navigable, useful online lifestyle, not everyone is happy.

"Censorship is WRONG," writes one civil libertarian on the application's home page.

"I am going to report this to the internets."

The app has been developed by Greg Leuch, who first became a target of free pop advocates by building a plug-in that converts caps-heavy posts from hip-hop stars into lower case.

The Shaved Bieber app has become particularly popular for Twitter fans, who have watched their social network slowly drown in Justin Bieber trending topics over the past year.

Even Twitter itself reacted against the Canadian boy phenomenon.

Although it claims otherwise, it was obvious to anyone searching for topics other than bubblegum pop that Twitter had changed it Trending Topics algorithm so "Bieber" or "Justin Bieber" would simply disappear.

Twitter said its focus would now be on "most breaking" and "immediately popular" as opposed to "most popular".

As one Shaved Bieber user put it: "You sir have saved the Internet!"

"Censorship is WRONG," writes one civil libertarian on the application's home page.

"I am going to report this to the internets."

^ If it's by the user's own choice, you can report whatever the hell you want to the "Internets"

Sounds like a nice app... though I can't say my internet usage has suffered any by this kid. Reports or anything relating to him is still pretty seldom in my life to not really warrant me getting this.

But for others in here, I figured this would be interesting/useful/entertaining. :cool:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
He is highly annoying and looks like a sheep dog but I generally don't visit sites with Bieber content so I should be alright without the plugin.