Lena Horne Dies at 92

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Jazz Singer, Actress and Civil Rights Activist Lena Horne Dies at 92
5/10/2010 By Alex Hudson

Legendary jazz singer Lena Horne, who was one of the first black stars to be embraced by the American mainstream, died on Sunday (May 9) in a New York hospital at the age of 92. No cause of death has been announced.

Horne was born in Brooklyn in 1917 and got her start in show business at 16 when she left school to become a dancer in Harlem's Cotton Club. In 1941, MGM signed her to a seven-year contract, an agreement that was almost unheard of among black entertainers at the time. She appeared in many Hollywood musicals and her signature role came in 1943, when she sang the title song of Stormy Weather.

She later went on to success on Broadway and appeared in the hit Jamaica in 1957. In 1981, she starred in the autobiographical one-woman show Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music. This celebrated show earned her two Grammys, a Tony Award and an Emmy nomination.

In 1989, the Grammys awarded her a Lifetime Achievement Award. She has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: one for her singing and one for her acting.

Horne is also a part of the International Civil Rights: Walk of Fame. She was an activist who frequently protested the unequal treatment of African Americans and she was blacklisted during the Red Scare of the 1950s for her political views.

Horne's final album, By Myself, was released in 1998. In 2006, she issued Seasons of Life, a compilation of unreleased performances dating from 1994-2000.

She is survived by her daughter, journalist/author Gail Lumet Buckley. Lumet Buckley’s daughter (Horne's granddaughter) Jenny Lumet wrote the Academy Award nominated film Rachel Getting Married.

Exclaim News: Jazz Singer, Actress and Civil Rights Activist Lena Horne Dies at 92

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I heard a short interview with her today, she said, that
what she looked like was just as much the reason she became
so popular, as her voice. She said in world war 2, the black
soldier couldn't put up the betty grable pin up picture, so
it was lena horne pin up picture 'they' put on their walls,
as she was a very shapely and beautiful woman, but the
'black/white' thing was so apparant back then.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
With so much of the history of the struggle for black rights in the US well before my time, I was a bit floored to see her involvement in it all covered on the news yesterday. Do you know why I was floored?

I hadn't realized she was black. :-|

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Lena Horne was OK, but in nowhere near as excellent as Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughn.

she had a 'different' voice, no one else sounded like her,
and it was very clear and precise, with a nice tone, and
her expressions and body language was something only she
could do, ella fitzgerald wasn't that type at all.

don't remember much about sarah vaughn.

Ella Fitzgerald was the complete package, but when I hear
her voice 'now' I don't like it, just because I don't like
that style any longer, but I use to love it.
If I hear her sing something more contemperary that's fine,
but I now dislike all of that blues stuff.
She was great with the big bands.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
Lena Horne was OK, but in nowhere near as excellent as Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughn.
No. she wasn't 'ok'. she was good - damned good. It's too bad that she was more accepted for her more Caucasian looks, than Ella or Sarah - and judged by them.
They were ALL good - not ok - just damned good.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That's sad. She was awesome. Good thing she left a wonderful legacy.