The garden

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's garden time, and 'again' I'm starting some early planting. This year I have started my 'corn' indoors in those little peat pots, as, last two years I have had lots
of trouble getting corn to grow properly. Some didn't come up at all, and others
came out of ground, grew about 3 inches tall, then shrivelled up and died.
If anyone has any advice, (I mean corn is so easy) that will help me with the corn,
or anything else this season, that would be great.
I know corn needs warm soil, and lots of feed.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Hey, Taloola,

We start our corn indoors, but just use potting soil, half and half with regular earth from the garden. Big flat plastic box, covered with stretch and seal, and well watered.

I have no faith in those ready to use thingys.

Our pole beans are almost ready to transplant, but it's turning cold here, so I'm told. If not, they go in ......soon. Soon as I can round up some more poles. Or Czechs.......whichever.

Our back kitchen looks like a freakin greenhouse.

8O

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hey, Taloola,

We start our corn indoors, but just use potting soil, half and half with regular earth from the garden. Big flat plastic box, covered with stretch and seal, and well watered.

I have no faith in those ready to use thingys.

Our pole beans are almost ready to transplant, but it's turning cold here, so I'm told. If not, they go in ......soon. Soon as I can round up some more poles. Or Czechs.......whichever.

Our back kitchen looks like a freakin greenhouse.

8O

Those little peat pots are really good, you buy them as a flat disc, add water
and they swell up, and look like a chocolate muffin, with a little indentation
on top, stuff the seed into the top, and when putting outdoors, put whole
'muffin' in the ground.
I will add plastic covering, I forgot about that, haven't sowed seeds indoors
for years.
My pole beans grow good from outdoor sowing. I put some carrots in
the ground a couple of days ago, and lettuce.
I'm off to the garden shop now, see ya later.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's garden time, and 'again' I'm starting some early planting. This year I have started my 'corn' indoors in those little peat pots, as, last two years I have had lots
of trouble getting corn to grow properly. Some didn't come up at all, and others
came out of ground, grew about 3 inches tall, then shrivelled up and died.
If anyone has any advice, (I mean corn is so easy) that will help me with the corn,
or anything else this season, that would be great.
I know corn needs warm soil, and lots of feed.
Hi Talloola,
I don't grow veggies (yet anyway) but I used the peat pots to start flowers last year. They really work and maybe too well. I started some flowers in them last year. Couldn't believe how fast they grew. Two in particular stated on the packages that they would grow 4 - 5 inches high. That's what I was looking for - border for the flower beds. My perennials that were to be that high, grew to about 18 inches high last year, I don't know yet if they are coming up this year - I may have ripped them out at the end of last season as I was not impressed with their high growth and the second set, stayed all winter, never bloomed the first year and are blooming very well right now (alyssum)but they too are much too tall so I have decided to pull them out too. I may transplant them - have carpal tunnel surgery Wednesday so I have a hunch they may just get pulled out. Maybe I should have gone with something like corn. I'll have a couple of weeks to decide what to do as I know my wrist will be too sore to do much right away. Even then I won't be able to rip into things like I would like to but as long as I'm not in pain I will be able to one hand dig and plant. Flowers are easy. Everyone said just cut the flowers back. I am trying to plant so that I don't have to cut back or re-plant. If they don't grow the way I want them to then I don't want them. I'm looking to plant a flower garden that pretty much takes care of itself.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm not sure about things that get too tall too quickly, maybe looking for light, or
maybe they need clipping when small to get width and not height, but I am not
a knowledgeable gardner, just do things off the top of my head usually, learn
from trial and error over the years, have had lots of errors, which have taught
me lots, and I have a book written by Dick Raymond, which I like very much, he
has a nice casual way of gardening that I like, as I am not a finicky person, and
don't stick to a lot of detail, I pretty much just like 'playing' in the dirt.;-)

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I love gardening! It is honestly one of my favorite things to do. This year will be a challenge though as we will be moving out to our new house on 5 acres. Completely undeveloped. I have also started a lot of plants inside. I am sure that my neighbor thinks that we must have some illegal grow op going on!

talloola I don't think corn is as easy as a lot of people say. I honestly haven't grown it before but a friend was having a lot of troubles with hers last year. You are right, corn likes warm soil but it also needs a lot of moisture and nutrients.

When corn stalks get to be 15cm tall you need to fertilize. My friend used fish meal but I believe we found out that corn likes fish meal and also alfalfa meal. If you do this though, be prepared to weed! A lot! Just be careful as corn has delicate shallow roots.

I hope that you have better success with the corn that you planted indoors! Good luck and happy gardening!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I love gardening! It is honestly one of my favorite things to do. This year will be a challenge though as we will be moving out to our new house on 5 acres. Completely undeveloped. I have also started a lot of plants inside. I am sure that my neighbor thinks that we must have some illegal grow op going on!

talloola I don't think corn is as easy as a lot of people say. I honestly haven't grown it before but a friend was having a lot of troubles with hers last year. You are right, corn likes warm soil but it also needs a lot of moisture and nutrients.

When corn stalks get to be 15cm tall you need to fertilize. My friend used fish meal but I believe we found out that corn likes fish meal and also alfalfa meal. If you do this though, be prepared to weed! A lot! Just be careful as corn has delicate shallow roots.

I hope that you have better success with the corn that you planted indoors! Good luck and happy gardening!

I have a bag of completely organic fertilizer, which I bought at Art Knapp, used
it last year too, but I will also give the corn, and any other heavy feeder some
fish nutrients as well.
The garden is a wonderful place to be, I don't think I could ever live in a
condo/apartment, as without my yard, and dirt to play in, I would be sad
and restless, just not my style.
Good luck with your new acreage, I have been through that, and it takes quite
awhile to establish new gardens, and of course depends on what kind of soil
you have to begin with.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My wife has a few herbs in pots on the sun deck. Basil, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, and Rhubarb in one of the flower gardens. We have a deer problem so we don't as yet grow anything edible for deer. This year we are investing in fences and probably next year we will have a veggie garden.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The only thing I grow are flowers of all sorts. I have some that are perinnial and some that I have to replant. Maybe once they all grow in and the dead growth is taken out, I will take a picture of it and post it here.

Maybe other's can as well? That way everyone can see what other member's gardens look like.:smile:

I have a feeling it won't be long before rufus posts in this thread as well.;-)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The only thing I grow are flowers of all sorts. I have some that are perinnial and some that I have to replant. Maybe once they all grow in and the dead growth is taken out, I will take a picture of it and post it here.

Maybe other's can as well? That way everyone can see what other member's gardens look like.:smile:

I have a feeling it won't be long before rufus posts in this thread as well.;-)

Good idea, pictures, if I don't post anything it will be because nothing has
changed from what it looks like today.;-)
I also have trouble posting pictures, I have kokak easy share, but can't figure
out how to transfer them to this forum. I have tried to post pictures to my
picture part of my profile/etc, but it never works for me.
I have a nice picture of myself and my husband on our wedding day, (50 years
ago), then a recent one, but nothing happens, so I gave up.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Good idea, pictures, if I don't post anything it will be because nothing has
changed from what it looks like today.;-)
I also have trouble posting pictures, I have kokak easy share, but can't figure
out how to transfer them to this forum. I have tried to post pictures to my
picture part of my profile/etc, but it never works for me.
I have a nice picture of myself and my husband on our wedding day, (50 years
ago), then a recent one, but nothing happens, so I gave up.

I just learned this not too long ago but to post pictures I used photobucket.com. You upload the pictures there and then just copy and paste the url in here and just like magic the picture appears!
The only thing is that if you remove the picture from photobucket then the picture disappears here as well.

I also think posting pictures is a good idea. I love to see what others have done with their gardens. Unfortunately it may take a couple years for my garden to actually start looking like a garden! lol :lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
My wife has a few herbs in pots on the sun deck. Basil, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, and Rhubarb in one of the flower gardens. We have a deer problem so we don't as yet grow anything edible for deer. This year we are investing in fences and probably next year we will have a veggie garden.
My son used to live in a house that backed onto Rutherford Road. He had a 6 foot fence surrounding the property. We arrived for a visit and in the morning my daughter-in-law proudly took me out to the backyard to show me her wonderful pot of pansies. There was nothing left but some short stems! Every petal had been eaten by the deer. I have only seen a couple in our area. We get the rabbits instead.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'm not sure about things that get too tall too quickly, maybe looking for light, or
maybe they need clipping when small to get width and not height, but I am not
a knowledgeable gardner, just do things off the top of my head usually, learn
from trial and error over the years, have had lots of errors, which have taught
me lots, and I have a book written by Dick Raymond, which I like very much, he
has a nice casual way of gardening that I like, as I am not a finicky person, and
don't stick to a lot of detail, I pretty much just like 'playing' in the dirt.;-)
They did get tall too quickly in the house but once they were planted, I expected they would either die or at least slow down. Never happened. They just got a lot taller.
My daughter-in-law grew corn here and it seemed to grow fine. A woman I work with said she is going to grow corn. My brother tries a little of it from time to time but I don't think he has a lot of success. He too lives here in town. He grows oodles of other things but not a lot of corn. Corn seems to grow well in the Okanagan.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

That's a lot of property. What province do you live in?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Pretty much on the Alberta Saskatchewan border. It didn't look that big when we first bought it but it is started to look huge!!:lol::lol:
I started to write that you must live very close to my niece then but I realized that I'm not so sure where she lives. Somewhere around there but far enough into Sask that she had to go to Manitoba to have her baby. No closer hospital I guess. Not an area I am at all familiar with. Is it getting warm enough there now to plant? I thought I read on the news a couple of days ago that Alberta got snow so that leads me to believe it cannot be all that warm in Sask. either. I hope you are having better weather. We just have a little yard so not a lot of room for more than flowers. We could add in some veggies but neither one of us are really into a lot of gardening. Hubby does the lawns and I do the flowers. If I ever figure out how to use my camera, maybe then I can try some of the tips on here for posting pics. and try to show off some of ours too. :lol:

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I started to write that you must live very close to my niece then but I realized that I'm not so sure where she lives. Somewhere around there but far enough into Sask that she had to go to Manitoba to have her baby. No closer hospital I guess. Not an area I am at all familiar with. Is it getting warm enough there now to plant? I thought I read on the news a couple of days ago that Alberta got snow so that leads me to believe it cannot be all that warm in Sask. either. I hope you are having better weather. We just have a little yard so not a lot of room for more than flowers. We could add in some veggies but neither one of us are really into a lot of gardening. Hubby does the lawns and I do the flowers. If I ever figure out how to use my camera, maybe then I can try some of the tips on here for posting pics. and try to show off some of ours too. :lol:

It did snow here just the other day and it has been very cool so far this spring.
Last year was about the same. In a good year we can get the garden in around mothers day weekend. Last year we didn't get anything out until right at the beginning of June.

I am not sure what will happen this year as I am not sure when we will get into the house. We are nearing the end stages of building but because if is out of town, it takes longer for the trades people to get around to our house :roll:;-)

A small yard can be beautiful. Just a few flowers makes all the difference and can really liven it up. I am sure your yard is beautiful.
How has your spring been? Good weather??

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It's been very sunny but windy - cool winds. Obviously it is warming up because I went to work today with just a blouse - no jacket - and I didn't even realize it until it was time to come home at the end of my day. I checked out the temp. when I got home because my car reading was only 11. Even my computer said 13 and I don't know how either of them could have been right. It was really lovely. When I got here my husband both the front and back doors wide open in the house. I hope it's as good tomorrow. I have 5 grandkids I look after and tomorrow is a ProD day so they will all be here by 8:30 A.M. I'm not asking you for an exact place but do you live anywhere near a place called Redvers.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
No, that is pretty far from me, about 9 hours drive I think. I am quite a bit more west than that. Ron, however is only a couple hours from there.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No, that is pretty far from me, about 9 hours drive I think. I am quite a bit more west than that. Ron, however is only a couple hours from there.
Thanks. It was good of you to answer me even if I don't have a clue about where any of the places are. Since Ron lives in Regina I guess that gives me a better idea. I've only been to Regina twice and for a grand total of 5 nights. As the weather improves, I should start to get email pics. from Redvers.:lol: