Recession Relaxation - No Cost Fun

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
How to enjoy the recession with a little imagination

YouTube - Russian Roulette with a knife

Have you any tips to relieve Depression depression?

Indeed, there are many relaxations which cost next to nothing. Participating in these discussion forums itself is a great way to relax. Another is to play games on the computer. By that, I don’t mean video games. I play chess with the computer. These days computers have become as strong as grand masters. You can set the computer to any level of expertise you like, from novice to world class grand master. A serious chess game can easily last four to five hours.

Or I play bridge with the computer. The computer provides the partner, the opponents, the deck of cards, scoresheet, everything. An hour of bridge, playing a few rubbers is a great way to relax.

Or how about good old fashioned reading? Membership of the local public library is free, doesn’t cost anything. I have held membership of the local library (whether in USA, Britain or Canada) for the past several decades. That again is a great free way to relax.

Or of course, there is always the bull session with a friend or friends over a few beers. Relaxation doesn’t have to cost a whole lot; there are many ways to relax which cost little or nothing.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Discussing on line, SJP, is cheaper than the bar. One never has to buy a round or tip the server!

PS
Another great trick!

YouTube - got my eye on you

Spade, I didn’t say anything about a bar. I was talking about having a bull session in somebody’s house over a few beers (where you end up paying a dollar a beer when you buy a case, as opposed to 4 or 5 dollars plus tips in the bar).

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Spade, I didn’t say anything about a bar. I was talking about having a bull session in somebody’s house over a few beers (where you end up paying a dollar a beer when you buy a case, as opposed to 4 or 5 dollars plus tips in the bar).

That's some pretty high falootin' drinkin' establishments you frequent.

How 'bout $2 and you get to keep the glass:cool:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
That's some pretty high falootin' drinkin' establishments you frequent.

How 'bout $2 and you get to keep the glass:cool:

I don’t think I have been to one of those, Spade, sounds like a dive. On the rare occasion when I go to a bar, a drink (glass of beer or wine) rarely sells for less than 4 dollars. Having a bull session in a place like that can be expensive.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
SJP

Indeed, there are many relaxations which cost next to nothing. Participating in these discussion forums itself is a great way to relax. Another is to play games on the computer. By that, I don’t mean video games. I play chess with the computer. These days computers have become as strong as grand masters. You can set the computer to any level of expertise you like, from novice to world class grand master. A serious chess game can easily last four to five hours.

Or I play bridge with the computer. The computer provides the partner, the opponents, the deck of cards, scoresheet, everything. An hour of bridge, playing a few rubbers is a great way to relax.

Yes I remember having fun as well with beer and rubbers – Mind you that is in the past.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Apparently it is too early to go down to the bridges and judge the best swan-dive of the day. (stock markets victims)

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Yes I remember having fun as well with beer and rubbers – Mind you that is in the past.

Goober, when you play on the computer, the rubbers are over very quickly, typically it takes 6 to 7 minutes to play a rubber. With no time wasted in dealing cards, no kibitzing, no post mortem, no apportioning of blame after a deal, no recriminations, the game proceeds very quickly, you can typically play 7 or 8 rubbers in an hour.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I don’t think I have been to one of those, Spade, sounds like a dive. On the rare occasion when I go to a bar, a drink (glass of beer or wine) rarely sells for less than 4 dollars. Having a bull session in a place like that can be expensive.

I've not been to a bar that sells it for less than $4. I got helluva a shock when I had a beer while waiting for a flight in Toronto, it was over 8 bucks, holy crap, the last time I was there it was around $6, what the heck happened? At least it was free on the flight to Vancouver.