100 Most Often Mispronounced Words and Phrases

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah just go and try to buy and Irish Wrist Watch and not get kicked out for being a drunk.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I'm confused. Is the correct pronounciation the British one? Which part of Britain? London or north? I don't really like the way they speak, I like pronouncing r's thank you very much. I buy my drinks in a bar, not a bah. Course I pronounce r's like an Easterner... so go figure.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I hate the cork-sucking ignorant loutheads who can't distinguish between "lie" and "lay," mispronounce "Edmonton," and think "between you and I" sounds pinky-pointed sophisticated. Other than that, nothing much bothers me.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"Data is" and "data are" are both correct, depending whether one wishes to emphasize the unity of the data set as in the first case or the plurality of the data as indicated by the latter.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I hate most short forms such as 'veggies' and 'hubby' almost makes my skin crawl. Even typing it made me throw up in my mouth, a little.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As a Prairie boy, I get the cringes whenever someone pronounces coyote any way except kai yoot! Those who pronounce it coy yoh tay should be strapped to the cowcatcher of a locomotive!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As a Prairie boy, I get the cringes whenever someone pronounces coyote any way except kai yoot! Those who pronounce it coy yoh tay should be strapped to the cowcatcher of a locomotive!

Another one that really used to irk me was people pronouncing it "Fil-um", but I think people are finally wisening up on that one, another one is "buoy" (like boy) pronounced by some as "booey"

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Another one that really used to irk me was people pronouncing it "Fil-um", but I think people are finally wisening up on that one, another one is "buoy" (like boy) pronounced by some as "booey"

Yep, that pisses me off too, JLM! Booey is just plain nauseating.

Another ire-builder is youse, as in "Do youse want more pie?" "Yes, we want more pie, but another waiter will have to serve us, as you are about to bite the dust!"

Geesus, I woke up happy this morning; but now, for some reason, I sense a migraine coming on! Think I'll go skiing to get some air. Take 'em on JLM!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Buoy IS pronouned Booee. You have to differentiate it from the deck hands...Boy would be a deck hand. Wouldn't want to mix those 2 up.

Just about everybody I know mispronounces February, card sharp, federal and prostrate. My pet peeve is irregardless.

Did you mean prostrate ( a position) or prostate (the male gland).

I can almost get past mispronunciations, what really irks me is when people use the wrong word.

Ex: My assignment for the new course I'm taking asked to prove that the insurance payable account was in fact $13100. It clearly stated BEFORE any adjustments were made.

So I said No, it isn't $13100.00 Because without adjustments the amounts did not add up to that.

Turns out I was wrong...they meant any current adjustments. Not previous period adjustments. Piss me off. The teacher said "it could have been worded better"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Buoy IS pronouned Booee. You have to differentiate it from the deck hands...Boy would be a deck hand. Wouldn't want to mix those 2 up.

Did you mean prostrate ( a position) or prostate (the male gland).

I can almost get past mispronunciations, what really irks me is when people use the wrong word.

Ex: My assignment for the new course I'm taking asked to prove that the insurance payable account was in fact $13100. It clearly stated BEFORE any adjustments were made.

So I said No, it isn't $13100.00 Because without adjustments the amounts did not add up to that.

Turns out I was wrong...they meant any current adjustments. Not previous period adjustments. Piss me off. The teacher said "it could have been worded better"

Do you remember "Life buoy" soap? It sure as heck wasn't Life booey soap.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Do you remember "Life buoy" soap? It sure as heck wasn't Life booey soap.

No, I don't. Maybe it's just one of those things...I know from my work experience with fishing vessels that fisherpeople (how's that for pc?) say Boo-ee. Not boy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, I don't. Maybe it's just one of those things...I know from my work experience with fishing vessels that fisherpeople (how's that for pc?) say Boo-ee. Not boy.

I know a lot of people say it alright (that's why it's so annoying) but Noah Webster wasn't one of them.