Swayze 'may live only two years'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Swayze's interview with Barbara Walters will be shown on ABC

Swayze plays veteran FBI agent Charles Barker in The Beast

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Swayze 'may live only two years'

Actor Patrick Swayze, who has pancreatic cancer, has admitted he may survive only two years.

Speaking in his first US TV interview since he was diagnosed with the disease, the Dirty Dancing star said he was "scared" and "going through hell".

The 56-year-old refused painkillers while working on new TV drama The Beast, and missed only a day-and-a-half of the show's tough filming schedule.

He also denied being on his deathbed and "saying goodbye to people".

'Wishful thinking'

"Am I dying? Am I giving up? Am I on my death bed? Am I saying goodbye to people? No way," Swayze told TV interviewer Barbara Walters.
But the star, whose other screen credits include romantic movie Ghost, admitted that he still asks himself: "Why me?"

Swayze added that he wanted to survive long enough for a cure to be found, but said that beating the disease for five years was "pretty wishful thinking".

"I keep dreaming of a future, a future with a long and healthy life, not lived in the shadow of cancer but in the light," he said.

The actor added that people thought he was "out of his mind" to shoot the new detective series while undergoing a rigorous and experimental treatment - and without pain relief.

The Beast is due to debut on US cable channel A&E next week.

"When you're shooting you can't do drugs... 'cos it takes the edge off your brain," said Swayze.

He was diagnosed with the disease early last year, and in December issued a statement denying US tabloid reports that he was close to death.

He said that he was winning his fight against cancer and called the stories "lies and false information".
Pancreatic cancer is one of the most virulent forms of cancer which medical experts say has a 5% five-year survival rate.

Well best of luck to him.... I wasn't a big fan of his through the years, but he's being one hell of a trooper. Hats off to him.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I was wondering what was up with his health in light of this new program.

.Hopefully he's in the 15% and not the 5% range.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"I keep dreaming of a future, a future with a long and healthy life, not lived in the shadow of cancer but in the light,"

This comment of his really struck me. My biggest fear is being labeled by the way I die. When my auntie died of cancer, I made it a point to not say a word about cancer or death in eulogy... to simply talk about her life, and make it about that. Too many people become victims of their illnesses, and forever keep that badge.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
"I keep dreaming of a future, a future with a long and healthy life, not lived in the shadow of cancer but in the light,"

This comment of his really struck me. My biggest fear is being labeled by the way I die. When my auntie died of cancer, I made it a point to not say a word about cancer or death in eulogy... to simply talk about her life, and make it about that. Too many people become victims of their illnesses, and forever keep that badge.

That is a very good point, Karrie. I think that fear is valid, and that most people are afraid of that label. Being known as an actor that succumbed to cancer rather than an actor that starred in many shows and movies is something that could happen. Look at Heath Ledger for example. He will always be known for his death by accidental overdose rather than the accomplishments that he made. I hope that I am remembered for who I was rather than what caused me to pass on.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What does the label really matter? For those who care, his life has created memories. Odd how a single line from Ghost gives the most hope: "You take the love with you...."