Canadian Idol Fans Watching American Idol (Canadian Idol Fans Watching)

missaddicted
Quote:

got hooked the first time I saw David Cook

Same as me! It was my first season of watching AI and I doubt I would have watched all season if it hadn't been for him. Yay for fellow Cook fans!

Did you have a favorite from the last season?

I've never checked out Sass' music, I should definitely do so...

missaddicted
Quote:

Oliver did mention to me that he and his brother were releasing a CD soon and that it was currently being mastered. I'm really looking forward to it.

Yes, it's really good. They released a first version of it last winter/spring, but the sound is not that good, so I don't really listen to it often. I'll definitely get the re-mastered version though, looking forward to it also.

I wonder why Oliver hasn't had a chance to make it big yet. He's had some small successes, but nothing that exciting. He's so talented, he would definitely deserve a break. I guess that could be said of a lot of musicians though. It's not always the ones with the most talent who succeed...

Jemma
I don't own any of Sass's CD, although I'm familiar with some of her older stuff and have seen her perform once before in a large venue. Tonight, she did several songs from the new CD and the songs and performances were so good, I decided to buy the CD.

David Cook is still #1 for me on American Idol, but I really appreciate both Kris and Adam from this year, for very different reasons. I'll elaborate more and give you my impressions of the concert I saw another time.

Nice talking to you tonight!!

missaddicted
Yes, it was really nice!

I'll sure be interested in your impressions of the AI concert. I'm sure ross will also be looking forward to them (well SleepinIn too, but ross is the one who got to attend)!

missaddicted
David finally reached 50,000 followers... I can go to bed and stop following all the #davidcookrocks madness!

ross 1
Kris was really good in Portland. But still sweating a lot, and tired-looking. Well, he did tweet he was still sick.

YouTube - Kris Allen All These Things That I Have Done Portland Maine 91209

YouTube - Kris Allen Bright Lights Portland Maine 91209

These Portland videos are all pretty good.

Opinions? Matt Giraud, underrated, or overrated?

YouTube - Matt Giraud You Found Me 91209 Portland ME

YouTube - Matt Giraud- Intro amp Hard to Handle 91209 Portland Maine

Adam's voice sounds rough, but I like it better that way, actually. Do you think he could work it out so he always has a slight flu? Nah, probably not.

YouTube - Adam Lambert Mad World 91209 Portland Maine

The screamers, that "War Of The Worlds" intro, and the Glittery Alien:

YouTube - Adam Lambert- Intro amp Whole Lotta Love Portland Maine 91209

Allison:

YouTube - Allison Iraheta Cry Baby 91209 Portland ME

Danny, his speech, and My Wish. (I couldn't stand the speech. Not that it's so bad. I think it's just: he talks too much anyhow, and to me it's "blah de blah de blah." I just tune him out. But he went on so long I actually had to listen. And that annoyed me!)

YouTube - Danny Gokey My Wish 91209 Portland Maine

It's 10am Sunday morning, I just got up an hour ago, and the only ones I could really listen to all the way through were Kris's two songs, and Adam's Mad World. I wonder if this means anything. I mean, to me, at 10 in the morning, Matt is a good performer, but grating, vocally. As is Danny. Allison, somewhat, too. Adam is when when he's loud--I couldn't get through WLL, but Kris--not at all. People call him 'soothing.' Hm. I've never thought that. I find him more exciting than soothing. But I find I can listen to him any time.

Jemma, thanks for de-lurking. Nice to hear from you! I'd have loved to have been at Hugh's Room last night! A few articles have said that her set was being recorded for an album.

I remember not liking Oliver on CI, much, and I only got to liking him later because I began to like his personality. Then I began listening more. His voice isn't exactly my type but he has such a great way of interpreting songs. He's a star waiting to happen.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 13th, 2009 at 09:42 AM..

SleepinIn
I am actually stupidly excited that you delurked Jemma (I feel like typing your name all multicoloured - lol - but, I will refrain so that I don't frighten you). And with Sass/Oliver news too. Nice. I'm glad you got to see them play together. There was always something I really liked about Oliver on CI, and I agree he's a great musician. You know if CI had to take a break (it's coming back! I refuse to give in) I'm glad that it gave Sass time to work on and release her own music again. I'm totally interested in any details you care to share.

Thanks for those Portland videos Ross (and Carly Rae - Ironic that she was there the same day as Kevin Rudolph - who talked about working with Adam and Allison) I'm so glad Kris is feeling well enough to perform again. He's sounding good too, although you can tell he's still sick.

Matt - my opinions haven't really changed. I think he's a talented guy with good stage presence and he plays the piano with such ease. He comes across better on youtube than he did on AI - for sure, but for me it's not enough (yet!) for me to buy his future album. Now if he has a killer album that could easily change. But, I'm not really searching out info on him either. I think he'd be great on tv (host or interviewer) - his personality really sparkles in interviews.

Adam - I just love that version of Mad World.. and Adam sings it so, so well. Even sick. I totally love it. WLL - (confession: Sort of hate all the baby/woman/emo hair discussion that pops up with this song.. kinda makes me hate the song - even though Adam sings it well - but it also seems really theatrical to me - which is not necessarily a bad thing but doesn't work for me, for that song with Adam - can't deny Adam's talent though)

Allison - I haven't really watched Allison's videos all that much - I'm more excited about what she will do in the future. Since she's so young - I don't think she's as defined by her performances as the others are. Does that make any sense?

Danny's set always seems endless on the underwater cellcasts. It's not so much what he's saying - just yeah, that he's talking, talking, talking. I'd imagine that there will be a lot of talking in his future shows. *eyes are glazing over*

Random GLee Moment: Interview with Matthew Morrison on NPR http://www.npr.org/templates/player/...80&m=112791865
Last edited by SleepinIn; Sep 13th, 2009 at 01:22 PM..

ross 1
Just lost my post. I have to get a new cord for the computer -- it fell out, and I wasn't connected to the internet, I guess.

I thought that was a fine MW from Adam. Maybe because he was a bit under the weather and wasn't trying so hard? I don't always love how he sings it. Sometimes he performs too much.

WLL is too theatrical, yeah. It's a song that should be the opposite. Raw, realistic.
Maybe he can't do that. And: the endless discussion of his every move and word is sick! I've never seen anything like that in my life.

Quote:

Matt - my opinions haven't really changed. I think he's a talented guy with good stage presence and he plays the piano with such ease. [...] I think he'd be great on tv (host or interviewer) - his personality really sparkles in interviews.

Somebody needs to bring variety back to TV. With all the channels there are now, there must be room for it. You know, if this was the 50's or 60's, most of these idols would be getting gigs on TV shows after the tour. Nightclubs, too--supper clubs. Performers used to play weeks in big clubs if they were good. There seems to be nowhere to prove your popularity, now.

There aren't a lot of musical movies, either. People like Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Judy Garland were stars across the board : records, radio, TV, clubs, concerts, and movies. That kind of person probably still exists, but they're not discovered because of the way the business works, today. A lot of the idols remind me of that type of performer. After all, unlike most recording stars today, the idols had to succeed on TV first. That means they have an appeal that goes beyond music, or isn't just about music. They usually have the looks and personalities to potentially succeed on TV or in movies -- if that kind of TV, or those movies, existed any more.

Allison will probably sound better and perform better when she's singing her own songs. They probably will be songs geared somewhat more to her age, and maybe she can be herself. She's pretty good, but she also seems like she's trying to be older.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 13th, 2009 at 02:25 PM..

ross 1
Listening to Mix104.1. Just to see if they're giving away tickets. Wow, I really hate listening to the radio when I don't feel like listening to the radio. lol

missaddicted
I'm watching some Portland videos now, thanks for posting them ross! Kris sounded good for a sick guy! And his energy was great too.

Not only the operation #davidcookrocks was a success last night, some familiar names even helped us out. From Michael Slezak: #davidcookrocks is a topic I can get behind, and so can you! Yay for Slezak LOL.

Going back to watch more videos...

ross 1
missaddicted, I was on the Kalan Porter forum and saw that a fan had posted Cook videos from Missoula, Montana, Sept. 3rd. I'll post one here, the rest can be found under the username. (Could be you already saw them.)

And I'll second that "yay" for Slezak!

YouTube - I Did it for You David Cook

ross 1
That girl singing along to Bright Lights is freakin' annoying. ! ! !
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 13th, 2009 at 05:04 PM..

missaddicted
Thanks for the video! I hadn't seen it. Seriously, I can't watch all the videos from his tour that are posted because I wouldn't be doing anything else! And thankfully I'm not there yet! And wow, the crowd was loud in Montana! I Did It For You is my least favorite song from his album actually, but they recently added a wicked guitar solo at the end, which makes it way better.

The videos you posted of Matt previously were the first ones I've watched of him on the AI tour. And I can't say I'll run to watch others, his voice just doesn't do it for me. And I don't like the song "You Found Me" at all, so it doesn't help.

Adam's Mad World was lovely though, but WLL is also too much for me. He sings it great, but I just don't care for his theatrical ways.

Finally, I can't deny that Allison is super talented, but I don't think I'll really be into her stuff. And I can't believe she still sounds that good, she seems to push her voice a lot, I hope her technique is good.

ross 1
I posted that particular Cook video because it happened to be the one I looked at first. Then I noticed he talked to the crowd, which is always interesting to me.

I enjoyed Matt on tour, but I wouldn't say (as some recappers on mj's blog did) he deserved to win AI. Most of the time it seems AI turns out pretty right. On AI I'd say his reach exceeded his grasp. I was watching a video with Jake Gold on YouTube where he gives advice about trying out for CI, and he says to sing what makes your voice sound good. Don't choose songs you can't sing, or you don't sound good singing. Pretty simple, so why don't more people follow it? .

SleepinIn
Quote:

I was watching a video with Jake Gold on YouTube where he gives advice about trying out for CI, and he says to sing what makes your voice sound good. Don't choose songs you can't sing, or you don't sound good singing. Pretty simple, so why don't more people follow it?

Song choice is huge, huge, huge. It trips a lot of them up, on the show and in their later careers.

missaddicted
Quote:

I posted that particular Cook video because it happened to be the one I looked at first. Then I noticed he talked to the crowd, which is always interesting to me.

Cook talks all the time during his shows though! Seriously, he's chatty. He loves to interact with the audience. His bandmates "hate" it (they probably don't really hate it, it's just that if it was up to them, they probably would keep on making music). I saw a video recently where something that Cook says makes Kyle the drummer eye roll in a beautiful way, LOL. He does funny banter though and I think most of the fans really appreciate his banter.

Here's one of my favorites (it happened after fans asked him to remove his hat):

YouTube - Dave Takes Off His Beanie - Niagara

SleepinIn
LOL - that's hilarious missaddicted.

ETA: hee-hee - I guess it does depend on who's doing the talking.

ross 1
Crazy fans in Portland. Who can scream louder? Adaaaam!!!! fans? Or Kriiiiiiis!!!! fans? I don't know, but that one girl (Adam fan) sounds insane. You do realize that when we say "crazy fans," we mean, "girls"? Are there crazy guy fans?

YouTube - American Idol tour 09 - silly string crazyness portland me 912

That silly string assault seemed lamely pointless. Pointlessly lame.

DSB, Portland. Kris and Adam obviously feeling sick, other people either sick or exhausted. But those bubbles are awesome.

YouTube - Dont Stop Believing- American Idols Live Portland ME 91209

Last edited by ross 1; Sep 13th, 2009 at 06:53 PM..

ross 1
Wow, David Cook really plays to the ladies. I don't know if I need to revoke his guy card, or not, but I'm seriously uncomfortable now. lol

missaddicted
Quote:

That silly string assault seemed lamely pointless. Pointlessly lame.

Expect silly string at the last show... I think it's somewhat of an AI tradition. Last year, they covered (literally "covered") each other with silly string.

Quote:

Wow, David Cook really plays to the ladies. I don't know if I need to revoke his guy card, or not, but I'm seriously uncomfortable now. lol

Really? Actually, he doesn't play to the ladies that much. He doesn't really have to! The ladies at his show are already all his even when he doesn't do shenanigans like that. That video is more the exception that confirms the rule. I think he just loves to mess with the fans.

ross 1
I meant he sort of likes the attention. He plays the crowd well. All the taking his hat off and stuff wasn't directed at the women? I think it was. I don't think that's bad, I was kidding. People have said he's very extroverted. Different from Kris, for example. I was just joking about the last part making me uncomfortable, I really didn't care. I'm not a big fan of his so what do I know? Not much.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 13th, 2009 at 07:34 PM..

ross 1
I don't know **** about David Cook. Sorry if I put my foot in my mouth.

missaddicted
Hey, it's not a problem, don't worry! I was just wondering what made you uncomfortable (good if you're not!). Yeah, I'm sure he likes the attention to an extent, but what I meant is: he's not displaying behavior like this that often. If a fan yells "take off you shirt" during a show, he'll be like "you don't want to see that" and changes the subject right away. I think in the case of the hat, it was more about laughing at the audience a bit, like "why do you care if I have a hat". I'm sure he finds that totally absurb that people care whether he has a hat or not. David can be really extroverted, but ask him about his personal life and he becomes Mr. Introverted really fast. Different from Kris, but also very different from Adam for example.

missaddicted
In the end, I just found that he was very funny there and only the way he cracks himself up is enough to make me love that particular bit of banter!

Look! Another bit of funny banter, definitely also in my favorites (he's talking to a little girl here)!

YouTube - David Cook Banter w Little Girls in Front Row W amp M Virginia 3 28 09

missaddicted
OK, last two. This is way too fun to look at his banter videos, but I've got work to finish before a meeting tomorrow!

YouTube - Thinks Hes David Cook Banter - Baton Rouge

YouTube - Professional Thank Yous amp Platonic Neal Love - Nokia

Just the Neal heart hands towards the end of that second video make it worth it, LOL!

ross 1
I forgot you can't say " **** " here. Well, I shouldn't swear, anyway. lol. I definitely misinterpreted that David Cook video (the first one), I guess. When he says, "Did you come here to see the hat? Or did you come here for thissss?" I thought he was turning sideways to show off his package. I must have a really dirty mind, what can I say? What did he mean, then? *confused*

Um, before I look at your other videos, I have something to tell SleepinIn about World Idol (or whatever they call it) on twitter. I was reading a thread on the Kalan forum a couple of minutes ago, about that.

Apparently it took them a while to get Kalan included in the voting. Not sure why.
So now he's there, and they're voting for him. As I was reading the thread, I came across this:

just got the Adam fans that helped us last time to start voting for Kalan...I think they missed voting for him along with Adam.....

here's the link if your interested in chatting with them

http://www.adamofficial.com/node/313558

Thanks....that is great. Went over to thank them and told them I am also voting for Adam.

BASTARDS!!! The thread goes on, asking for votes for Kalan, and reminding everyone to vote for Adam.

No wonder Adam gets so many votes! They probably have all the Kalan ladies and the Theo ladies and the Archie ladies voting for him, too. Among others.

You see? All this stuff is meaningless.

Now I'll go look at the videos.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 13th, 2009 at 09:28 PM..

missaddicted
Quote:

I thought he was turning sideways to show of his man-package. I must have a really dirty mind, what can I say? What did he mean, then? *confused*

Oh, I don't think you misinterpreted the video at all! He is totally showing his *** (other videos show this), but it's definitely as a joke! I don't think it was planned at all, he starts laughing right after. That's why he thought he should have his guy card revoked. It's just not the kind of thing he does on a regular basis!

ross 1
Oh, his ***. Okay. By package I didn't mean the ***. The front.

missaddicted
Oh, I know, LOL! He's still showing his ***, it's almost the same thing!

SleepinIn
Quote:

BASTARDS!!! The thread goes on, asking for votes for Kalan, and reminding everyone to vote for Adam.

No wonder Adam gets so many votes! They probably have all the Kalan ladies and the Theo ladies and the Archie ladies voting for him, too. Among others.

Ah, it's all so incestuous. LOL I find it all so amusing. The selling of fan votes.. ..we could form a coalition with the Germans or Australians.. It gets them nothing basically. And yet I still want Kris to do well... it's a conundrum.

Quote:

Oh, his ***. Okay. By package I didn't mean the ***. The front.

Almost fell off the chair. lol!

Muse is on the VMA's! I like Muse being Muse. Even though Adam does a nice Starlight.

This picture of Kris is adorable. It's like he's hugging the audience.
Last edited by SleepinIn; Sep 13th, 2009 at 09:56 PM..