Canadian Idol Fans Watching American Idol (Canadian Idol Fans Watching)

missaddicted
I guess the flower pendant was not the result of a lost bet, he was wearing it during their show in San Diego last night, LOL.

SleepinIn
Quote:

I guess the flower pendant was not the result of a lost bet, he was wearing it during their show in San Diego last night, LOL.

Maybe it was a bet that involved a concert? No? Oh dear.

Yeah, I have to pick on them when they wear plaid, flower pendants, or spiky jackets. Pretty much a given

ross 1
Quote:

The thing with being fashion forward like Adam.. or say Rhianna (and which I am really not) is that people sometimes don't know how to react to it. Is it more fashionable or is it nutty?

Exactly! That's just what I think too. (I don't I have a problem having an opinion about it, though!) I also think some people think "there's celebrity style and 'real people' style, and celebs are crazy and they're supposed to act/dress crazy." It's part of the entertainment. (I guess just look at them as real people who should know better). Like, Kris is the opposite, has great taste in almost everything. But not stuffy at all. I really appreciate that, it's rare. But it goes right over a lot of people's heads.

Quote:

I'm sure there is some snarking on Adam happening somewhere. I think it's somewhat necessary.

I guess. But it's kind of like: his fans don't seem to do a lot of it, and they don't like other people to do a lot of it.

Then, people need to appear correct and tolerant. Adam's style isn't gay, his clothes aren't, even make-up, whatever. It's more theatrical than anything. But I don't think people want to look like they're attacking his lifestyle if they snark on this stuff. And fans are known to accuse them of doing that. So it's off limits.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:14 PM..

SleepinIn
Quote:

But I think people are afraid to look like they're attacking his lifestyle if they snark on this stuff. And fans are known to accuse them of doing that. So it's off limits.

I think you're right about that Ross. Sometimes there is an overly defensive tone about protecting Adam. I sort of feel the same about Kris though so I can understand that. It depends on the tone of the post really, there can be a world of difference in saying that you don't like something in a repectfully snarky way, or criticisim for the sake of criticism. There is also the fact that snark coming from someone who you know loves your fave.. it's easier to take than snark coming from someone who isn't a fan.

Just like certain reviews, I can accept if someone doesn't like something - I don't have a problem with that at all. People have different tastes. But, to say that someone doesn't have talent, or is boring, or whatever. You have to give them all their due, even if it's not personally to your taste.

SleepinIn
Oh, and the Alex Band tweet the other day about buying the Beattles Rockband.. why does this make me think that Kris and Alex got along? lol

missaddicted
Quote:

I guess. But it's kind of like: his fans don't seem to do a lot of it, and they don't like other people to do a lot of it. How is that normal? It's like he's this symbol, to them. There's some worshipping going on there, I'd say.

Oh, for sure. But, there's also David Cook worshipping that happens, people talking in details about what he wears, about his arms, about how he is the perfect man, etc. And don't contradict these people or they'll be mad at you! That's why I said that I only hang out where that kind of thing doesn't happen. I haven't been on any Adam fansites, but I'm sure snark happens somewhere. Maybe not, but it would surprise me.

I think maybe the difference resides in the fact that David and Kris don't wish to be more than regular guys. They don't want that worship. David calls himself something like "the nerd who got lucky". Some fans were laughing the other day about how he still seems surprised that more than 5 people show up at his concerts. Adam doesn't want to be regular. He wants the attention to be on what he wears, what movements he makes on stage, etc. I guess he's more "idolizable" that David or Kris, which maybe makes him less a target for snark, especially if his fans look at him as if he was already an icon like Elvis.

missaddicted
Quote:

It depends on the tone of the post really, there can be a world of difference in saying that you don't like something in a repectfully snarky way, or criticisim for the sake of criticism. There is also the fact that snark coming from someone who you know loves your fave.. it's easier to take than snark coming from someone who isn't a fan.

That's a really good point.

missaddicted
LOL. I just saw on MJ's that Adam has no clue who Kevin Griffin is. I don't have to ask who asked to work with whom! Griffin sounded like such a fanboy, but it seems Adam isn't that interested by him! Well, not interested by him HIM, but interested in his music.

ross 1
Quote:

I think you're right about that Ross. Sometimes there is an overly defensive tone about protecting Adam. I sort of feel the same about Kris though so I can understand that.

Yeah, I guess. But the thing with Kris is, he's not in a minority. No one can accuse people that criticize him of being bigoted or prejudiced. Probably many of them are, actually, but those are somehow acceptable prejudices. It's 'okay' to be prejudiced against what he is because he's the majority. So it's hard to defend him with the usual "You're just anti-" whatever.

Hey, I apologize for being a buzz killer with this subject. What you guys are writing is interesting. But if you want to go back to being hilarious, that's okay too.

Who is Kevin Griffin? I forgot already.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:34 PM..

SleepinIn
Quote:

LOL. I just saw on MJ's that Adam has no clue who Kevin Griffin is. I don't have to ask who asked to work with whom! Griffin sounded like such a fanboy, but it seems Adam isn't that interested by him! Well, not interested by him HIM, but interested in his music.

Why does this make me think that neither Kris nor Adam were that interested in Kevin's music?

Adam is also really good at implying things. lol.

ross 1
Oh, the Better Than Ezra guy?

missaddicted
Quote:

Hey, I apologize for being a buzz killer with this subject.

I find this subject really interesting! I sometimes ask myself how fangirl is it acceptable to be? How invested is too invested? How absurd can fan behavior be?

It's funny because yesterday I told my dad I would go see a show in the middle of nowhere, NY, and I was actually kind of worried to see his reaction. I thought I was actually pretty reasonable, since I didn't go to something like 48 shows like some other fans (which I do find totally absurd), but it was still weird to tell him. Turns out he was actually more worried of me going alone somewhere where I would meet unknown people and sleep in a stranger's house. I told him I had complete trust in the people I was going to see and that I would call him when I got there LOL!

That happened right before David announced the Montréal date. But I don't plan to tell my dad that!

missaddicted
Quote:

Oh, the Better Than Ezra guy?

Yeah. I don't know, I kind of like Kevin Griffin and thought his style would really mesh with Kris. But not so much with Adam. Adam pretty much confirms that. It was just funny since Griffin seemed to be fanboying Adam the most. And he seemed to know what Adam's album was going to sound like, which is weird if Adam himself doesn't know who he is.

SleepinIn
Quote:

I find this subject really interesting! I sometimes ask myself how fangirl is it acceptable to be? How invested is too invested? How absurd can fan behavior be?

I find it interesting too.

Quote:

It was just funny since Griffin seemed to be fanboying Adam the most. And he seemed to know what Adam's album was going to sound like, which is weird if Adam himself doesn't know who he is.

It is odd if Adam says that they've never worked together. I don't really know how these things work -- the after idol collaborations, but I think it's safe to say that there are the writers that 19 has working with Kris, Adam and Allison, then the people that they've reached out to individually. Then there seem to be the people that have been asked to submit songs or song ideas (Nat Jay). I don't know where Kevin fits in, but he probably does have contacts enough that he'd know something about Adam's CD.. not to mention that Adam himself has described his sound a bit. Unlike Ninja Idol.

ross 1
Oh, I remember now. Kevin Griffin did say, around the time of Top 3, that he wanted to work with Kris, though. Not Adam or any of the others. Wonder why he got so Adam-oriented?

Interesting about your dad, missaddicted.

I'm getting tired, you guys. I still have stuff to do here! have to work tomorrow, also.

I just wanted to say it was cool to see the idols and the band eating lobster in Portland! It's a nice town to have a day off and hang out in. Relaxing. Maine is very small-town and laid back. And friendly. Maybe you guys have been there, I don't know. No big buidings, a lot of fun places to go, nice scenery, clean air. Etc.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 11th, 2009 at 11:07 PM..

SleepinIn
Night Ross! I hope you feel better!!!

missaddicted
Quote:

I'm getting tired, you guys.

Go get some rest!

I've never been to Maine, but my best friend has been going there since she was a baby for the summer vacations. I'm sure it's a beautiful place.

ross 1
Oh, yeah, I wanted to tell you guys I heard someone win tickets to Kris this afternoon on Mix104.1. She sounded fairly young. She was practically in tears, she was so happy. The dj said, "You're going to see Kris up close and personal. So close you can touch him, practically." ("Oh, my God, I'm so excited!") "Of course, you'd better not get too up-close-and-personal, because he has a very cute wife. But she's going to have to get used to sharing him with the world."

The dj's keep telling people they'll love seeing David Gray, too, but they only seem to be calling to win tickets to see Kris.

missaddicted
Please David, keep your band as is: Kyle's drum solo starting around 5:10. Amazing!

YouTube - David Cook - Were Only Honest San Diego

And Kyle is just a kid, he's just 21! David was really lucky to find that guy for his band.

ross 1
Thanks for the video. Nice drum solo! And good hair.

Quote:

Carpal tunnel? That must be really really unpleasant.

I just saw this from the previous page (I was re-living the hilarity. You guys are funny!)) I don't have carpal tunnel, I was just kidding, I meant: I got it from trying to type in all those colors. It was a lame joke. (<And that was a bad pun.)

The weather is bad today here. Lots of rain. When I woke up I thought it was night. I just looked up the weather for Portland (how obsessive can you get?). They have better weather there.

Yesterday Scott tweeted he was flat on his back in his hotel bed. I wonder how Kris is? Or Adam? Matt seemed okay, judging by his bubble tweet.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 12th, 2009 at 08:08 AM..

missaddicted
Quote:

I just saw this from the previous page (I was re-living the hilarity. You guys are funny!)) I don't have carpal tunnel, I was just kidding, I meant: I got it from trying to type in all those colors. It was a lame joke. (<And that was a bad pun.)

LOL! OK, I don't get all of your jokes either I guess! And here I was all concerned for you and your carpal tunnel!

ross 1
Quote:

And here I was all concerned for your carpal tunnel.

That just means you're a nice person.

So let's see...I just was reading the headlines thread on mj's blog. Someone has stated the blog is an Adam fan site, and the people who have basically turned it into an Adam fan site are trying to justify it. Hmm...should I post, or not?

canadafan
American Idol is a lot more exciting than the Canadian version, although I heard that Paula is no longer a judge, that they are keeping Cara on and bringing in Ellen Degeneres so it may not be so great anymore.

ross 1
Well, I posted. Of course, it all got deleted. It's considered 'fan warring, by mj, though it's not. It's not "our idol is better than your idol" stuff. Or "we are better than you." It's was about how people dominate the discussion. It's not that there are more fans, it's really that, regardless of the number, they're overbearing.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 12th, 2009 at 05:24 PM..

SleepinIn
Hi Canadafan,

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the dynamic with Ellen works. There are positives and negatives for sure. She isn't a singer, but she is a performer, she's coming from the fans perspective but I don't really want her to be too much of a fan that she would be afraid to state her opinion. I want her to treat them nice.. BUT I need her to critique as well.

Kris (yeah it all comes back to him eventually - lol) said on America's Top 40 that he appreciated Simon's honesty and that he had to know when he sucks. Now he was joking, but there was truth there too.

as for CI - I'd just be glad if it came back at all.

ETA: What did you say Ross?

ross 1
Well, the Headlines Thread had one small mention of Adam. In fact it was about Adam's and Kris's new albums (and Carrie Underwood's, I think). But the comments were almost all about Adam. So a poster said mj's blog was becoming known as an Adam fan site. And that other fans were being driven off. (True.)

Then someone said there are just more Adam fans on the blog. That doesn't make it a fan site, or mean they drive fans of other idols away. How do Adam fans do that? I said (speaking as a Kris fan):
1) Some make every thread about Adam.
2) Some go to threads about Kris just to bash him. Yet there's never any bashing of Adam by Kris's fans.
3) In the concert thread, they discuss the cellcast up to and including Adam's set, then it's as if Kris doesn't exist. They ignore him. To them, the concert ends with Adam.

Well, before everything got deleted, several people agreed with me; one of them "100%", so I'm not crazy after all. Just c o l o r f u l.

One person said how a lot of threads begin with a discussion of the subject mj posts, but soon, no matter what the subject is, it gets turned around to where it's about Adam. The poster cited one example: Allison's LA Times interview. Someone had posted to ask why it was she only mentioned Adam one time in the whole interview. Then other people started on that, and eventually it was all about Adam, not Allison.

They also said similar stuff about the concert thread I did, and one said slogging through all the Adam posts is incredibly boring, and that all the fun has gone out of the blog.

mj deletes all this stuff because she considers it fan warring. I don't know. In a way it is, but in a way it's just common sense.

Of course, the blog is how she makes her living, she needs regular posters, and right now most of them are Adam fans. I can't see her wanting to piss off the majority of her posters. So I think that's part of it, too. Why she deletes stuff, I mean.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 12th, 2009 at 06:36 PM..

SleepinIn
I'm glad you got to have your say (if only for a moment) - I do agree with you that there seems to be an imbalance of Adam fans. But, ultimately this probably happens every year - there's always someone who will bring out the crazy in AI.

The deleting though is probably also so it doesn't escalate any further. Sometimes, the posters are there.. they discuss.. then they move on 10 more pages...But then others arrive that didn't discuss and move on, read the first page and they bring it up again and it's a circle of fanwarring. So I actually do understand deleting some things, but I know why it upsets you and it's frustrating for sure.

SleepinIn
Listening to the adamcast.. adamcast on USTREAM: ALL ADAM ALL THE TIME Read about Adam Cast on our blog at adamcastmedia.com. Please log in to chat with our worldwide viewers when y... (external - login to view) now that's a lot of Adam. But I have a weakness for underwater concerts this year.

I am also occasionally voting at the twitter wall - Kalan has made an appearance on page 1. So I have to vote for him, right? And while I'm there.. vote for Kris... and Theo is hanging in there.. so I have to vote for him.. maybe David or Chris.. Adam.. I really hate this wall but it is also vastly amusing that Adam and Clay are in an epic fan battle.

ross 1
Quote:

So I actually do understand deleting some things, but I know why it upsets you and it's frustrating for sure.

Thanks. No, it doesn't upset me, the deleting. I think she may have put me in moderation, actually. I don't know. I don't really like the tone of the comments on that blog so I really don't get upset or frustrated by getting posts deleted. I can take or leave that blog.

The only thing frustrating is that, with so many Adam fans making stupid comments about Kris, it's hard not to say something. Basically they can say anything, and you can't respond. Those aren't good rules. This is why it has become what it has become.

And it seems like it hasn't actually been like this every year, according to some of the posts I read today. It's different this year.

The adamcast...how's the sound? I'm going to check it out now.
Last edited by ross 1; Sep 12th, 2009 at 08:04 PM..

ross 1
Quote:

Kalan has made an appearance on page 1.

This online voting is all organized fan stuff. That's why I don't take it seriously.
Kalan is another one with a group of very dedicated fan ladies. Really nice people, most of them. But I sort of hate the idea of people "organizing" all this voting. I've come to see how a lot of what we think of as stars being popular is really just a smallish concentrated group of fans calling radio stations to request songs, paying money to buy songs on iTunes, buying out copies of Rolling Stone, voting on twitter, whatever.

This cellcast is horrendous!