Canadian Idol Fans Watching American Idol (Canadian Idol Fans Watching)

ross 1

YouTube - Kris Allen - Is It Over - Vegasmov

SleepinIn
The fan fight is Hilarious! LMAO.

You're right it's not all doom and gloom. They have set up some amazing opportunities for Kris, opening for Keith and Lady Antebellem and BNL. and despite my gloomy face - I think The Truth will be a hit. I just wish it had been the version I liked. Grr. Plus, I would love for them to release AWM, it drives me crazy that they might not. It's the song that popped right away from the album for me.

KAO is 8 pages and counting..(hello Kris fans - yes we do exist) so far I think there are 3 people that like it. I feel that they will send it to radio anyway. *sigh* Keith Urban's website forum..way easier to use BTW. Keith fans also liked the duet, well the two that commented did. LOL.

And yes to the Come Together, I love it too, and the crowd loves it and sings along. It's just fun. Plus red underwear. LMAO.

ETA: IIO is so good live. I wish the album version had that live energy.

ross 1
Hm. I'm not so sure they'll send The Truth to radio regardless. After all, remember they've been hesitant to name the next single, or release it, for weeks. If they were so certain, I think they would have released this (which was recorded, what? a month ago?) already -- and I don't think they would have posted it on the website the way they did if their intention was to ignore what people have to say about it. Of course, I could be wrong. But why didn't they just say, "Here is Kris's single," if their intention was to release it regardless of anyone's opinion? How do you interpret the way they introduced it? What do you think they had in mind? I'm curious.

Also, I'm not so sure that if it's released it will be a hit.

SleepinIn
There's a radio station in Chicago that has it listed as new music already. They don't however have it listed as The Truth featuring Pat Monahan. It's just listed as The Truth by Kris Allen. So I don't know what version it is, or what that's about. And they haven't played it yet.

I think it will be a hit, but I've been wrong before. (many, many times in fact, lol) But, I like the good version. I know we all want AWM or BWCU as the next single but for people just hearing the song and not comparing it to the other songs on the album.. I don't know, I think it's a song that you'll find yourself singing. (Although.. maybe not you two, LOL)

I don't know how to interpret the way they introduced the song, it reads like they were unsure about it. But then they are super chipper and calling it the classic.. which.. seriously.. really? I don't know how they'll interpert the nine pages of shock and dismay either. Will they listen or will they disregard.. and which is the best decision?

For me they should either release Original TT or AWM or BWCU and I don't care which at this point. If they want to rework TT, then grab Kris for a day and stick him in a studio and re-record it. Don't just slap Pat's voice in there any which way and expect it to sound good.

SleepinIn
BWAH! David Hodges just tweeted Kris back to himself.

This just said to me: "you smell like a Nutri-Grain Bar." (via @KrisAllen) - that was the working title for the Nirvana song.

ross 1
Quote:

BWAH! David Hodges just tweeted Kris back to himself.

This just said to me: "you smell like a Nutri-Grain Bar." (via @KrisAllen) - that was the working title for the Nirvana song.

Sorry, I don't get it.

Quote:

I don't know how to interpret the way they introduced the song, it reads like they were unsure about it. But then they are super chipper and calling it the classic.. which.. seriously.. really?

They say the original, album version is "already a classic". I had to go back and check, because I hadn't noticed that they'd said that. Guess it's just the usual hyperbole.

ross 1
Oh, I get it. "Smells Like Teen Spirit," I presume?

SleepinIn
Quote:

Oh, I get it. "Smells Like Teen Spirit," I presume?

Si

Quote:

They say the original, album version is "already a classic". I had to go back and check, because I hadn't noticed that they'd said that. Guess it's just the usual hyperbole.

I define a classic as something everyone knows.. don't know how they define it. LOL

ross 1
The headlines thread at MJ's is Glambert-ville. I'm getting so bored with the comments sections on that site. Its almost a year since the S8 finale, and the headlines thread is still all about the Adam fans. Can't they find a fan site? Seriously.

ross 1
I can't listen to that thing again, by the way. I don't know why. I can't bring myself to.

I wonder how many people at the K Urban concert hadn't seen Kris since the last season of AI (basically)? Or ever, for that matter? I'm sure there were a lot of his fans there, but the people who were unfamiliar with him must have been impressed. (Hey, he's impressive.) It's great how the big stars he plays with seem so impressed with him, as well. It's also clear they like him, personally -- a lot.

Really gratifying, isn't it?

missaddicted
Quote:

I can't listen to that thing again, by the way. I don't know why. I can't bring myself to.

Me either. Once was one time too many. "That thing", LOL.

Quote:

It is! And it really seems genuine too.

SleepinIn
Quote:

It really is. Kris has that effect on people. I was watching Keith's eyes when Kris starts to sing, it's the same look that was on the people in Lady Antebellem's faces, and I'm pretty sure it's the same look that's on my face when I listen to him sing. Kris just has an ease about him -- and his voice is sooo good.

OH! And random thing. I watched about 15 minutes of Idol rewind today - I didn't know I got that station. Elliott was a lot better than I remember and it apparently was an off night for him. And Chris sang Renegade.. Kris/Gokey duet flashback moment. EEK!

SleepinIn
Ps. Don't tell Ryland, but I like Drew's drumming better.

I should be working on a report.. but....

This is the station that had the Truth listed and it's not there anymore.. do do do...
www.wtmx.com/emerge.php (external - login to view)
Last edited by SleepinIn; Apr 24th, 2010 at 11:35 PM..

missaddicted
Mysteries, mysteries... I'm crossing all my fingers anyway. Maybe the station realized (or was told) that they were just too early though. Do do doo, indeed.

Quote:

Ps. Don't tell Ryland, but I like Drew's drumming better.

Me too.

SleepinIn
Just reading at MJ's and someone emailed the station -- and it was the Pat Monahan version and they did play it. They have still removed it from their list. Don't know what's going on. *sigh*

missaddicted
So they played it?

*sobs*

What list was it on? That New Tunes list?
Last edited by missaddicted; Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:11 AM..

missaddicted
Well, if radio stations are playing it, they (Jive and/or Kris) should at least announce it as the new single already, come on! *sigh*

Or would the station have heard the news that this version existed and thought it was cool and decided to play it?

Naaaahh.

SleepinIn
Yeah it was on the new tunes list.

Maybe it was sent out as a test thing. Didn't RCA do that with FYE and WWFM and some station tweeted that WWFM was the next single and then they went with FYE instead?

Maybe they thought we'd all be a lot more excited about it. In theory it sounds like it might be plausible. Too bad in practice they ruined the best part of the song.

My happy place is the Boys of Summer.

ross 1
Someone emailed the station? As invested as I guess I probably am, I'm not that invested.

It was either a case of testing the market, or an actual release. Since it's been removed, that means -- it's been removed. So either it's going to be re-done, or the release of the song as the first single is going to be re-thought altogether. Right?

I liked that people let Jive know what they thought of the song, on Kris's website. I'm sure Jive is listening. It would be nice if they (Jive) gave some feedback to our feedback, but I can see why they wouldn't. I'd like to know if they test marketed TT and what the reaction was.

I liked when the feedback on the website stuck to the subject, the song. I didn't like people scolding Jive for perceived slights to Kris, etc. Someone said Jive is hiding who Kris is and making him play a role. I don't get that. Also, what does that have to do with the recording in question?
Last edited by ross 1; Apr 25th, 2010 at 09:40 AM..

ross 1
The reason I'm not getting my panties in a bunch too much over this is that I think Jive really does plan on putting Kris over, as one of their stars, not just extracting what money they can from him and letting him go. Didn't they get something like four singles off Jordin's first CD into the Top 20? So for all I know they may have a plan that involves releasing Alright With Me or other songs after this one. They may have a master plan that involves selling a ballad following LLWD, and then an uptempo song after that. Who knows? My point is that if they plan on releasing more than two anyway (and I think that's the case), the second single might not be such a make-or-break thing after all, and we probably shouldn't be as worried as we are.

I agree, though, the Pat Monahan stuff is just not working on the song.

ross 1
And Adam's numbers continue to reflect the AI bump. The gift that keeps on giving.

This just said to Adam: "You smell like pimpage."

missaddicted
Quote:

So for all I know they may have a plan that involves releasing Alright With Me or other songs after this one. They may have a master plan that involves selling a ballad following LLWD, and then an uptempo song after that. Who knows? My point is that if they plan on releasing more than two anyway (and I think that's the case), the second single might not be such a make-or-break thing after all, and we probably shouldn't be as worried as we are.

I guess I'm not that confident...

Archie's second single didn't do as well as his first and he didn't get a third single. Off her second album, Jordin's second single didn't do as well and she doesn't seem to be getting a third one. And I'm not talking about Cook, well he's with RCA, but it's still within the 19 Recordings family.

I want them to release the best possible single right now. That should be the master plan, in my opinion. And The Truth with Pat Monahan is not it.

So, yeah, I'll continue to be worried.

ross 1
Quote:

Archie's second single didn't do as well as his first and he didn't get a third single. Off her second album, Jordin's second single didn't do as well and she doesn't seem to be getting a third one. And I'm not talking about Cook, well he's with RCA, but it's still within the 19 Recordings family.

Adam's first single bombed. Now he's going to release his third (or fourth, if you prefer). Nothing is written in stone.

Kris isn't Jordin or Archie, any more than Adam is Cook. I don't really think it's as simple as it seems, to project what a label might do with a current artist, based on their past performance with other artists. All artists are different, and the approach to said artist may also be different. Also, if mistakes were made in the past, it would be stupid to repeat those same mistakes, yet people always assume the labels will do just that.

If I were a record executive looking at Archie and Kris Allen, for example, it would be obvious to me which one has the greater potential to appeal to the broadest number of people, over the long run. I can picture a 35 year old Kris onstage rocking the house, even singing some of his current songs way down the line. But 35 year old Archie singing Crush seems ludicrous.

Sometimes labels really can see the talent we can also see. Plus, they really do pay attention to how well the artist performs in concerts, and the audience reactions. And Kris is great at that and always getting better. That has to do with selling, also.
Last edited by ross 1; Apr 25th, 2010 at 10:51 AM..

missaddicted
Well, of course they would try something else with Adam, it was his first single, they had to find something that worked.

You brought up Jordin, so I made my own comparision.

I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. And it has nothing to do with Kris. I have complete trust in him. I just don't believe at all in TPTB to make the right decisions. I prefer to start with that assumption so that if they do something that impresses me, then I'll be surprised and happy.

ross 1
I don't necessarily trust them to make the right decisions either. I guess I just haven't reached the point where I assume they'll make the wrong ones. I think they must at least be trying to make decisions which will work. Is your problem with them that they're 1) totally incompetent, 2) uninterested in artists over the long term, just trying to milk them in the short term while their Idol fame lasts, then discard them and go on to the next cash cow?, 3) actually trying to sabotage the artists for reasons known only to them?, or 4) Anything else I haven't thought of?

(And don't say "all of the above"! lol)
Last edited by ross 1; Apr 25th, 2010 at 11:40 AM..

ross 1
...And I can't believe people are still saying stuff like this on twitter:

shannnx (external - login to view): wow. kris allen jaked Live Like We're Dieing from the Script. They have the SAME EXACT song!

Good catch, shannnx!

missaddicted
I think I'd say none of the above, lol! Or, number 4 possibly.

I'll try to explain. I don't think they want to sabotage them. I don't think they're completely incompetent either. But I do think record companies right now are in trouble and they're trying, often, to make a quick buck. Or at least, spend the least money possible on artists, because it's not as profitable as it was before, in this era of illegal downloading, to release music. So, maybe they don't really know what they're doing either. They have to find a new plan to sell their artists, and I don't think they found it just yet.

I guess my problem with them though is that they often don't seem to trust their artists, especially those that come from Idol. Kelly has been fighting with her label since the beginning of her career. They don't seem to want to release songs that have been written by their artists, it just makes me feel like they don't trust them. It's just an addition of different little things that makes me feel this way. I have lots of questions. Why can't they release a song that was co-written by Kris/Cook/ Archie, etc? Why are they always sending them to write with writers from the stable even though these people don't make the same kind of music that the artists makes (like Cook with Max Martin or Savan Kovetcha, what?), why did they feel the need to re-record The Truth using Pat Monahan's voice? It's like the artist always has to compromise. When they released Come Back to Me last year, RCA also released Bar-Ba-Sol at the same time. Fans speculated that Cook had made that compromise when they told him, okay, you let us release the song you didn't write, and we'll release Bar-Ba-Sol at the same time to please you. Of course, they never pushed B-B-S to any market so it didn't work. The whole mess that happened with Adam scared me as well. I'm sure I could think of tons of other little things.

So, that's my main problem with TPTB. They don't seem to trust their artists. They seem to see the potential, yes, but I feel like they could do so much more! It seems they want to play it safe.

ross 1
Play it safe. Yes! I see your point, there. I agree with what you wrote. I wonder how I would feel in their position? Because these are such new, untried artsists. I might be more cautious, also. But they are way too cautious, and play too safe. It might be much better for these artists to be with young labels that are hungry and willing to take risks.

It's a big corporate thing. It's like the way the stick-on label of KATA has LLWD, WAOMF, and TT featured. The three songs Kris didn't write. That's no coincidence.

Sooo hard to know what's going on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A person on Top Idol thinks the plan has been to dump Kris since last May. I can't agree with that at all, certainly not if I'm basing it on what's been going on with him lately. Not only a radio hit, but the response to his concerts, and getting booked with Keith Urban, etc. This isn't Blake Lewis.

I mention concerts again because I wonder if that isn't where the money is, these days. If the person can establish themselves as a good live act. And I do think for an young artist in Kris's case, doing well in concerts means gaining fans slowly but surely, and then selling records. It worked for Hedley, they had the live concert rep, then the record success. Kris has personality and the connection with audiences, plus he's fun and energetic, and sings great live.

Speaking of Hedley, I do think the absense of an MOD type program in the US is hurting a lot of new artists, since there's nowhere they can go to appear on TV live and get popular really fast. Being on TV is like instant validation, and recognition, and people feel like they know you. This is why I knew Adam being on AI would have a huge impact. (And Adam isn't Kris, to be honest. He's not as attractive/likeable. I can't beat a dead horse any more, but I wish Kris could get that kind of exposure). Post AI.

If TRL still existed, it would have had impact on Kris's career, Adam's, and probably Allsion's and Danny's. There is nowhere now where an artist can appear, have a lot of the audience all around them going nuts for them (which promotes them beautifully), sing live to a very appreciative crowd, and have their video played every single weekday. Kris would have scored big on a show like that. It migh seem silly but it works.

YouTube - David Archuleta and David Cook - MTV TRL Part 1

YouTube - David on TRL - 1111

Last edited by ross 1; Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:47 PM..

ross 1
'American Idol': Andrew Garcia visits 'Idolatry,' talks tough judges, 'having fun,' and 'Straight Up' | EW.com (external - login to view)

ross 1
@krinja_signal Kris Allen on the cover of Israeli teen magazines: http://tinyurl.com/2uu2xvy http://tinyurl.com/2vkzwh8 (con..) about 1 hour ago via web

@krinja_signal (con..) Article about Kris: http://tinyurl.com/3xhbgzv in case you’re interested about 1 hour ago via web