Canadian Tire's Unknown History

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Canadian Tire's Unknown History
copyright 2007 - Murphy

Canadian Tire has been a tradition in our country since 1922. Many people don't know the true story of how it started however.

Canadian Tire wasn't always Canadian. In fact, it's a Cinderella story of old Russian, Romanian and German tires that emigrated from the highways of Europe to find freedom on the open roads of North America.

In the beginning, it was Tolya Olgev, not Sandy McTire, whose face graced the front of Canadian Tire money. I should also tell you that, in the early 1920s, it wasn't called Canadian Tire either. The store (there was only one) was Tolya's Tires, a small, nondescript building in downtown Toronto. They sold car and bicycle parts to the public in "Sektor Russ", the old Russian area of the city, on what is now Eastern Avenue.

Canadian Tire money was originally called 'Borya Bux'. It was offered in 1 cent, 2 cent and 5 cent denominations. Today's CT money works in exactly the same way that Olgev first envisioned it, over eighty years ago.

Well, almost...

Let's say that you bought a tire for $2.00. You would receive four cents in Borya Bux. That's two percent of the price. Of this, you kept two cents and two cents was given to the large, muscled, but not particularly bright boys that stood outside the front door, waiting for customers to leave.

Tolya Olgev came up with this idea after being repeatedly visited and beaten up by the local Russian mob boss. He needed to pay protection money. Why not make the customer pay off the mob and advertise his business at the same time?

After the demise of the first wave of Russian gangsters in the mid 1930s, Tolya's Tires kept using Borya bux. Why ruin a good thing? But the world was changing.

With the outbreak of WWII, there was a real need demonstrate Tolya Olgev's strong commitment to, and love for, the Dominion of Canada. Tolya Olgev legally changed his name to Sandy McTire. He chose this unique Scottish moniker for two reasons. First, he wanted to shy away from his Eastern European roots. Sandy McTire sounded very British. (The Scots were viewed by the world as loyal British subjects in those days.)

Secondly, he wanted to show people that they could be frugal like the Scottish and save money at, their newly renovated and re-named store. They unveiled - you guessed it - Canadian Tire!

Many people are shocked to learn that Tolya Olgev is still alive today. He is no longer affiliated with Canadian Tire and works as a Walmart greeter in Scarborough, ON.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn170jK6O4s

Remember this guy? For a few years in the early 2000s, Tolya's illegitimate grandson was the very annoying "Canadian Tire Guy" shown on the CT television commercials. Sandy McTire (Olgev) pointed out that this was the reason he left the company. He was constantly reminded about his "stupid ***" grandson, every time he saw a commercial.

Today, he rarely talks about the business that he fashioned into a Canadian automotive icon. The only thing he ever says, and the man is 101, is "My grandson is a real *******!"

--
Now you know some unknown Canadian history!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You had me going there till I decided to read more about the early days and found out who really started Canadian Tire. Nice story though.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
In this ever changing world, it's important to remember our history.

Canada's first manned space launch in 1959. The invention of Smelly Putty in 1928. Erection of the Parliament Buildings in 1901. The creation of the French language in 1885. etc.

I'm ticked that they don't teach this, and other Cdn history, in school anymore.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Yes, and the "milking" of the Baie de Chaleur.

Why we entered WWII in 1935.
The invention of the light bulb in 1868.
The alien abduction of Pierre Trudeau in 1966.
The discovery of the Yukon in 1903.

When I was teaching, I covered these and other world events. They have been forgotten, or been claimed by others. No wonder we are losing touch with ourselves.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I got a new Canadian Tire catalogue today!?

I had no idea they still did that and I don't recall the last time I've seen one.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Would I lie to you?

Other little known Canadian facts.

The automobile was invented by Dr. Horace Carriage, in Halifax, in 1881.

The Algonquin Indians of Northern Ontario created stereophonic sound in 1899. The Iroquois of Southern Ontario perfected it by 1900, selling their idea to Guglielmo Marconi in 1901. He sat on the idea until he finished inventing the radio.

Albertans first venture into processing liquids came when they developed dehydrated water for campers and hunters to pack on trips into the wilds of British Columbia. The year? 1900.

Not to be outdone, Newfoundland scientists perfected liquid ice in 1901. Even though Newfoundland would not become part of Canada until 1903, the British did not take advantage of liquid ice. It was patented in 1905.

The colour red was developed in a lab in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1920.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
In this ever changing world, it's important to remember our history.

Canada's first manned space launch in 1959. The invention of Smelly Putty in 1928. Erection of the Parliament Buildings in 1901. The creation of the French language in 1885. etc.

I'm ticked that they don't teach this, and other Cdn history, in school anymore.

There has been little or nothing taught about many of the ethnic groups that toughed it out across Canada hundreds of years ago, with some help from natives Btw.
They have not taught about conscription in Quebec 1917/1944 either, had to do with the Trudeau family i guess since Pierre was riding around Montreal on a motor cycle with a German Helmet on and giving the finger to soldiers. Not a word about that but the "progressives" would have loved it.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
There were no ethnic groups in Canada until Arthur Meighen, in 1920. That's why he was unelected in 1921. He started letting "those kind" into Canada and was rejected by voters.