He was the last surviving member of Are You Being Served?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Nicholas Smith, the actor who played store manager Mr Rumbold in the BBC sitcom Are You Being Served?, has died aged 81.

Are You Being Served? actor Nicholas Smith dies aged 81 - BBC News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's sad that they're all gone. Are You Being Served? was one of the great British comedies of the Seventies and Eighties. Britain produced a lot of great comedy series then, but now our comedies are mainly crap and unfunny due to political correctness.

Are You Being Served? - "Christmas Crackers"

The staff are called to an early morning meeting to decide on ways to boost Christmas sales figures. However, Young Mr. Grace has already decided that all the floor staff will have to wear novelty costumes, something which none of them are too happy about.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Mrs. Slocombe: You know, there's only two things I like about Germany: Curt Jurgens and Gorgonzola."
Miss Brahms
: Gorgonzola isn't German!
Mrs. Slocombe
: Oh. Then there's only one thing I like... No! I tell a lie. I like Irving Berlin!

Mr. Lucas: Here, listen to this, you'll never guess what the German for "cuff links" is.
Mr. Humphries
: What?
Mr. Lucas: Manschettenknopf.
Mr. Humphries
: I don't expect they'll sell any with a name like that.

Mrs. Slocombe: How are you today, Mr. Humphries?
Mr. Humphries
: Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, Mrs. Slocombe.
Mrs. Slocombe
: *gasps* You've brought on my dream! Last night I dreamed that you were Squirrel Nutkin and I was a little lady squirrel. And you built your house half way up an oak tree.
Mr. Humphries
: Was it thatched in dandelion leaves?
Mrs. Slocombe
: *gasps again* How'd you guess?
Mr. Humphries
: I never use anything else!
Mrs. Slocombe: Well, anyway, I climbed up your tree and I knocked on your little door, only you pretended you weren't in, so I had to kick it down. And there you were, hiding behind your acorns. What do you suppose that means?
Mr. Humphries
: It means that I'll have to build it a good size higher next year.

Mrs Slocombe: Would you like my pump up your proboscis?
Mr Harman
: Are you trying to put the wind up me?