let's cooking ( traditional foods)

Mahan

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2015
Islamic Republic of Iran
hi there , I don't know what's your favourite food and your Food habits , but I'm sure you love this one called " mirza Ghasemi " . I got the Recipe from one of my friends . you can put the Recipe of your traditional foods at here.

Mirza Ghasemi (Baademjaan Ghasemi)
Ingredients: (6 servings)

8 small seedless eggplants
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 eggs
2 medium tomatos
1/3 cup of cooking oil
slat
black pepper

Directions:

Bake the eggplants in oven until cooked.(It 's better to grill the eggplant )This occurs when the eggplants swell and the skin bursts. Take eggplants out of oven and let them cool down slightly. Peel them and cut the hard tops. Cut into small pieces.

Bring water to boil in a small pot. Cook tomatos in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain the pot and let cool slightly. Peel them and cut into small pieces.

Fry garlic in oil over medium heat until golden (that's really Important). Add eggplants and fry further for 3-4 minutes. Add tomatos, salt and pepper and fry until the excess water is gone.

Beat eggs well with a fork and fry separately until half-cooked. Add to eggplants, mix and fry further for 1-2 minutes. Can be served with white rice or Iranian bread ( Iranian bread is thin and soft called : Lavash (لواش) ) . This is a delicious dish from a region by the Caspian sea in northern Iran .
( Mirza Ghasemi sould be Spicy so you should add enough garlic )

Warining : be aware and don't eat you fingers :)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
hi there , I don't know what's your favourite food and your Food habits , but I'm sure you love this one called " mirza Ghasemi " . I got the Recipe from one of my friends . you can put the Recipe of your traditional foods at here.

Mirza Ghasemi (Baademjaan Ghasemi)
Ingredients: (6 servings)

8 small seedless eggplants
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 eggs
2 medium tomatos
1/3 cup of cooking oil
slat
black pepper

Directions:

Bake the eggplants in oven until cooked.(It 's better to grill the eggplant )This occurs when the eggplants swell and the skin bursts. Take eggplants out of oven and let them cool down slightly. Peel them and cut the hard tops. Cut into small pieces.

Bring water to boil in a small pot. Cook tomatos in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain the pot and let cool slightly. Peel them and cut into small pieces.

Fry garlic in oil over medium heat until golden (that's really Important). Add eggplants and fry further for 3-4 minutes. Add tomatos, salt and pepper and fry until the excess water is gone.

Beat eggs well with a fork and fry separately until half-cooked. Add to eggplants, mix and fry further for 1-2 minutes. Can be served with white rice or Iranian bread ( Iranian bread is thin and soft called : Lavash (لواش) ) . This is a delicious dish from a region by the Caspian sea in northern Iran .
( Mirza Ghasemi sould be Spicy so you should add enough garlic )

Warining : be aware and don't eat you fingers :)

Sounds very tasty.

All Canadian cooking starts with:

Step one - kill a moose.

That's the first sentence in every poutine recipe I've ever seen.

Tourtiere
Ingredients:
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground veal
¼ to 1/3 cups of water
Salt and pepper.
Cook slowly over low-medium heat until meat thoroughly cooked. Spoon into prepared pie shells with a spoonful of juice and freeze in air tight freezer bags.
Pie dough
1 lb lard
5-6 cups flour
1-2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon vinegar
Cold water
Put flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in lard. Put egg and vinegar into a measuring cup then add enough cold water to make a full cup. Add liquid to flour mixture. Mix well.
To bake:
From frozen bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour, until crust is nicely browned and interior is thoroughly heated.

Sound plain? It's not, it's actually very tasty.

And very Canadian.

No moose though.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Egg and Chips

How to make the traditional British working class dish of egg and chips:

Chop potatoes up into chunky chips and fry them in deep-fat fryer.

Fry desired number of eggs in a frying pan.

Add condiment/s to tase.

Quick and simple in a very typically British, understated way. None of that faffing about like with all that silly foreign rubbish.

As food writer Mary Cadogan said: "Egg and chips for me is a marriage made in heaven. Whenever I feel the need of a bit of comfort eating this is the dish I usually turn to."

Jack Charlton (above, with the World Cup trophy), after playing in the World Cup-winning England football team in 1966, remarked: "We stopped the car for egg and chips in a transport cafe. We'd eaten nothing but the best food for weeks and I was dying for some ordinary grub."

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Head Cheese Recipe by Don
"This is a very old recipe handed down in my family through the years. It is almost always made around Christmas. As far as I know, I am the only one left in the family who knows how to make it. It is very time consuming, so be prepared to spend the better part of a day to make it."

• PREP
    5 hrs
  • COOK
    1 hr
  • READY IN
    14 hrs

Directions

1. Place pork hocks, veal shank and salt in large kettle. Cover entirely with water. Bring to full boil then reduce heat to slow simmer. Cook until fork penetrates meat easily. Periodically rearrange meat so it doesn't stick to bottom of kettle. Skim off scum which forms on top of water. Keep adding boiling water to keep meat covered until done.
  2. When meat is done, place on large cookie sheet for cooling. Strain remaining water into another kettle to remove any small bones and other matter; set aside strained water. Place meat on tray and cool. Remove all fat and bones. Dice remaining meat, skin and soft gristle. Add diced meat to strained water. Bring to full boil and reduce to very slow simmer. Add salt to taste at this time. Periodically test mixture to see if it sets by pouring a small amount in a bowl and putting in freezer. Mixture is set when it is the consistency of jello. Add vinegar and nutmeg and remove from heat.
  3. Ladle into bread pans making sure to distribute meat evenly. Fill pans no more than 3/4 full. Leave at room temperature until cool then refrigerate overnight. Next day, unmold onto plastic wrap and double wrap in foil. refrigerate until ready to use. To serve, remove any fat from top of loaves and cut into chunks. Some prefer more vinegar and salt added at this time.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Beans on Toast

No, not the British folk singer, but another simple British dish that doesn't take a lot of needless faffing about and ingredients that are almost impossible to find. Just normal, down to earth fare.

Whazz desired number of slices of bread in toaster or grill (whichever method you prefer).

Warm desired amount of baked beans in a saucepan or in the microwave (whichever method you prefer).

Once toasted, butter the toasted bread with butter or margarine.

Place the slices on a plate and cover with the baked beans.

Add condiment(s) as desirous.

Also nice with some grated cheese sprinkled on top.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Beans on Toast

No, not the British folk singer, but another simple British dish that doesn't take a lot of needless faffing about and ingredients that are almost impossible to find. Just normal, down to earth fare.

Whazz desired number of slices of bread in toaster or grill (whichever method you prefer).

Warm desired amount of baked beans in a saucepan or in the microwave (whichever method you prefer).

Once toasted, butter the toasted bread with butter or margarine.

Place the slices on a plate and cover with the baked beans.

Add condiment(s) as desirous.

Also nice with some grated cheese sprinkled on top.
looks like one of those "time to go to the store",,recipes.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
looks like one of those "time to go to the store",,recipes.

Too right. It's great for breakfast, or even for tea, when I like to sit on the couch and eat it whilst I try to think of as many countries ending in "...ia" as possible on Pointless.

And you don't have to faff about trying to find mung beans, banana wax peppers, lemon grass, vanilla pods, coconut milk or stick insects on a cocktail stick. Just normal, down to earth grub.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Too right. It's great for breakfast, or even for tea, when I like to sit on the couch and eat it whilst I try to think of as many countries ending in "...ia" as possible on Pointless.

And you don't have to faff about trying to find mung beans, banana wax peppers, lemon grass, vanilla pods, coconut milk or stick insects on a cocktail stick. Just normal, down to earth grub.
The kind of food that's fuelled the English team to win the World Cup. . . how many times, Blackleaf?

Four for Germany.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Head Cheese Recipe by Don
"This is a very old recipe handed down in my family through the years. It is almost always made around Christmas. As far as I know, I am the only one left in the family who knows how to make it. It is very time consuming, so be prepared to spend the better part of a day to make it."

• PREP
    5 hrs
  • COOK
    1 hr
  • READY IN
    14 hrs

Directions

1. Place pork hocks, veal shank and salt in large kettle. Cover entirely with water. Bring to full boil then reduce heat to slow simmer. Cook until fork penetrates meat easily. Periodically rearrange meat so it doesn't stick to bottom of kettle. Skim off scum which forms on top of water. Keep adding boiling water to keep meat covered until done.
  2. When meat is done, place on large cookie sheet for cooling. Strain remaining water into another kettle to remove any small bones and other matter; set aside strained water. Place meat on tray and cool. Remove all fat and bones. Dice remaining meat, skin and soft gristle. Add diced meat to strained water. Bring to full boil and reduce to very slow simmer. Add salt to taste at this time. Periodically test mixture to see if it sets by pouring a small amount in a bowl and putting in freezer. Mixture is set when it is the consistency of jello. Add vinegar and nutmeg and remove from heat.
  3. Ladle into bread pans making sure to distribute meat evenly. Fill pans no more than 3/4 full. Leave at room temperature until cool then refrigerate overnight. Next day, unmold onto plastic wrap and double wrap in foil. refrigerate until ready to use. To serve, remove any fat from top of loaves and cut into chunks. Some prefer more vinegar and salt added at this time.
Shoulder ham bone and meat from such takes the flavor over the top.

Unless you're in BC then it's catch a salmon. Sockeye, Spring, Coho, Pink, etc

I prefer SK trout.