New Discovery Channel Boss Says "No More Bullsh*t" Policy

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well, sure. One should be able to discover more on the Discovery Channel than the stupid lengths people will go to in order to be on the Discovery Channel.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I hope that he is merely the leader in returning some quality programming to TV...we pay more than we ever have, we can access more stations than ever before and there is less than nothing on 90% of the channels...

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
one thing that I hate are all the mockumentaries on discovery, history, etc. :(

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Life after ‘Honey Boo Boo’: Inside Discovery’s fight to grow up

Now, as cord-cutters and online video plunge the cable business into chaos, Discovery is fighting aggressively to return to its roots, spending millions on glossy documentaries, science shows and “environmental advocacy campaigns” in a bet that smarter, more-distinctive programming will help it survive the new age of TV.

But that gamble has led to fresh worries and an identity crisis for Discovery Communications, the Silver Spring, Md.-based owner of Animal Planet, TLC and some of TV’s most lampooned franchises: Can viewers turned off by years of reality junk food ever take Discovery seriously again?

“One day we just came in and looked at each other and said, ‘You know, no more bearded guys in the kitchen with f---ing pigs running through the living room,’ ” Discovery head David Zaslav, the highest-paid chief executive in the United States, said one recent afternoon in his eighth-floor office in Manhattan. “Let’s get back to who we really are. We’re about satisfying curiosity. Let’s forget about the ratings right now and let’s chase what the brand is at its best.”

Discovery’s big bet highlights a key anxiety for America’s TV titans, who are increasingly losing the paying audience they counted on for decades to stay afloat. About 17 percent of U.S. households, or 21 million homes, have dropped (or never signed up for) cable, a cord-cutting wave that led investors this summer to stage a $50 billion sell-off of media stocks.

Discovery’s TLC brand — founded in the 1970s by the U.S. government as a free educational network, The Learning Channel — carved out its own profitable niche with syrupy “lifestyle” fare such as “Sister Wives,” “My Big Fat Fabulous Life” and “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,” named for its Red Bull-chugging child “beauty queen.”

But that push toward tabloid-friendly TV also seemed to bleed into Discovery’s bedrock educational fare. The Discovery Channel was widely criticized in 2014 after airing “Eaten Alive,” in which a snake expert failed to get swallowed by an anaconda, and “Megalodon: The New Evidence,” which falsely suggested history’s largest “monster shark” was still alive.

To distinguish itself, Discovery has doubled down on its old-school core of natural history, animal conservation and ad­ven­ture specials. The media giant tapped John Hoffman, an HBO veteran known for rigorous looks at American obesity and Alzheimer’s disease, to become its new boss of documentaries, with the mandate to ignore ratings and shoot for big talkers with award potential and strong reviews.

Hoffman’s first big move was picking up “Racing Extinction,” an eco-vigilante tale from the creators of the Oscar-winning documentary “The Cove” that mixes lushly shot explorations on the dangers of climate change with tense guerrilla stings inside the endangered-species black market.

The documentary, which will kick off a new wave of science specials planned for 2016, is exactly what Zaslav wants people to connect to Discovery — not the other stuff. When meeting a reporter in New York, he showed off a glowing Rolling Stone piece — “How ‘Racing Extinction’ Could Save the World” — and grinned in the way one would expect a millionaire to grin after seeing his network’s showpiece anointed savior of the planet.

The risk, of course, is that Americans may not want nuanced conversations of topics such as animal conservation, whether they pay for cable or not.

That pressure to stay alive is real for Zaslav. Though the company’s stock fell 24 percent in 2014, “Zas,” as his friends call him, was paid $156 million — more than the chiefs of CBS, Comcast and Disney combined. Much of that money will come in stock awards he will pocket over the next six years, giving him millions of reasons to keep the company in high gear.

Don’t expect Discovery’s back-to-basics pledge to see much airtime on gleefully lowbrow channels such as TLC. “Long Island Medium,” whose host says she can commune with the dead, just launched its seventh season with a holiday special that the network said will include “readings focused solely on children.”

more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...9eeaff906ef3_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop_b

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Just finished watching 'Drain the Great Lakes' on Discovery and about to watch, 'Drain the Titanic'. Really cool graphics and animations reveal lake bottoms and explain how they were formed. They've found a meteor crater in one of them. They also showed the wrecks of several ships including the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The Titanic one is just as interesting. Good on Discovery.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Always liked the discovery channel and the PBS show "Nova". I also like all of the Ken Burn documentaries.

Ken Burn's documentaries spurred me to become a PBS sustainer. The first one I watched was The National Parks and I eagerly looked forward to every one after that as I knew that I would learn something valuable in each one.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I haven't had cable television in about four years, I went completely internet, where I can pick and choose what I want to watch, rather than having the CRTC spoon feed me garbage programming.

Glad to see Discovery is trying to clean up its act, but its the folks that watch Pawn Stars, Ice Road Truckers and Dog the Bounty Hunter who will be voting for Trump.