Dr. Oz asks Twitter for questions, gets hate

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
don't know much about this douchebag but I guess he's one of those celebrodoctors people are swooning over...anyway:

Dr. Oz is the latest celebrity to find out that Twitter call-outs can backfire. In a big way.

On Tuesday, Mehmet Oz put out a Tweet, saying, "What is your biggest question for me?" He promised to answer his favorites on his website, DoctorOz.com.
What is your biggest question for me? Reply with #OzsInbox and I'll answer my favorites on The Dr. Oz Show | The Dr. Oz Show.
— Dr. Mehmet Oz (@DrOz) November 11, 2014
But along with some serious medical and health questions, he got a lot of vitriol and name-calling, with the word "quackery" mentioned more than once.

Oz came under fire in June when he was "grilled" and "scolded" by a Senate panel on consumer protection, asked why he was describing certain supplements on his show as a "magic weight-loss cure," and "the No. 1 miracle in a bottle."

After the hearing, he seemed unscathed and posted a Facebook note saying he looked forward to finding a way to "deal" with scams.
But apparently some of the skepticism over what he does is lingering.
Dear @DrOz: is quackery a miracle weight loss cure? Something tells me your walls are going to be a lot lighter w/o your license #OzsInbox
— Jenn (@FluffieDucky) November 13, 2014
.@DrOz what's your favorite snake oil? How do you sleep at night? #OzsInbox
— Chow Babe (@Chow_Babe) November 11, 2014
.@DrOz#OzsInbox Why have you not been censured or fired from @ColumbiaSurgery for conduct unbecoming a physician, scientist, and gentlemen?
— Sunil K Sahai MD (@DrSunilKSahai) November 12, 2014
@DrOz What has been your most profitable lie for money so far? #OzsInbox
— Robbie G (@Gruntfutuck) November 11, 2014
#OzsInbox is it too much to ask for a TV show which promotes good medicine without mixing in large amounts of quackery and snake oil?
— ACL (@locka99) November 13, 2014
How do I get my patients to stop believing your bull? #OzsInbox?
— Cathleen London MD (@DrChaya) November 13, 2014
I have heard a bed of money from kickbacks for promoting fake diet products is rather uncomfortable, so how DO you sleep at night? #OzsInbox
— Dane Rauschenberg (@SeeDaneRun) November 13, 2014
How do you manage to talk for a 42 minute show daily without actually saying anything medically factual but keep a daytime show? #OzsInbox
— Amber Remagen (@mentallyerratic) November 13, 2014

Dr. Oz asks Twitter for questions, gets hate

some bonus Oz-bits just because I like The Amazing Randi and his smart randy dudes:

Dr. Oz has been "honored" by the James Randi Educational Foundation with their Pigasus Award, an award intended "to expose parapsychological, paranormal or psychic frauds that Randi has noted over the previous year."[36] The award consists of a silver flying pig and refers to claiming something so doubtful that it will only happen "when pigs fly." Dr. Oz has been given this award on three separate occasions, more than any other recipient:

• First in 2009 for promotion of energy therapies such as Reiki.[37]

• And, in 2012, Oz won "The Pigasus Award for Refusal to Face Reality" for his continued promotion of "quack medical practices, paranormal belief, and pseudoscience."[37]

Mehmet Oz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
the guy hasn't been highly regarded in years

he was a novelty at first, probably even great at first, there were lots of tips he gave that could be backed up by research...see his audience; mostly extremely overweight, uneducated, fawning women.

Now buddy is on some channel doing case studies of his surgeries, I would imagine this is his attempt at rep/career saving.

Another Oprah find bites the dust.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I tried to watch his shows but found them tiring to say the least as they appear to be somewhat mythical.

Well, after all, his name is Oz and some folks say he is nothing more than an ad man for some health food companies who should be ignored like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz movie.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
the guy hasn't been highly regarded in years

he was a novelty at first, probably even great at first, there were lots of tips he gave that could be backed up by research...see his audience; mostly extremely overweight, uneducated, fawning women.

Now buddy is on some channel doing case studies of his surgeries, I would imagine this is his attempt at rep/career saving.

Another Oprah find bites the dust.

He probably was legitimate at first find. Then he sold out.

I think the only successful thing Oprah found (other than the fridge) is Dr. Phil.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I tried to watch his shows but found them tiring to say the least as they appear to be somewhat mythical.

Well, after all, his name is Oz and some folks say he is nothing more than an ad man for some health food companies who should be ignored like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz movie.

I have actually managed to watch his show a few times, maybe a decade ago...it amazed me just how long he lasted and his popularity, but the internet is there at our finger tips...do some research for god's sake, it's not that hard to understand exactly what goes into your mouth and how it affects the body...and he does advocate healthy eating so that is good, but if you took every pill this quack advocates you'd explode