The Rivingtons they had a hit called Papa OoMow Mow
they were back in 1965 as the trashmen with Bird is the Word

Birds and the Bees with Jewel Akin

name some more and see who brings back a memory for someone else

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
hmm interesting topic. There are probably a few.

Warren Zevon - Werewolves of London
Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yeah, Wolverton Mountain - 1962.
The singer's name just came to me................Claude King.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Kumars - Spirit in the Sky

A charity single with Gareth Gates for Comic Relief 2003.

The Kumars are a fictional British Indian family (played by British Indian comedy actors) who, between 2001 and 2006, were the stars of comedy series The Kumars at No.42. The Kumars live in Wembley, north west London, and consist of thirty-something Sanjeev Kumar, his parents, Madhuri and Ashwin, and his grandmother, Ummi (played by Meera Syal, who used make-up to make her appear much older than she actually is). The show's central premise is that Sanjeev's parents have supported his dream of being a television presenter by having a TV studio built on what used to be their back garden. In each episode the family would be visited by a celeb at their home and then Sanjeev would conduct a hilarious interview with that celebrity with his embarrassing parents and grandmother watching and making funny remarks. Running jokes include Sanjeev's apparent social ineptitude, and Ashwin's obsession with financial matters and his tendency to tell long stories with no real point, and Ummi's stories of her absurd exploits with her childhood friend Saraswati the bicycle (so named because of her contortionist skills). It is also a regular conceit that the guests' appearance fees are paid in chutney.

The same actors who appeared as the Kumars also starred together in BBC comedy series Goodness Gracious Me, in which they each played a number of British Indian characters. The show explored the conflict and integration between traditional Indian culture and modern British life. Some sketches reversed the roles to view the British from an Indian perspective, and others poked fun at Indian stereotypes.

Gareth Gates - Spirit In The Sky - YouTube

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

To me, Warren Zevon doesn't really qualify as a "one hit wonder" because although his other work wasn't as great a success as "Werewolves of London", he still writing and making music and had a larger impact. Almost like J.J. Cale, who wrote "Cocaine" and "After Midnight", which Eric Clapton made famous. When you look at the artists who contributed to Zevon's 2004 tribute album (after he died of cancer), they include Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, and Bob Dylan, among others.

Now that I stirred that pot, a couple songs I think of off the top of my head as One Hit wonders, would be like:

Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Come On Eileen - Dexie's Midnight Runners (I always loved this song).
Fantasy - Aldo Nova

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think its ironic that some in the later years had one or maybe two hits yet they wrote
a number of songs that people don't realize they were part of the history of music
and played a bigger roll. Here is an example
How many have heard of Ed Bruce? He had a few hits on the country charts but
didn't rise above the fray as it were. However he wrote several hits that didn't put
him in the spotlight.

When I Die Just Let Me Go to Texas Tanya Tucker huge hit
The Last Cowboy Song Waylon and Willie
there were at least a dozen songs by Tom T Hall that were hits for others

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Warren Zevon had a few hits although not as big as werewolves. Lawyers Guns and Money and Excitable Boy did OK. He also did Poor Poor Pitiful Me that Linda Ronstadt redid. While he is most known for Werewolves of London, I would hardly call him a one hit wonder. He did put out 13 albums and had a major influence on som major artists.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When it comes to music I often preferred many of the album cuts to the actual hits
and I sometimes wondered why some were never released a singles. I was never
a big fan of either Elvis or the Beatles perhaps because i heard so much of them.
I much preferred groups like the Moody Blues etc.

a few other songs that came to mind

Larry Vern's Please Mr Custer the song the Duke of Earl
Little Darlin' the Diamonds
Ram a lama ding dong by the Edsels is another one
Career cut short by death was the Big Bopper and Chantilly Lace

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Have you seen the film "Searching For Sugarman"? There is no accounting for why some stuff is a hit while others can't draw flies.