The Top Five Most Overrated Comedians

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OCarlin went from being your "Hippy Dippy Weatherman"..........member him? - to a cynical social commentator. Sometimes he was bang on.

Sometimes not.

In later years he took to repeating his punch lines-----Kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. He looked and sounded too much like Rich Little (same body language) , Jack Carter (who was not funny at all), and Wayne and Shuster, who had a patent on repeating punch lines.

Just my opinion.

Most comics these days just get behind a mic and shout. Bletch!! Think I'll pass.

Ah, for the goodldaze.............................not.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Liberals deal with conservatives by making fun of them. Conservatives deal with liberals by getting angry with them. That's why liberal talk radio is a fail and there are very few funny conservatives.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I thought the thread title said Canadians so here's my list:

Pierre Turdoh, Tommy Douglas, David Frum, Ty Domi, Peter Mansbridge.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Carlin did rip-off Bruce, doesn't matter what your political stripe. A lot of stuff can be hilarious when you hear it for the first time. Doesn't mean it's original though.

Most of these other guys are simply popular because they are popular. Maybe they like to be branded edgy and all that hip jive-assed language but hey, they're recycling jokes. Green humor at best.

I can laff at Cosby, Conway and other very talented folks but just about any schmuck that gets a cult following as a 'comic' can become trendy these days. Feeple, sheeple and fanboys. I'm surprised Jon (staff writers galore) Stewart didn't make the cut.

But hey, I still think a well-timed tactical fart is funny as hell so what do I know.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've never been a huge fan of Carlin as a comedian. He had some interesting social commentary, but, most debaters here are funnier.

And Louis CK lost me when he started talking about how his *** leaks.

Cheech and Chong were before my time, as were the Smothers Brothers.

And I got too bored to read to the end of the article and figure out who the fifth was.

But, what struck me as the oddest about it all, was the fact that someone has 'categories' of comedians in their head. How partisan do you have to be, to start ranking your comedy right to left?

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Jerry Seinfeld has got to be the most un-funny (but famous) comedian I can think of.

---

These guys are NOT overrated...

Off the top of my head... Red Green? :mrgreen:

Not necessarily looking at a total body of work, but times when I've had some of the biggest belly-laughs:

Rowan Atkinson with his Mr. Bean character
Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy
Sacha Baron Cohen as Borat
Foster Brooks (Roasts)
Cheech and Chong
Robin Williams
Bill Cosby
Benny Hill
Tim Conway

Canadians:
Leslie Nielsen as Frank Drebin
Eugene Levy
Lorne Elliot

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I run hot and cold on some of them, then just cold on the others. I never thought the Smother's Brothers were funny nor Cheech and Chong, never really said much as everyone around me seemed to think they were cool and funny, why wreck their good time. I was never a swooning Beatles fan either... My humour is black, always was, always will be. Carlin, is either dead on or way off for me. I think he was quite brilliant but not always funny.

But then I was never all that hepped up on Seinfeld and most people think he is god like. I never made it through a single show.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I watched an interview with Leslie a few years ago and he never considered his part as comedic. According to him, he acted the same way in the Naked Gun movies as he did in the 1950's police dramas he did.

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
But then I was never all that hepped up on Seinfeld and most people think he is god like. I never made it through a single show.

I loved some episodes of the show, but thanks to mostly to Kramer and Castanza. Hampton tomatoes, the chocolate eclair in the garbage, the parking garage, the lost abstinence bet, the soup Nazi, some of those things stand out.

I watched an interview with Leslie a few years ago and he never considered his part as comedic. According to him, he acted the same way in the Naked Gun movies as he did in the 1950's police dramas he did.

For the most part dead-pan humour, but if you recall a few things like the scene with the aquarium, where he's bitten by the prize fish and then kills it with a pen, that's comedic acting! :mrgreen:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Jerry Seinfeld has got to be the most un-funny (but famous) comedian I can think of.

---

These guys are NOT overrated...

Off the top of my head... Red Green? :mrgreen:

Not necessarily looking at a total body of work, but times when I've had some of the biggest belly-laughs:

Rowan Atkinson with his Mr. Bean character
Ron White - Blue Collar Comedy
Sacha Baron Cohen as Borat
Foster Brooks (Roasts)
Cheech and Chong
Robin Williams
Bill Cosby
Benny Hill
Tim Conway

Canadians:
Eugene Levy
Lorne Elliot

I agree with most of your list (Tim Conway is a comedic genius as far as I'm concerned!) but I'd add the recently departed Jonathan Winters.

I run hot and cold on some of them, then just cold on the others. I never thought the Smother's Brothers were funny nor Cheech and Chong, never really said much as everyone around me seemed to think they were cool and funny, why wreck their good time. I was never a swooning Beatles fan either... My humour is black, always was, always will be. Carlin, is either dead on or way off for me. I think he was quite brilliant but not always funny.

Comedy is like music, it either resonates with you or it doesn't.

I always found him rather arrogant, however I will say "Master of Your Domain" was a brilliant piece of television. Lol.