Did you sit through the Junos? Impressions?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Michael Buble as host was fine.The KD Lang lifetime achievement award was nice. I liked the Bieber slam. I was surprised that they did not mention Rita MacNeil except for the very end. KD lang did mention Stompin' Tom's passing, but other than that, nothing.

Some random notes. They aren't neatly arranged, Written as things unfolded.

Songwriter of the Year - L. Cohen - He was a no show. Sonny accepted it for him.

MB's opening monologue - superb Justin Bieber slam. Michael and the Mrs are expecting a baby.

“I have heard the horror stories about no sleep and the late-night feeds and the little poopy diapers and the puking,” he said. “Truth is, I figure it’s just like being on tour with Justin Bieber.”

A few of the young girls in the crowd looked angry at the comments.
---

M Buble CD commercial - new album out tomorrow
M Buble playing in the background of a commercial about a radio stn.

General impressions
- didn't like the use of the small stage, amateurish production numbers so far 8:30
Reminded me of high school.

The Tenors singing Forever Young, well, it sucked.
The music teacher award was nice. www.musiccounts.ca

Mariana's Trench number amateurish - did they stutter? 8:50

The amateur feel was likely due to how the acts were staged.

Commercial (has nothing to do with the Junos)
Question - Do you really believe that your Tassimo machine reads a bar code? I think it just sends hot water through the coffee grounds. 8:55

Single of the Year - Call Me Maybe, Jepson

MB sound difficulties (voice too low) when they hit the stage - It's a Beautiful Day 9:00

Anne Murray did a creditable job with KD Lang's Hall of Fame induction. KD is still a freak though.

Biggest yuck of the show for me - Three white boys doing rap. Is there anything worse than rap? Yes. Three white boys trying to sound like inner city black youth.

Fan Choice award Justin Bieber. Justin wasn't there. Ho hum.

Album of the Year - Carlie Rae Jepson

My show rating - C

Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I cannot blame you. Neither am I.

These shows are quite self serving. Michael Buble was the host and the first commercial ran after the first segment announced his new CD coming out today. Also,his music was playing in the commercial that ran immediately after!

This probably belongs in the political section, but I get so tired of listening to people wave their flags. I'm Canadian, but I do not have wear a maple leaf pin and play Oh Canada every time I meet someone new. Quebecers have done this, as have westerners. Canadians as a group tend to do this, if only to separate themselves from Americans. The US is another nation of flag wavers.

My belief is that some of these people need to see a shrink. I'm not Dr. Phil :lol: , but I think there's some deeply seated problem with a person that has to shove their nationality in others faces all the time. But enough of that.

Pull my finger!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Yes for the first time in a few years I suffered through it. The show sucked.
the sound at the beginning was off, for general entertainment they had to use
the old Viewer discretion advised. That is not good for an awards show.
The Stompin' Tom thing. Good they didn't say much of anything, it was the way
Stompin' Tom would have liked it he regarded the Juno Awards people as a sell
out and gave his awards back years ago.
Ritz should have been given a prominent place
The tenors not perfect but they were one of the better acts the rest could for the
most part have stayed home.
This show was poorly done and poorly carried out in many ways. I realized why
I haven't watched it for some time and won't for a long time to come.
It Sucked

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Thanks for the run-down Murph. How was Billy Talent. My favourite Canadian act right now.
All awards shows tend to be "Love me!" fests. Years ago, when they first started, there may have been a genuine desire to reward talent, but that hasn't been the case for years IMO. It's all about sales and marketing now. It has been about the almighty dollar for many years. Do I appear jaded? :)

Technically speakling, the sound quality was bad, so that made all of the performers sound worse than they should have. For me at least, that tainted the entire show, making it appear that some of the jobs were done by amateurs. A real pro would have jumped on the problem and fixed it right away instead of letting it carry on throughout the production. As a result, it affected everyone - Billy Talent, MB, MT, etc.

It would be interesting to hear about two things.

First, the purpose of the small stage. Was it some artsy thing that had some of the performers hopping back and forth between the small and large areas? I dunno. It seemed silly to me. It was distracting and the movement of the performers between areas was clunky.

Second, who was NOT in charge of the audio quality and levels? It's already been mentioned, but one has to wonder, given the amount of money they spent, the sponsors didn't get their money's worth. The audio and stage directors must have been at Timmys down the street. I don't know if the sound was as bad for the studio audience, but for a few of the performances it was low, and what you could hear sounded muddy (muffled).

I was happy that no official mention was made of Stompin' Tom. Whether or not you agree with his assessment of the Juno awards, his last request should be honoured. CARAS respected his wishes, and that was proper. Something that might have helped the show was a few minutes about Rita MacNeil.

I'm quite sure that we'll see a Mother Corp or CTV show in the very near future about Rita. Like most performers, you either loved or hated her, but you have to admire her spunk.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Yeah, mostly for kids, I figure. I don't have the patience for any of them really--even the Oscars. No excuse for bad sounds in this day and age though. I haven't beemn to a "big ticket" venue in years, but went to see The Muse recently. The sound was absolutely jaw-dropping. Just unreal. (I wonder if it's a contrast to listening to crappy 5 MB mp3's all the time).