Stompin' Tom will not be honoured during the Junos

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
This was a CBC report. Nothing on the website about it yet.

The gist of it was that, at the request of the family, the Juno Awards show will not honour Stompin' Tom or his accomplishments. CBC said that since he returned his six Junos in 1978, there was never a reconciliation between him and the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS).

from The Toronto Star, 17 Apr 13
Stompin' Tom Connors: Juno Awards mum on possible tribute | Toronto Star

“I feel that the Junos should be for people who are living in Canada, whose main base of business operations is in Canada, who are working toward the recognition of Canadian talent in this country and who are trying to further the export of such talent from this country to the world with a view to proudly showing off what this country can contribute to the world market,” - Stompin' Tom, 1978

Say what will will about his music, but you have to admire his resolve. To his family: Well done!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The gist of it was that, at the request of the family, the Juno Awards show will not honour Stompin' Tom or his accomplishments
Because the rights were sold... Clint Eastwood is directing a movie about him.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand how a tribute could be deep sixed by any movie or song rights. Certain songs could be out of bounds, but having a few people on stage saying nice things wouldn't. It sounded like the family said (paraphrased) "Don't make a fuss. He's still pissed off with you folks."

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The Grope and Maul (Globe and Mail) is reporting this.

Stompin’ Tom Connors once gladly accepted an honour from Canada Post, but he still refuses, even posthumously, to put his stamp of approval on a tribute from the Juno Awards.

“As far as we’re concerned, Stompin’ Tom should not be part of the Junos,” Tom Connors Jr. told The Globe and Mail. “All we can do as a family is to respect his wishes.”

Also respecting his wishes is the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, who have decided not to proceed with any kind of recognition during the Junos, which will be broadcast from Regina on April 21. The iconic Bud the Spud singer famously returned his six Juno awards in 1978, as a protest against the nomination of Canadian artists who flee the country to further their careers.

Connors Jr. said his father attempted to reconcile with Juno six years ago, but his suggestions to CARAS on ways to improve the nation’s musical awards were not acted upon. “They had their chance to bring him back, but decided to go their own way.” And so, no Regina Sunday Night.

No tribute for Stompin' Tom at Juno Awards - The Globe and Mail

So it appears that the family has indeed asked the Junos not to proceed with any tribute. Stompin' Tom's falling out with CARAS never was reversed.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Stompin Tom had no use for the Juno Folks. He also had little use for many
talents who were Canadians and sold their birth right for the money and still
wanted to be considered Canadian Talent. I remember the clash from the start.
I was in broadcasting at the time and Stompin Tom was very set in his way on
the subject.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Which is why his son said what he did.

You know that someone is going to speak his name during the show. The thing is, like every other year, virtually no one will be watching. Stompin' Tom will have the television on however. I can see him sitting in a comfy chair, on the front porch of a house in Skinner's Pond. He'll laugh when some unknown aboriginal hipitty hop artist or neo-metal/country band member from the lower mainland invokes his name.

It would be extrodinary to watch Tom appear out of thin air and level the building. Hey-Hi, Hey-Hi-Ho, I think it's time for the end of the show...