Loreena Mckinnett

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
Why isn't this wonderfully talented Canadian artist listed with other famous Canadians in the Music Industry? She is very talented an accomplished harpist, pianist, singer, and also plays the accordion. She owns her own record label Quinlan Road, writes,and produces her own music and has two gold albums. I have all of her albums and they are helping my wife and I as we struggle through a terrible phase in our lives (My wife is dying of early onset Alzheimer's) Her music is classified as world music but being of Scottish and Irish heritage the music has a Celtic and Middle Eastern flair, she has put W.B. Yeats and some other famous poet's works to music. I think her best CD,DVD album Nights from the Alhambra is outstanding. She was also made an Honorary Colonel of 435 Transport and Rescue Squadron in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I also believe she started the Cook-Rees Memorial Fund for Water Search and Safety. That's all kind of impressive and at 55 she is still a knock out (at least to other people like myself who is also 55).

Last edited:

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
Her Parents were Canadian and she lives in Canada, and holds concerts there. Why so hostile to a fellow canadian just because you do not like her music? Her father was Scottish and Her Mother was Irish, I know lots of People of Irish descent to have a mild lilt. I'm not a Canadian but Just an admirer. Granted her Music is frequently compaired to Enya and it is a niche audience but I do not understand attacking the nice lady. She is very talented, have you ever listened to her work?

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
She's Canadian? I always thought she was Irish. What do you know!
Here's a short copy of the first part of a longer story she wrote about herself on her Quinlan Road site:
Many people come to know the public persona of an artist and wonder what they are like off-stage. I may not be the best person to paint that picture, but let me try.

I grew up in rural Manitoba, Canada, the daughter of a nurse and a livestock dealer and enjoyed a fairly free and easy rural childhood. I aspired to be a veterinarian as a child but, in the way that “the best laid plans get sent sideways”, I found that music chose me rather than me, it. Interestingly, even after many years of performing, I don’t consider myself to have the strong extroverted personality best suited for a career in music, but rather one which is more comfortable on a farm, in an informal gathering of friends.

I became smitten with what is now referred to as Celtic music in the late 1970s, but it was only when I started to connect with its history that my journey really began. At an exhibition of Celtic artifacts in Venice in 1991, I learned about the geographic and historic spread of the Celts. I found myself drawn into a rich, ancient tapestry of sounds and rhythms and stories. I discovered myths and traditions that resemble one another from far corners of the globe, people who share traits and yet are distinctive.

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
8O Probably that god dam accordion holding her back.

Sh it I hate those things. Can't even hear my tuba over them.............:roll:
Go to you tube and listen to some of her music, it is mostly Harp and Piano Look for Nights from the Alhambra which I think showcases her best work. but to each his own... Sorry Canadians don't seem to support or have pride in fellow Canadians just because they don't like that genre of music - I admit it is like that in the states as well, so I am making it a point not to criticize Canadians on a Canadian site!! Please don't attack me. I just enjoy listening to her music so much I thought there would be some Canadians who know and like her music as well??

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
I don't know about accordions or tubas...

However I do know this....

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Highlander 3 (music - Loreena McKennitt) - YouTube
See! Doesn't it make you proud to be Canadian and to have such a wonderfully talented artist like Loreena Mckennitt in your country? Of Course There are many other talented people in Canada but thought she was being overlooked. Hum... wonder if I can get a promotion fee out of this?? lol!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
See! Doesn't it make you proud to be Canadian and to have such a wonderfully talented artist like Loreena Mckennitt in your country? Of Course There are many other talented people in Canada but thought she was being overlooked. Hum... wonder if I can get a promotion fee out of this?? lol!

Ummm... I'm not Canadian.

Besides... what are you getting all uptight about. Ya'll have Justin Beiber.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Yes she's talented and has come a long way since playing outside the liquor store in Winnipeg-but that doesn't mean everyone has to like her music.

I owned one of her CDs back in the early 90s but the lack of a distinctive beat put me off and I sold it.

The phony accent remains but it's her issue not mine.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Go to you tube and listen to some of her music, it is mostly Harp and Piano Look for Nights from the Alhambra which I think showcases her best work. but to each his own... Sorry Canadians don't seem to support or have pride in fellow Canadians just because they don't like that genre of music - I admit it is like that in the states as well, so I am making it a point not to criticize Canadians on a Canadian site!! Please don't attack me. I just enjoy listening to her music so much I thought there would be some Canadians who know and like her music as well??

Oh for Christ's sake, I was joking. I don't play a ****ing tuba.

get a life.

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
Ummm... I'm not Canadian.

Besides... what are you getting all uptight about. Ya'll have Justin Beiber.
Semper Fi, I figured that. Liked your links, not up tight. I was just writing for the Canadians who might be present - I think your links were great.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
And, by the ****ing way, I liked and supported Gord Lightfoot (bought albums), and Ian and Sylvia, long before they were really popular. So **** you. Who the **** do you think you are dissing us because you THINK we don't like some so called musical genius who is only just so so talented. Piss off and take your opinions with you.

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
Yes she's talented and has come a long way since playing outside the liquor store in Winnipeg-but that doesn't mean everyone has to like her music.

I owned one of her CDs back in the early 90s but the lack of a distinctive beat put me off and I sold it.

The phony accent remains but it's her issue not mine.
Fine, every body has different tastes and I know hers is a small market, with most folks its Country or Pop. But she is talented.

Peaches

Nominee Member
Oct 19, 2012
Biloxi, MS
And, by the ****ing way, I liked and supported Gord Lightfoot (bought albums), and Ian and Sylvia, long before they were really popular. So **** you. Who the **** do you think you are dissing us because you THINK we don't like some so called musical genius who is only just so so talented. Piss off and take your opinions with you.
Gee, is that directed at me? I thought personal attacks were supposed to be off limits. I am certainly not thinking that every Canadian should like her music, tastes differ, just that I think she is very talented and why shouldn't she be listed with all the others on the Canadian Music artists list? I think she deserves to be on that list too, and was over looked. It is certainly none of my business as a non Canadian. Why do so many on this site carry a chip on their shoulder? I do not have a problem with Canadians and hope your view is not representative because it certainly sounds very unfriendly especially since I am trying to make a positive statement about a Canadian artist whose work I really enjoy. You don't that's fine but I do not understand an attack using four letter words. You must hate the U.S. and it's people.

Why do you think I am "dissing" Canadians? I am just stating my admiration of this artist, I am not making any inference in any way shape or form that if you do not like her that there is anything wrong with you or with Canadians does not matter - I am just stating my opinion. You sound as if you have a huge inferiority complex about your country vs ours. Seems like you would be proud of your country as we are of ours as in Hey, I don't like her music but she is a talented Canadian to each his own. I think I have one of Gordo's best of cassettes because of the Edmond Fitzgerald tune I liked when I was younger.. But I think you just want to make adhominum attacks and pick fights and am sure you will keep on attacking me, so I will just ignore you, because you will only continue so there is not point seems obvious you enjoy picking fights and continual attacks and I am not required to respond, I suppose I could hit the report button if you keep attacking me personally for no reason but I will not respond to you anymore. It is a waste of time.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea