Weird Gabriola Island rock formations

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

These rock formations are all around the island.........That's me in the picture btw..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

These rock formations are all around the island.........That's me in the picture btw..

You're looking pretty well preserved. I worked on Gabriola many years ago, first time was when Davy Barrett had a scheme to build a main ferry terminal on Sears Id. at the south end of Gabriola connecting with 2 bridges one to Mudge Id. and another to Duke Point near Harmac. About 5 minutes after we completed the survey the plan was scrapped.-:)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You're looking pretty well preserved. I worked on Gabriola many years ago, first time was when Davy Barrett had a scheme to build a main ferry terminal on Sears Id. at the south end of Gabriola connecting with 2 bridges one to Mudge Id. and another to Duke Point near Harmac. About 5 minutes after we completed the survey the plan was scrapped.-:)

To be honest that photo is about eight years old. I probably feel older than I look in that photo..:lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Hornby has similar formations. I was once told that it is volcanic mud that brought up harder rocks. They eventually fall out which makes the holes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I recall years ago right at the north end of Gabriola Island seeing a bunch of millstones just more or less abandoned! What the history of them was I have no clue!

I was told once that a lot of the big millstones were sent to China.. Here is a picture that gives a hint as to how they were made:

They were core-drilled.......I always thought they were turned on some kind of lathe.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Not to be a smart *** but its not a conglomerate..... In my opinion if it was we would still see pebbles and rocks larger than the matrix still sticking out of the outcrop... Neither is it igneous because light igneous rocks dont weather smoothly like what we see in the picture... Im thinking carbonate

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It is limestone. Before there was the back island arc of van island it was warm shallow sea just before the Jurassic Sevier Orogenesis 140Ma - 50Ma of western rockies and such westward to the cascades during the Laramide orogeny period 40Ma - 70Ma.

Amen

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sauce made from pluton ground dinoflagellates from the georgia strait sediment horizons on the cabonate to clastic nonconformity?