The Stones: The 1% of the 1% 'ers?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Rolling Stones tickets remain unsold after price hike

Hundreds of tickets for the Rolling Stones 50th anniversary gigs remained unsold on Sunday night as touts were accused of pricing fans out of the market.

Just hours before the band took to the stage at London’s O2 Arena, scores of tickets for the veteran rockers’ first performance in five years were still available online for up to £1,300.

Agencies and individual touts hoping to profit by snapping up the tickets at face value before selling them at vastly inflated prices found that fans simply refused to pay, leaving the band facing the prospect of playing to a far from sell-out crowd.

A Rolling Stones spokesman told the Daily Telegraph: “It’s a real shame that fans have been prevented from buying tickets at the original price and that secondary marketing agencies are attempting to profit. The band does not participate in anything of this nature.”

Tickets for both Sunday night's gig and a second to be held on Thursday, went on sale last month for between £106 and £406, including booking fees.

Hospitality packages were also available for those wishing to stand in the "tongue pit" in front of the stage – based on the band's classic tongue and lips logo – for £1,140 including VAT.

more tongue-pitting

Rolling Stones tickets remain unsold after price hike - Telegraph

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A Rolling Stones spokesman told the Daily Telegraph: “It’s a real shame that fans have been prevented from buying tickets at the original price and that secondary marketing agencies are attempting to profit. The band does not participate in anything of this nature.”

Secondary marketing agencies ATTEMPTING to profit?! They buy the tickets all up en masse and double+ the face value. Secondary agencies buy up all Red Sox and Patriots tickets the moment they go on sale before the season. All games are sold out before the common Joe has a shot at getting them at face value.

Popular rock bands are no different.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Rolling Stones tickets remain unsold after price hike

Um yeah, because most people don't want to mortgage their homes to go to a rock concert.

Secondary marketing agencies ATTEMPTING to profit?! They buy the tickets all up en masse and double+ the face value. Secondary agencies buy up all Red Sox and Patriots tickets the moment they go on sale before the season. All games are sold out before the common Joe has a shot at getting them at face value.

Secondary marketers should be completely eliminated. Online sales direct from the venue can be done easily enough. There was a need for them 20 years ago, not so today.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I used to go to Canucks games for a fraction of the ticket prices by waiting for the game to begin and buying from panicing scalpers. I've gotten into the games for as cheap as $10.

Greed can be used against someone if you have a little patience.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I wouldn't pay those prices to see the Stones.. who have put on some pretty indifferent performances in the last few years. The Stones never did that well in large venues.. they are basicly a pub band.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is a problem with nearly every concert and every sports event unfortunately. Quite a few bands/artists have spoken out against this. Tickets are expensive enough as it is for a big rock show. Id be willing to pay the normal price for one of these tickets but I wouldnt even consider buying from one of those scalping agencies.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is a problem with nearly every concert and every sports event unfortunately. Quite a few bands/artists have spoken out against this. Tickets are expensive enough as it is for a big rock show. Id be willing to pay the normal price for one of these tickets but I wouldnt even consider buying from one of those scalping agencies.

For some reason these bands cannot seem to break this cycle. Pearl Jam tried it and if memory serves me correctly they had a tough time scheduling the big venues. The ticket agencies pretty much relieve the venues of the hassle of selling the tickets from what I understand. They buy them all up at once.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
For some reason these bands cannot seem to break this cycle. Pearl Jam tried it and if memory serves me correctly they had a tough time scheduling the big venues. The ticket agencies pretty much relieve the venues of the hassle of selling the tickets from what I understand. They buy them all up at once.

True. I very rarely buy tickets from the venue itself. They usually run it through a third party. Im surprised anyone buys tickets from companies that jack up the price to an insane amount. People would be better off just going to kajiji or craigslist. There are usually tickets there from people who cant make it to a show. Ive sold a few online but never above the price I paid.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What's the crime in a 1/2 empty Stones show? It means some scalper has lost money on those seats as the band has already got their money for it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's so much more satisfying, and much more energy, from performing for a full house.....

True. I went to see Brian Wilson at the NAC last year. I felt bad for him as about half the seats were empty. They allowed those of us who did show up to move closer to the stage if we wanted to which was nice.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
True. I went to see Brian Wilson at the NAC last year. I felt bad for him as about half the seats were empty......
Wilson has noticed-thus his imminent retirement.

I used to big a big fan of the music back in the 70's-but never of the band and they haven't done anything worth listening to in an easy 30 years so Who Cares.

This is the Guy they fired for playing too well-and their one chance to break out of the bar band rut-now they have two rhythm guitarists-BFD.

Carla Olson & Mick Taylor - Sway - YouTube

This is just how bad this band is-I wouldn't pay anything to listen to these hacks.

Rolling Stones play 50th anniversary concert at London's O2 Arena

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Then limit the number of tickets that can be bought by certain people and companies.
Make all scalping illegal and imprison those who are caught.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Make all scalping illegal and imprison those who are caught.

Up there in Canada?! I'm surprised DG, shouldn't you be treating the scalpers and providing help instead of putting them in jail? Apparently you are not "recognizing" the problem. LOL.