Divine Comedy is 'offensive and discriminatory', says Italian NGO

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Human-rights organisation calls for Dante's 'racist, Islamophobic and antisemitic' epic poem to be removed from classrooms

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here: Dante's medieval classic the Divine Comedy has been condemned as racist, antisemitic and Islamophobic by a group calling for it to be removed from classrooms.

The epic poem, written in the 14th century, is split into three parts, tracing the poet's journey through Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. It is seen as one of the cornerstones of world literature. But the Italian human rights organisation Gherush92, which advises UN bodies on human rights issues, wants it to be removed from school curriculums, or at least used with more caution, because it is "offensive and discriminatory" and young people lack the "filters" to understand it in context.

more here:

Divine Comedy is 'offensive and discriminatory', says Italian NGO | Books | guardian.co.uk

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Human-rights organisation calls for Dante's 'racist, Islamophobic and antisemitic' epic poem to be removed from classrooms

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here: Dante's medieval classic the Divine Comedy has been condemned as racist, antisemitic and Islamophobic by a group calling for it to be removed from classrooms.

The epic poem, written in the 14th century, is split into three parts, tracing the poet's journey through Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso. It is seen as one of the cornerstones of world literature. But the Italian human rights organisation Gherush92, which advises UN bodies on human rights issues, wants it to be removed from school curriculums, or at least used with more caution, because it is "offensive and discriminatory" and young people lack the "filters" to understand it in context.

Um, isn't that the point of having it in a school curriculum? So that it can be studied with context?

Banning books is always such a stellar idea.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Um, isn't that the point of having it in a school curriculum? So that it can be studied with context?

Yeah, Hitler, Stalin, Mao along with a whole raft of other socio/physco pathic freaks had the same idea. I think these guys are all related to those other freaks in the Human Right Org.

They did the same thing with Twain - Rewrites -

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, Hitler, Stalin, Mao along with a whole raft of other socio/physco pathic freaks had the same idea. I think these guys are all related to those other freaks in the Human Right Org.

They did the same thing with Twain - Rewrites -

And like Ted Turner did with colouring all those old black & white classics. (I think it was Ted Turner. Correct me if I'm wrong. Lol.)

Some things you just shouldn't mess with, you know?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

more here:

Divine Comedy is 'offensive and discriminatory', says Italian NGO | Books | guardian.co.uk

I'm more offended by this douchebag group's idea of trying to tell me what should and shouldn't be banned. Can't they be banned instead?

Don't forget about the group that wanted Harry Potter banned as it promoted Witchcraft. Why can't people just enjoy them as the books that they are?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm more offended by this douchebag group's idea of trying to tell me what should and shouldn't be banned. Can't they be banned instead?

We can dream.

Don't forget about the group that wanted Harry Potter banned as it promoted Witchcraft. Why can't people just enjoy them as the books that they are?

Because there are people out there who think that because they don't appreciate and enjoy something then no one else should either.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That doesn't surprise me.... But..... From the perspective of Dear Leader - your profile is exactly what threatens them the most. Perhaps you should watch Sleeper one more time

Beware SLM, independent thought is highly frowned upon.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That doesn't surprise me.... But..... From the perspective of Dear Leader - your profile is exactly what threatens them the most. Perhaps you should watch Sleeper one more time

Beware SLM, independent thought is highly frowned upon.

Meh, I'm a rebel with or without a cause.

Bring it on!!! ;)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Man, I hope they don't have tasers!