wii gaming system, is it good for a 3 year old?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Two of our grand kids are 3 and 4 years old respectively. Is wii a suitable gift for them?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well Juan, I have just consulted my 9 year old granddaughter who has been using the wii for a number of years now. She thinks it would be a great gift for them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well Juan, I have just consulted my 9 year old granddaughter who has been using the wii for a number of years now. She thinks it would be a great gift for them.

In the standard, off the shelf wii system, doe it come with only on controller? Are there games they can play together?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
In the standard, off the shelf wii system, doe it come with only on controller? Are there games they can play together?
Mine has two controllers. There are so many games they can play.
I agree with what Spade says but (there is always a "but") - at their age, it pretty much guarantees parent/children time and that too can be a good thing. For some wii games, you can just sit still and aim at the screen but for others, you can pretty much get a good workout.
You just have to watch that the parents don't take over completely because it happens.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
No. Children need vigorous physical exercise. Trikes, bikes, ride-em cars, etc.

That may be true but they are tripping over all their bikes etc. They live in Vancouver so for at least five months it is raining so they need stuff they can do inside as well.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
That may be true but they are tripping over all their bikes etc. They live in Vancouver so for at least five months it is raining so they need stuff they can do inside as well.
Go with the wii because they can grow along with it. The games that come with/for the will go all the way from little kids to adult. I got my husband to buy one for me for Christmas two years ago. I have yet to try it. The kids all play with it even though they have them at home. They are getting bored so you have actually given me an idea. I think I'll find a game they don't have at home that will just be an all kids gift to use at Gramma & Grampa's house. They are reaching that age where coming here is "boring".

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Then books, puzzles, trains, construction toys of all types, paints, crayons, colouring books, an aquarium, ...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nothing wrong with a wii for that age, make sure you have 2 controllers (I'm pretty sure it comes with 2), and some age-appropriate games. i like using the wii fit balance board, but that's an extra.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Then books, puzzles, trains, construction toys of all types, paints, crayons, colouring books, an aquarium, ...

I go with Spade on this. Wii leads to other compt games - couch potatoes are what results. Also what Spade mentions stimulates the brain more so than compt games.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No. Children need vigorous physical exercise. Trikes, bikes, ride-em cars, etc.

I go with Spade on this. Wii leads to other compt games - couch potatoes are what results. Also what Spade mentions stimulates the brain more so than compt games.

:roll::lol:

Ok...I'll add this.

Juan, both my younger boys had problems learning to read. Video games are what saved them. The WII has many different types of games. Everything from educational, to physical ( VERY physical) to brainless just for fun games. It's a good choice.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My son is a bit older but has used a Wii since he was 8. It will run any Nintendo Gamecube games too. My son uses the adapter (sold separatly) for those.

You will need to be vigilant with the wriststraps on the controllers. There are plenty of videos on youtube of people who didn't wear the straps and the nice holes it makes in the TV screen.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
:roll::lol:

Ok...I'll add this.

Juan, both my younger boys had problems learning to read. Video games are what saved them. The WII has many different types of games. Everything from educational, to physical ( VERY physical) to brainless just for fun games. It's a good choice.

I would also like to add that there are many Wii games that can help the kids be fit(it's obviously not a replacement for exercise, but it certainly doesn't hurt), or at least help increase their coordination. My cousin has a Wii and his kids are very active.

Wii is the best choice for children, as it is the console that has the biggest selection of games that are geared towards children. I agree with Gerry that the Wii would be a very good choice.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I would also like to add that there are many Wii games that can help the kids be fit(it's obviously not a replacement for exercise, but it certainly doesn't hurt), or at least help increase their coordination. My cousin has a Wii and his kids are very active.

Wii is the best choice for children, as it is the console that has the biggest selection of games that are geared towards children. I agree with Gerry that the Wii would be a very good choice.

Thank you shadowshiv, Gerry.
I knew absolutely nothing about wii when I started this thread. The salesperson at one of the stores is going to
give me a demo tomorrow morning. By this time tomorrow I will be an expert......:lol:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I knew absolutely nothing about wii when I started this thread. The salesperson at one of the stores is going to
give me a demo tomorrow morning. By this time tomorrow I will be an expert......:lol:

You're welcome, Juan. While I don't own a Wii(the last console I bought was a Gamecube), it is a lot of fun. And since there are a lot of games that are geared towards the whole family, it is a great choice. A couple of games that I really enjoyed for the Gamecube were Mario Party 4 and Mario Party 5. They are a lot of fun, and can be enjoyed by both children and adults. There were numerous times I would play with my ex-girlfriend and her two children. It was very enjoyable!

I think there are some Mario Party games for the Wii, but I am not sure what they are like.

Plus, if what someone said earlier in the thread was true, then you can find old Gamecube games and play them in the Wii(you could probably get them nice and cheap at Pawn Shops, various stores like Goodwill or the Salvation Army, or even from yard sales!)!:)

Let us know how it goes.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Good. Maybe you can teach me. My grandkids keep telling me they will but I'm always busy when they are here.
I have wii fit but I'm not fit so I should start using the wii. That was what I wanted it for in the first place.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Good. Maybe you can teach me. My grandkids keep telling me they will but I'm always busy when they are here.
I have wii fit but I'm not fit so I should start using the wii. That was what I wanted it for in the first place.

They're fun - I like to mess around with the Wii fit and the slalom ski, and the ski jump games. It's good practice for your balance.