Adele Cancels 2011 Tour-Music Lovers Everywhere Rejoice

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Is there another artist in all the English speaking world as banal/bland/beige/steeped in pap?

Adele cancels all 2011 live dates

Adele cancelled her US tour earlier this month

Singer Adele has cancelled all her remaining live dates and promotional appearances for 2011 after suffering continuing problems with her voice.

A statement on her website said she was undergoing surgery "to alleviate the current issues with her throat".

"As a result, doctors have ordered her to rest her voice and completely recuperate before looking to schedule any work commitments," it said.

The statement added the singer was expected to make a full recovery.

Adele cancelled her 10-date US tour earlier this month after being diagnosed with a vocal cord haemorrhage.

The singer had been due to perform six dates in the UK next month, which had been postponed from September after she suffered from a severe cold and chest infection.

The singer wrote on her website earlier this month that she was "heartbroken and worried" by the ongoing problems with her voice.

"I have absolutely no choice but to recuperate properly and fully, or I risk damaging my voice forever," she said.

Adele won best female artist and best track at Q magazine's music awards earlier this week.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Why? I like her. She does not have a fantastic voice. Her voice is okay but it's the lyrics that are winning her fame. She sounds like someone who needs voice training. She yells too much when she sings. I'm not a singer but I am surrounded by a family that does sing. I have come to "hear" the bad in a voice and it appears that much of her problem is strain from being too loud.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Meh. You don't need a voice to be big in music. Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits...

Oh then there's all those auto tuned voices in various genres.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Go to youtube and Adele - Rollin' in the Deep. Listen to the lyrics and you'll understand why so many people like the song

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Have you noticed Cher sounds like she has marbles in her mouth these days?
BORN: May 20, 1946, El Centro, CA I thought she was younger than that but I did notice the puffed up lips (botox) to attempt to make herself look younger. Feels funny to talk with puffy lips - maybe it feels the same when you sing with them. I get the natural "botox" effect if I touch prawns!!! 8O

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
This singer sold more albums in the last year than the likes of Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears all of whom had highly promoted releases. In fact she had more sales than all of them combined.

I have to say i don't get it. She has a nice bluesy voice, an energetic singing style.. she's not that unique and she's certainly not a sex symbol. I'm getting the feel she has cornered a market for single, white, twenty something females who have matured away from those pop princesses.. by pandering to their angst.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
This singer sold more albums in the last year than the likes of Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna, Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears all of whom had highly promoted releases. In fact she had more sales than all of them combined.

I have to say i don't get it. She has a nice bluesy voice, an energetic singing style.. she's not that unique and she's certainly not a sex symbol. I'm getting the feel she has cornered a market for single, white, twenty something females who have matured away from those pop princesses.. by pandering to their angst.

It's quite possible that it appeals to people who recognize the talent of a voice, as opposed to someone who sings by virtue of a computer and can't perform live.

My 10 and 14year olds love her, because they recognize the quality of the voice. They can point out that she can sing, as opposed to many of the 'pop' artists on the radio.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Her voice is somewhat different but - while she can sing, she isn't the best. It's her lyrics - I honestly believe that. Once she became popular, all kids like her because their friends and older siblings do.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
OK, I looked her up...

1, Not bad. I recognize a couple of her songs.
2, Nice voice. Not my cup-o-tea though, musically speaking. I like punk rock and punk fusion.
3, I like the figure.
4, I can see why she hasn't been branded. She doesn't fit the mold.

Says a lot about the music industry, and society in general, IMHO.