Worst and Best canadian Movies

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
There are lots of best and worsts, but here are two worth mentioning.

Worst in my book - Passchendaele

The lives of a troubled veteran, his nurse girlfriend and a naive boy intersect first in Alberta and then in Belgium during the bloody World War I battle of Passchendaele.

Best in my book - The Amatuer

A researcher for the CIA who convinces his superiors to send him to the eastern bloc in order to avenge the murder of his wife by enemy agents discovers a web of deception underneath his wife's death.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Passchendaele has had good reviews. I've watched all the trailers but I haven't
yet seen the movie. Looking forward to seeing it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Its basically "Pearl Harbor" but in Canada. It really really sucked.

I havent seen enough Canadian movies to say what the best one is.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Well if you like it, power to yuh old boy. I had a lot of issues with it. Doing a fiction book or film with a historical backdrop is always a risky venture. I was very disappointed.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Best Canadian film I have seen was "The Decline of the American Empire" out of Quebec. Some of the most memorable lines in any movie.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well if you like it, power to yuh old boy. I had a lot of issues with it. Doing a fiction book or film with a historical backdrop is always a risky venture. I was very disappointed.

Well, "Old Boy", the battle of Passchedeale was a movie of a major battle of WW1 that lasted four or five months.
I'm sure different people saw it differently but most agreed that it was a horror.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Well, "Old Boy", the battle of Passchedeale was a movie of a major battle of WW1 that lasted four or five months.
I'm sure different people saw it differently but most agreed that it was a horror.

I agree it was a horror, in fact I've read a number of books on the Great War.

This movie was not so much about that battle as it was about pumping up Paul Gross' ego.

This movie was a let down.

Judge for yourself Juan.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I just watched a short clip and Passchedale looks pretty good. I wonder if they have it on Netflix.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Polytechique, The Barbarian Invasions, Dance Me Outside, Pontypool, Gingersnaps all pretty good films.
Anything by Cronenberg is weird, but often weird in a good way.
Anything by Atom Egoyan is usually depressing, but Ararat was pretty good. Also The Sweet Hereafter.

I can't really think of a Canadian film that I thought was really bad. Mostly they just have a sort of quirky charm to them, at least the ones I've seen.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

T'was a good movie, Juan, but the love interest got a bit shmaltzy..........lf you and your significant other go see it, make sure she has a box of kleenex.

I mean, the mortars are fallin, the krauts are chargin, the blood is spillin, and these two.....................er.............well, don't wanna spoil it for you............:p

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
For worst any of the Final Destination set. We worked on FD2 for something to do as it was a slow year for logging. Probably 50 loggers there. Spent 3 weeks driving back and forth on the new highway around Campbell River to make it. Got my truck in for about 1/2 second.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
My favorite would have to be "Goin' Down the Road" An awfull lot of Nova Scotians can identify with it,except meby for the ripping off the grocery store part.

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
The ones I personally enjoy:

Black Christmas (1974)
The Brood (1979)
The Changeling (1980)
Strange Brew (1983)
Videodrome (1983)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Pontypool, from
Suck (2009)

Others I found watchable:

Prom Night (1980)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)

Scanners (1981)

And so far, the only one that I haven't really liked in terms of Canadian films was Phobia (1980). Such a bad psychological thriller, and from John Huston, too! (Yes, he was an American director, but he was hired to work on this Canadian made film. And he did have a dad who was originally from Canada, Walter Huston. They also had family in around Ontario, and in my area, if I was told right.)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I agree it was a horror, in fact I've read a number of books on the Great War.

This movie was not so much about that battle as it was about pumping up Paul Gross' ego.

This movie was a let down.

Judge for yourself Juan.

Unfortunately, there is nobody left alive who fought at Passchendeale. Paul Gross apparently got the story from
his grandfather who WAS there. I think Gross did the best he could and most reviewers reckoned it wasn't all bad.
I would say Gross was poorly cast but since Gross wrote, produced, directed, and starred in that movie, we are
left to take what we got. Like it or lump it........