Operation repo

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
What a bunch of fake reality crap. It is time to take back our television from these network monkeys people.

Whose with me?

We attack at dawn!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
As for reality shows... even the most normal seeming people play up for the camera. If you've ever watched 'the rig', it was filmed on a rig hubby used to do work for, guys he used to work alongside, even a relative of mine was on it, and we laughed our asses off at the way they over reacted to stuff and played up for the camera.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
As for reality shows... even the most normal seeming people play up for the camera. If you've ever watched 'the rig', it was filmed on a rig hubby used to do work for, guys he used to work alongside, even a relative of mine was on it, and we laughed our asses off at the way they over reacted to stuff and played up for the camera.

Yeah, but the Trailer Park Boys are more convincing than this Operation Repo. And don't even get me started on Gene Simmons.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, but the Trailer Park Boys are more convincing than this Operation Repo. And don't even get me started on Gene Simmons.

I'm with you.....it's a bunch of crap....I have seen better acting during a WWE wrestling match.

I am still trying to figure out why I am so hooked on Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters International. It's not like those watching the shows get to see or hear what those in the show here in real time. I always see these guys and girls get startled by something, but then have to wait until the last part of the show to see what is found when they review camera and tapes etc....

I think I may need to get a life!!!!

Another show that has to be full of S**t is "Manhunter". So you are telling me that the 2 guys being hunted arent being held up by the film crew with them....and that the cowboy hunting them cant see the big burly camera man and his side kick with the really long boom mike?????

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
That's what editers are fer.

Quite so - and that is "editors."

That said, I agree with you. I am getting quite annoyed at the plethora of "reality shows" on what used to be science and historical channels. Informational TV has degenerated into dozens of shows dealing with repo men, junk collectors, junk removers, idiots playing with firearms, and many others of similar ilk. It would be nice if they would take all of these shows and put them on a few specialty channels entitled "Junk TV" or something like that. Unfortunately, that is not likely to be the case and as a result the continjually dumbing down of TV content will continue.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
novel idea...... if you don't like "reality TV", don't watch it. Unless of course you're one of those people without a life that just needs something to bitch and whine about.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I like movies and TV for entertainment ... like reading a book. I want a story that takes my mind on a one or two hour adventure. TV used to be like that. Star Trek was one of my favourites. TV today is nothing more than people talking about what may happen in an upcoming decision, watching fat people loose weight or creepy people get covered in bugs for money, see someone renovate and sell their home, how to cook, dance and sing contests, the weather and more junk TV.

I wonder how many people are thinking the same thing and what can be done about it ... start a petition to the CRTC to have junk TV regulated and relegated?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
TV programing is an excellent barometer for the intelligent quotient of the average viewers. So called reality TV is cheep to produce and seems to fill the need for most people to veg out in the evenings.

Sick and tired of being treated like morons by the networks, start a campaign on line to boycott that crap. Do a youtube video, rant like a lunatic and it will surely go viral over night.

Come to think of it, that is a great way to reach people on a lot of issues. Now if I can only figure out how to use my built in iSight camera, I could start my own Youtube channel. Maybe I could make money by filming myself doing house work in a French maid outfit! There must be a market for those who get off on dumpy old farts in French maid outfits. Ya, that should bring in a handful of change.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
TV programing is an excellent barometer for the intelligent quotient of the average viewers. So called reality TV is cheep to produce and seems to fill the need for most people to veg out in the evenings.

Sick and tired of being treated like morons by the networks, start a campaign on line to boycott that crap. Do a youtube video, rant like a lunatic and it will surely go viral over night.

Come to think of it, that is a great way to reach people on a lot of issues. Now if I can only figure out how to use my built in iSight camera, I could start my own Youtube channel. Maybe I could make money by filming myself doing house work in a French maid outfit! There must be a market for those who get off on dumpy old farts in French maid outfits. Ya, that should bring in a handful of change.

I can understand a boycott after a concerted effort has been made to change the content. I haven't heard of any effort to moderate TV content or let the CRTC know that people are not as braindead as reality TV portrays or anticipates, expects and requires. There are online petitions that work ... a petition for faster response to Amber Alert made a difference to policy in Ontario after the abduction of Tory Stafford.

The only reality shows i watch is the "Wildest Poliuce Videos" series.

When my children first told me about reality TV and how disgusting it was to see people being dared to do disgusting things, at the same time they couldn't help themselves but to watch just in case some one did it ... I warned them that it wasn't real and not to try that stuff unless they were on TV.

It's not entertainment any more than the game show and variety show. They have a place, but it seems that today junk TV dominates TV entertainment and it's difficult to find a short, escapism adventure ... like Star Trek.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The biggest laugh I got was during the writers' strike, when there was a mention of how it was affecting the reality shows.

If reality shows have writers, they aren't reality. Not that I ever thought they were. It's more amateur drama.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I never watch (so called) reality television. I can honestly say I've never seen one episode of Survivor. I find it hard to believe anyone really buys any of it as "reality" anyway. Personally I feel that there's more than enough reality in every day life, TV time should be about fiction and fantasy.

But each to their own, I have books to read and, on occassion, HBO and Showtime do some decent productions.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What a bunch of fake reality crap. It is time to take back our television from these network monkeys people.

Whose with me?

We attack at dawn!

Oh man... Operation Repo... All Worked Up...Southern Fried Sting... complete garbage. The worst shows ever. I can't believe those genres are actually doing well. They are like Pro Wrestling... fake, fake, fake.

Idiocy.

The only reality shows i watch is the "Wildest Poliuce Videos" series.

Operation Repo isn't even reality. It is all faked... they are acting. The Repo people and the people getting their cars towed are all acting.

Police videos... Bait Car (a great Canadian idea)... those are cool because you get to see human nature.

My favorite line from Bait Car was a guy telling his pal after they stole a bait car...

"We own this city man! Where are we?"

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
The biggest laugh I got was during the writers' strike, when there was a mention of how it was affecting the reality shows.

If reality shows have writers, they aren't reality. Not that I ever thought they were. It's more amateur drama.

Reality TV is an industry wrapped around an illusion of entertainment and the idea is marketed to people with money suggesting that what they have to sell is entertaining, be it fatness, dangerousness, stupidness, danceness, singness, scaryness ... and the people with money decide to back the idea. It's not surprising that Murdering Mommys is headline news for 8 weeks on every United Stations TV program.

I think people would much prefer Star Trek or a story rather than murdering mommies ... but that's where the guys with money are putting their money - the endless game show.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
novel idea...... if you don't like "reality TV", don't watch it. Unless of course you're one of those people without a life that just needs something to bitch and whine about.

I had thought there might be a novel in it. Thanks. Secondly, I don't watch it the television was left on whilst I was conversing with Karrie about John McCrae and I was drawn to the Mexican soundtrack (which you know I can't resist). Third, if I had a time machination I would go back in time and kill Mark Burnett, then buy stock in MIcrosoft.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Probably why we almost never watch TV. News and movies. The supreme commander watches lots of travel shows but I find them too much like reality shows.