Aug 30, 2005
Here are a couple of Poppies taken a few minutes ago:

That is a Lily.

This Woodpecker shows up almost dailey at the suet feeder:

Reactions: karrie

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Those are beautiful Juan! I wish my flowers looked as wonderful as those.
We have had a very cold summer so far and the flowers are coming along very slowly!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Niflmir, Hazmart..

Jan has a pair of the greenest thumbs around and she has been frustrated to tears by these antlered goats that abound on the island. Jan has a Lilac that was given to her in grandmother who brought it over on the boat umpteen years ago. Jan has grown Lilacs in every house we've owned. The book on raising plants around deer says that deer don't like Lilacs. A month or so ago, one of the deer that didn't read the book, chewed them down to the ground. They are coming back slowly but there is now a chicken wire fence around them. This year her flowers are looking really good and I just thought I would post a few photos while most of them are still there...;-):smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Flowers of some kind.

More flowers..

Hard to stay mad at this guy:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
They're gorgeous Juan - tell Jan she's a saint to grow such a beautiful buffet for the deer and other island wildlife! ;)

I'm quite sure providing a buffet was not her first priority.....;-) When we first moved to Gabriola we had a great little potted herb garden with parsley, chives, oregano, basil, mint...etc. on our sun deck. Any cook will tell you how great it is to have fresh herbs just an arm's reach away. One morning everything was gone. ****, they even broke a couple of the pots. We thought about venison for a few days at least.;-);-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Jan's Garden is all gone. I forgot to latch the gate and the deer got in and ate everything. I once called them "antlered goats"...."Antlered pigs" would be a better name. Deer season isn't until the Fall.............but...

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
All those flowers are beautiful. How come no one included portulacas?

Or, being more practical, how about a picture of vine-ripened tomatoes?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Who left the gate open?

Want some venison recipes?

Don't I just. We recently spent a pile of money on 300 feet of six foot high cedar fencing and I didn't latch the friggin gate....:roll::angry3:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Don't I just. We recently spent a pile of money on 300 feet of six foot high cedar fencing and I didn't latch the friggin gate....:roll::angry3:

.............back to the Gypsy Moth...............:-(

Damn shame, Juan. Take several deep breaths, then squeeeeeze the trigger. Don't jerk it.

Use Wolfs' recipes.

How do you like the couch?? Comfy??

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Seems an autolatching mechanism would be a wise investment. I intend to put one on my back gate... the kids are constantly leaving the back yard open.