Tattoo Design

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, so, my husband is wanting a tattoo. He wants his first to be a maple leaf, so, I spent a while online trying to find good images to use, and this particular image gave me a great jumping off point.

I duplicated the right hand side of the image, with the little 'tail' near the base of the stem on the left hand side as well, and did the whole thing in a color similar to that of this image, but with a bit more depth... some golds, some maroon, some oranges, all overlaid with a vibrant red.

I then added a fleur de lis to the center, in the gold of France.

It looks awesome. But, it's all hand drawn, in pencil crayon nonetheless.... lol... so, sharing it on here is a bit hard. But, this is the basic idea anyway.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I like the maple leaf one as long it isn't to big or on his face.:smile:

My wife and I went into a local tattoo place, they have some terrific art work in there. She got a tattoo when she was 17 and they didn't do a very good job, it has since faded and changed shape a bit due to child birth. She has a rose and she is looking to cover it with something else or another rose.....any ideas would be appreciated.;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I like the maple leaf one as long it isn't to big or on his face.:smile:

My wife and I went into a local tattoo place, they have some terrific art work in there. She got a tattoo when she was 17 and they didn't do a very good job, it has since faded and changed shape a bit due to child birth. She has a rose and she is looking to cover it with something else or another rose.....any ideas would be appreciated.;-)

That's tricky Avro, because they need to work a certain amount with the lines that are there. Another rose would probably be the best idea, so they can work with the flow and not have it show through as much.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
That's tricky Avro, because they need to work a certain amount with the lines that are there. Another rose would probably be the best idea, so they can work with the flow and not have it show through as much.

they told us that they could cover it with anything as long as it is a full design with color. She is leaning towards a rose or roses. She also has her heart set on a lower back tattoo....which I love.

Here is a design I found online which we both like.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well the one and only tat I currently have I got back on Canada Day 2000. I drew it myself, which is of a slightly Goth-like maple leaf, which is black, with flames around the top, horns coming from the corners and water rippling below the leaf..... it is on my left arm which created it.

It's not super fancy, as the last design I made, I was told it was too complex *psh* so I perhaps over simplified it..... although the various colours in it do help balance it out pretty well. I do plan on adding to it again someday when I have more money to burn.... hopefully to extend the whole thing to go up and around my shoulder and down around my elbow.

After that, I may have one more tat on my other arm, but that would be about it for tats.

What you could do is take those two pics, print them out and goto a Tattoo artist and tell him/her what you want done. They will usually draw out a template they will use to apply to your skin, and you can go back and forth figuring out the final design.

Or you could take what you drew already, they will retrace it into a template, and away you go.

Just remember that the more colours you add into the design, the higher the cost. Mine has..... um...... 6 or so colours in it, is only about 4"x4" in size, and cost me around $165 for the whole thing.... where if I just got one colour with the black, it would have only been about $80.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
they told us that they could cover it with anything as long as it is a full design with color. She is leaning towards a rose or roses. She also has her heart set on a lower back tattoo....which I love.

Here is a design I found online which we both like.

self deleted

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well the one and only tat I currently have I got back on Canada Day 2000. I drew it myself, which is of a slightly Goth-like maple leaf, which is black, with flames around the top, horns coming from the corners and water rippling below the leaf..... it is on my left arm which created it.

Ooo, share pics?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Heres one from this site karrie take a look there are loads and people have ranked them in order of there favourites i picked this at random

Oh yeah, I'm very familiar with that site. I've gotten some good ideas from there. But, I was more interested in what kind of ink the folks of this forum are sporting, and what they may have designed, etc.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Karrie,you seem to have some talent with a pen and paper. I would strongly suggest finding a good artist that could recreate your own drawings or has a good sense of what you want. I have attempted to do that and have mixed results. Remember it is there for life or until covered up.Go for it,express yourself.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Health Risks of Tattooing and Ear/Body Piercing

Skin and mucous membranes in the mouth and nose protect you from many infections. Both tattooing and ear/body piercing procedures involve piercing the skin or mucous membrane with a needle or other sharp instrument. Unless the needles are new, sterilized for each treatment and properly handled by the practitioner, instruments can be contaminated with the infected blood or bodily fluids of another person. You may also have bacteria or viruses present on your skin that can enter your body and cause infection when your skin is pierced. Practitioners who do the tattooing and piercing are also at risk of becoming infected through accidental cuts and punctures.
It is possible to transmit viral infections such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)/Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and herpes through tattooing and piercing, as well as bacterial skin infections such as Streptococcus and Staphylococcus.

And it's a real turn-off.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Feel free to start a thread all about it Walter. But kindly keep to the topic of tattoo design in this one if you don't mind.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Health Risks of Tattooing and Ear/Body Piercing

Skin and mucous membranes in the mouth and nose protect you from many infections. Both tattooing and ear/body piercing procedures involve piercing the skin or mucous membrane with a needle or other sharp instrument. Unless the needles are new, sterilized for each treatment and properly handled by the practitioner, instruments can be contaminated with the infected blood or bodily fluids of another person. You may also have bacteria or viruses present on your skin that can enter your body and cause infection when your skin is pierced. Practitioners who do the tattooing and piercing are also at risk of becoming infected through accidental cuts and punctures.
It is possible to transmit viral infections such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)/Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and herpes through tattooing and piercing, as well as bacterial skin infections such as Streptococcus and Staphylococcus.

And it's a real turn-off.

Well I'm not planning on dating or sexing it up with you anytime soon, so it doesn't matter if you think they're a turn-off or not.

This is a thread in relation to art, and tattoos are widely accepted as being a form of art in many cultures around the world. For those interested in the art of tattoos, they can feel free to come here and talk about them, and I see no justification for you shoving your finger up our arses and calling us and tattoos bad, just because you don't like them.

This isn't the thread for debating that, this is a thread talking about types of tattoos and how to go about getting them done..... not about how bad they are and trying to shove it in our faces that we shouldn't be doing or having them done to us.

If you want to debate whether or not tattoos/piercings are art or not, feel free to start another thread in this section about them, but the debate probably won't last too long once everybody says they like them or don't.

If you want to tell us that tattoos are bad for us and we shouldn't have them done.... I believe this section would be better suited:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/science-environment/

Until a new thread is started in regards to what you posted, I will not be directly responding to your above details, as I am not wanting to spin this thread to some side-topic.

Reactions: karrie

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
tattoos are a great way to communicate ones innermost thoughts, past, and personality.
i have a large butterfly on my foot and the wings have a design of cat eyes in them (no pic sorry)