DC unveils Cree superhero

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
DC unveils Cree superhero
QMI AGENCY
First posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 05:21 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, March 28, 2014 05:34 PM EDT
A teenage Cree girl from northern Ontario is the newest member of DC's Justice League Canada.
In a description of its upcoming Justice League United title, the comic book publisher teased: "Don't miss the debut of a new Canadian hero who will have a huge effect on the group!"
DC unveiled an image of the new character on Friday, a Cree heroine named Equinox from Moose Factory, Ont., a James Bay community with a population of just over 2,400.
She's the brainchild of Canadian author and comic writer Jeff Lemire, best known for Essex County, a trilogy of graphic novels about life in his rural Ontario hometown.
Equinox's debut issue hits shelves April 23.
Equinox, the latest superhero to be added to DC's Justice League Canada comic book lineup, is a Cree woman. (Courtesy/DC)

DC unveils Cree superhero | Books | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It almost sounds like they are trying to have a team that is similar to Alpha Flight (Marvel Comics). I'm not sure if this character will fly or not, but one can only hope. New characters can either become huge (such as Jubilee from X-Men) or sputter out (Speedball, a Marvel character that came into the scene with a lot of fanfare but never really caught on. He's still around, but not super popular). I also wonder if they are trying to cash in on the success of the new Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) character who is Muslim?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It almost sounds like they are trying to have a team that is similar to Alpha Flight (Marvel Comics). I'm not sure if this character will fly or not, but one can only hope. New characters can either become huge (such as Jubilee from X-Men) or sputter out (Speedball, a Marvel character that came into the scene with a lot of fanfare but never really caught on. He's still around, but not super popular). I also wonder if they are trying to cash in on the success of the new Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) character who is Muslim?
Huh. Who knew? Well, besides you, that is.

I guess comics are a big business these days. I just wonder. . . it seems that DC is moving the Justice League to Canada. Seems a little weird, considering the size of the markets.

Captain Canuck? Seriously?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Huh. Who knew? Well, besides you, that is.

I guess comics are a big business these days. I just wonder. . . it seems that DC is moving the Justice League to Canada. Seems a little weird, considering the size of the markets.

Captain Canuck? Seriously?

I've collected comics for many years now (Marvel, DC, Image, other Indie companies).:)

Recently, The Walking Dead #1 sold for $10000 in an online auction. I missed out on the start of that series by only a few issues (I started at issue #7, but I have 1-6 via trade paper back (TPB) ). So, comics are very big these days what with all the movies and television shows that are doing well.

I'm not sure if you know, but one of Marvel's most popular characters is Canadian. Wolverine is a Canuck!:)

As for the Justice League moving to Canada, it may just be a branch for Canadian members to handle Canadian problems as opposed to the main Justice League that handles international incidents. Of course, with the events of Forever Evil (DC's big event right now), there might not BE a main Justice League anymore.;)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've collected comics for many years now (Marvel, DC, Image, other Indie companies).:)

Recently, The Walking Dead #1 sold for $10000 in an online auction. I missed out on the start of that series by only a few issues (I started at issue #7, but I have 1-6 via trade paper back (TPB) ). So, comics are very big these days what with all the movies and television shows that are doing well.
Clearly. And I suppose on-line comics are booming.

I'm not sure if you know, but one of Marvel's most popular characters is Canadian. Wolverine is a Canuck!:)
I always wondered why he wasn't named "Beaver." I guess it would have been less hard-*ss. Played by an Australian, no less.

As for the Justice League moving to Canada, it may just be a branch for Canadian members to handle Canadian problems as opposed to the main Justice League that handles international incidents. Of course, with the events of Forever Evil (DC's big event right now), there might not BE a main Justice League anymore.;)
It seems like they're actually moving the Justice League of America to Canada, from the little bit I googled about it. But. . . all these permutations is one of the reasons I got out of comics. So, what do I know? I started late anyhow, so I guess the bug never bit real deep.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Clearly. And I suppose on-line comics are booming.

I always wondered why he wasn't named "Beaver." I guess it would have been less hard-*ss. Played by an Australian, no less.

It seems like they're actually moving the Justice League of America to Canada, from the little bit I googled about it. But. . . all these permutations is one of the reasons I got out of comics. So, what do I know? I started late anyhow, so I guess the bug never bit real deep.

The new thing is digital versions. If you purchase a comic, you can go to the site and download a virtual copy of it for free. Perhaps that is a way to "lend" a comic to a friend without worrying about it getting lost/damaged.

Beaver would suck as a name. LOL!

I will admit that the "reboots" that they do from time to time can be irksome. Just when I get used to the mythos it gets re-arranged due to a "cosmic event".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The movies are fun, though. In addition to the tech getting better, once in a while there's really good acting/writing. Iron Man springs to mind, as does the new Spiderman. Hulk, Thor, not so much.

I never understood why they got that poofter to play Thor. Here's the obvious choice for Thor:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Actually, I didn't mind the first Thor movie (I haven't seen the second one yet). I also liked Iron Man, and thought Robert Downey Jr. was perfect for that role. The Avengers movie had a nice mix of action and humour. There are a lot of good superhero movies out right now, which in turn makes for more people buying comics.

The artwork in comics is also far superior to what it used to be (at least in my eyes). There are some older X-Men comics that I own where the artwork inside looks decidedly poor. The writing was also a lot less mature, but I attribute that to the companies being leashed by the Comics Code Authority. Thankfully both DC and Marvel threw off those shackles and it makes for darker storylines. Needless to say, most series from those two companies don't have extreme profanity or any nudity (which is fine by me), but some series have both. The Walking Dead is one of them. It is a VERY violent comic, and has an extreme amount of profanity and has also had a bit of nudity in it (nothing hardcore, of course).