Police Officer

dreamcatcher

Feb 9, 2010
Hey guys. I apologize if this had been posted in wrong section, but im new to this. I plan to move to Alberta from Toronto to continue my BA education, and i wonder how easy it is to get a law enforcement job in Alberta? Also if its possible can you give me some sort of price difference between Ontario and Alberta. I've searched all over the internet but could find any stats like that.

Thanks in advance.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I haven't a clue. Just popped in to say hi and welcome to CanCon. :)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Hey guys. I apologize if this had been posted in wrong section, but im new to this. I plan to move to Alberta from Toronto to continue my BA education, and i wonder how easy it is to get a law enforcement job in Alberta? Also if its possible can you give me some sort of price difference between Ontario and Alberta. I've searched all over the internet but could find any stats like that.

Thanks in advance.

Edmonton has been recruiting officers from as far away as Great Britain.......

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Edmonton has been recruiting officers from as far away as Great Britain.......
RCMP claims they are not hiring right now. Edmonton is not that easy to get into. At least it wasn't a few years ago. They wanted people that knew the city inside out.
The RCMP claim is that they are not hiring in BC anyway - maybe they are in AB. They say it is because of the Olympics. Sounds like a poor excuse because - by the time anyone gets approved for training (which takes some months) and then goes through training, the Olympics will be nothing more than a memory and a bad debt.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Thanks in advance.
Price difference in? Housing? Wages?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
RCMP claims they are not hiring right now. Edmonton is not that easy to get into. At least it wasn't a few years ago. They wanted people that knew the city inside out.
The RCMP claim is that they are not hiring in BC anyway - maybe they are in AB. They say it is because of the Olympics. Sounds like a poor excuse because - by the time anyone gets approved for training (which takes some months) and then goes through training, the Olympics will be nothing more than a memory and a bad debt.
The Govt shafted the RCMP and Transport Canada by farming out alot of the security to private companies. Harper just doesn't seem to want to invest in Canada and the top notch services that don't need the help of private companies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So you are saying that in Edmonton i have more chances to get hired than in Calgary?
He has no idea. He live on the east coast.

In Alberta you'll need at least $800+ per month rent (first and last month up front) for a decent apartment with no crackheads or hookers around.

Alberta isn't cheap.

dreamcatcher

Feb 9, 2010
Yea i agree that it isnt cheap, but people always say that the wages are also higher than in Ontario. Plus, im a student for the next 3-4 years, so i will be renting a room for 400-500 a month.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The Govt shafted the RCMP and Transport Canada by farming out alot of the security to private companies. Harper just doesn't seem to want to invest in Canada and the top notch services that don't need the help of private companies.
You could be right. I do know that many of the RCMP (including 32 from this city) are seconded to the Olympics and for now at least, we'll need security from other sources. That is BC though. I don't know what's happening in other provinces or whether or not applicants from there are being turned down. The person I know that was turned down is a Turkish Muslim. I thought he was a shoe in. I work with another person who says he wouldn't trust him as far as he could throw him but I'm under the impression his lack of trust is more bias than it is a true lack of a person. I say bias rather than racial because he often mistrusts many people and they are not all of a different race than he is. I don't believe the applicant went far enough with the application to be turned down for other reasons so I guess that they must just be too busy to process applications right now. I assume that until the Olympics are over, that will apply to other places as well as the police are very focused on that whole event right now and security is very very tight.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Well, housing and food is what im interested in. Also what is the minimum hourly pay?
I live in BC so someone from Alberta will have to answer that for you since that is where you want to go. Unless you have previous experience though, you don't just decide to become a police officer. You have to take several months training. Housing starts and housing costs in BC are on the up swing again right now. I don't know what's happening in other provinces regarding that either. I guess it's clear that I don't intend to move. ;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
He has no idea. He live on the east coast.

In Alberta you'll need at least $800+ per month rent (first and last month up front) for a decent apartment with no crackheads or hookers around.

Alberta isn't cheap.
A one bedroom apt. here costs at least that much and this is a small BC city. I think Calgary would be more expensive than here. Ex daughter-in-law pays that much for a one bedroom and she's not exactly living at the Ritz!

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Yea i agree that it isnt cheap, but people always say that the wages are also higher than in Ontario. Plus, im a student for the next 3-4 years, so i will be renting a room for 400-500 a month.

I don't know about Edmonton, haven't been there in many years. It might be a bit of a challenge to find something that cheap in Calgary, at least for anything other than a hovel. We were looking for 2 br places and they ran from $900 - $1200 for relatively decent places. Starting wages for unskilled labour are around $12 -$14/hr. Compared to the East coast certain costs of living such as gas, electric, food, taxes, are quite a bit cheaper. I'm waiting to hear the difference in auto insurance, but I'm sure it's comparable. The nickle an dimeing can add up, (not that there is any shortage of that in NS too); if you import an out of province vehicle it has to have a safety inspection, and starting this past January it has to , in the words of one shop owner, "be in near showroom condition to pass". Insurance companies require a safety inspection on certain vehicles as well. Photo radar and red light cameras can also eat into the budget, and those things are everywhere.

Good luck, and welcome to CanCon :hello2:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Juan is right... Edmonton is hard up for officers and has been recruiting like crazy for quite a while. I'm not too sure about Calgary, but, I do know living costs are a smidge (and only a smidge) lower in Edmonton than Calgary. Like others, I don't know the cost comparisons between provinces, but, Alberta's generally the highest.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I was working at the grande cache medium security prison last year and they were hiring and training steady,most every one of the trainees was from down east,i have no idea who you would get ahold of though but the pay was supposedly good.

dreamcatcher

Feb 9, 2010
I was working at the grande cache medium security prison last year and they were hiring and training steady,most every one of the trainees was from down east,i have no idea who you would get ahold of though but the pay was supposedly good.

well right now im working in security on call, since i'm a full time student. But anyways i have around 2 years of experience in this field. Do you think i have chances to get in with what i have now?