1st year Electrician Moving for work

Mhouse88

Jan 11, 2010
Hello, my name is Mike.
I will be completeing my first year electricians coarse within the next two months and will have to relocate for work due to the lack of it in the small town I am in. I have one child and another on the way and have no other close but to go and find some work. Ive been doin research and looking for availablities, I dont know if im just not looking in the right places or what not, But cant seem to find much. I have done some reading on camp jobs and understand its hard work, but I am willing todo it, My kids come first, eat sleep work, kids, eat sleep work kids. What I am looking for is some help finding some positions or even phone numbers for me to contact befor I decided on a desitnation. A Camp job would be ideal because of the money available and the travel when it comes to comin back once a month or sooner depending. If someone could give me a hand that would be great. Thanks alot guys.

Mike

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Type electrician into the search bar and pick a province,also Altallnk has some major projects here in Alberta running new high voltage power lines to the states,I subcontracted for them last summer and they have to replace all the power poles from here to BC the next few years as they were planted in the 50's and are now in need of replacement.Their looking for sparkys but you best be good at climbing 80 foot power poles to work on switching the lines from old poles to new.
Bienvenue au Guichet emplois / Welcome to Job Bank

Type lethbridge herald into a search bar too and look in the classifies under skilled trades and labour,you will find Ace is also looking for electricians.

This will take about 5 years so lots of work coming up in that field.

Mhouse88

Jan 11, 2010
Thanks alot guy, all posts are appreciated, and Ive looked on the job bank but nothing for 1st years, and hell im not to shy of climbin some power poles work is work and moneys money, just need to get out of this little town in BC due to the lack of sparkys needed. Thanks again guy, very appreciated

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Thanks alot guy, all posts are appreciated, and Ive looked on the job bank but nothing for 1st years, and hell im not to shy of climbin some power poles work is work and moneys money, just need to get out of this little town in BC due to the lack of sparkys needed. Thanks again guy, very appreciated

I know I saw some Vallard trucks in town yesterday so they must be doing line work as well as Fortis.
Altalink is the big Alberta power outfit and they contract these guys as well as some others.

They have to replace all the power poles from Canmore to the BC border here in the south the next few years as they were planted back in the 50's.
Thats who I was last working for and they will be firing up in a few months.
They are also putting in a new line from lethbridge to pincher creek and down to the states and thats going on now.
Ace construction also is in on the electrical side of things on that project.
Theres also the cowley ridge wind farm and their planting those huge turbines as fast as they can.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
My son is a first year electrician as well. He couldn't find work in Edmonton so he took a job with Kal Tire. He was at work one day when an electrician came to fix one of the overhead doors. They struck up a conversation about job prospects and within a week he was hired by the electrical company. They're small, mostly residential work, but he's happy as a clam.

Sometimes you have to take an alternate route to get where you're going.

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
Mike,

If you want to do camp work, you will have to join the union, Local 424, I know that there is a big demand for electricians and will be for the remainder of the year, Suncor is starting a shut down at there fire bag location and should last for about 3 months, then Shell in Ft,saskatchewan will be going into there shut down March 15 and will last for about 3 to 5 months, Chemco is the preferd vendor. These are both union jobs and I would imagine there are alot of guys on the board waiting for a call(not sure) so call the hall in Edmonton, but if it was me I would go with the smaller non-union outfits, I have heard that there are to many J-men now a days and it cost to much to have 8 J-men on the same job, so first, second and thirds are in demand, you just have to find someone willing to give you a shot, start making calls in the Edmonton area there are hundreds of outfits.

Good Luck

By the way camp work is easy, just lonely.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Some of the electrical contractors I've worked with at Suncor and Nexen:
Lockerbie and Hole
Chemco
Norcan
Pyramid
Flint

There's also Honeywell if you want to get involved in fire alarm systems. They're operating at most of the major sites out here.

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
Keep in mind that Conoco Philips in Ft.Mac will be starting in Oct, and hopefully the Fort Hills project and Total next year in the Ft.Sask region so now is a good time, you will have your ticket at the end of any of these projects.

Mhouse88

Jan 11, 2010
Loys of great advice, ill get on the phone calls, I got word if I can come up with funding of any short I will be able todo my second year 3 weeks after I complete my first. Lets hope I can find the funding todo so, so many additional job opportunites available. If anyone has any ideas where I may be able to come up with funding, thats appreciated aswell. Thanks again guys.

Mhouse88

Jan 11, 2010
ya that won't be for a couple years I got into my second year just need to come up with thebfunding and I'll be fine if not sit on. Ei till my kids born