Camp Jobs in Alberta

GNR1010

Jan 5, 2010
Hi everybody,

I am a apprenticed plumber, I just finished obtaining my course at CONA here in NFLD. As you probably already know, after finishing this course I am obviously in debt by a few grand, and I always hear how great the camp jobs are money-wise. Not only am I looking for a camp job for money, but I am looking for a place to start my carear, and I really dont know where to turn to. It is hard this time of year for me to find a job here in NFLD, and I was wondering how hard it would be for me to find a job at the camps in Alberta or another province with regards to my Plumbing trade. I recently phoned Flint Energy and they told me that they were not looking for anybody right now. I was wondering if anybody knew any sites where I could apply for a job online or get some phone numbers with regards to plumbing / pipe fitting camp jobs.

Thanks in advance guys, I really dont know of many company names and maybe somebody from the Alberta area would be able to help me out and give me some names. All help is apperciated.

Thank you.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Best look around home,theres a few camp jobs in the mac but not many,most of the patch is shut down right now.The HRDC site would be your best bet.
I know all the head guys from flint as I worked for them before and have talked to them and all their competition as they tend to move around. Try big country energy also,their flints competition here along with skodopole.
She's pretty quiet in Alberta right now.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
You might want to check out the Elk valley coal corporations site to,it's a teck coal mine just over the border in B.C.
They have 5 big open pit coal mines in the elk valley and they directly employ about 7000 people so the turnover is high sometimes.
The scenery is also beautifull.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Agnico eagle,their meadowbank gold mine is just starting.
When I flew back with one of their management peeps a couple years ago I asked her where they would get the workers from and she said Newfoundland.:lol:

GNR1010

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you Kakato for all of your fast responses. These job openings and companies that you have mentioned, do you think that they'll have a demand for plumbers / pipe fitters? I am going to get my arse in gear and start contacting some companies. I also heard people say to try different parts of Canada as well like up North, etc.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Mines allways need plumbers and pipefitters,you can also search infomine,they handle most of the oilsands jobs but want a subscription for some.
Try the Calgary and edmonton sun classifieds,their both available online.
The hrdc job bank is the first place you should go though.
And dont do online resume's,fax them.
Agnico eagles mine is in the arctic,I was eventually camp manager there and at discovery camp north of Rankin inlet for a different company but in an exploration camp I am the plumber,pipefitter,carpenter,mechanic etc.

Meadowbank mine in Nunavut must be close to a 600 man camp now.
I left when it got over 45 guys,I hate crowds.:cool:

Cold lake also has some huge camps at the weapons range but you will have to cruise infomine or Encanna's site to see those.
I worked there to this spring:canada:
F15's flying overhead.8O

Acadiantrucker

Jan 5, 2010
Hi Kakato,

I am currently looking for positions in mining where a class 1 license driver is needed. I am willing to live in a mining camp so I can get the experience I need. I am willing to start asap. If you know of any contacts or companies that are currently hiring, could you please send me their website links. I live in Calgary.

Any information will be appreciated!
AcadianTrucker.

GNR1010

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you Kakato again for your quick response. You seem to know quite a bit about the camp sites in Canada. I am often told that it is no good to even try and get a camp job with a company by phoning them from Newfoundland and asking them for a job , is that true? I hear you have to be actually in the area where the camp is to actually have a chance to llook at you.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
90% of jobs here in the energy industry are got through word of mouth.
Other then what I have posted so far there is not much available,still looking myself as projects and budgets are getting slashed.
Theres more work in Saskatchewan then here in Alberta right now.

GNR1010

Jan 5, 2010
Thank you for all of the information you have given me Kakato, it is greatly appreciated.
I am calling as many companies as I possibly can today.
So far I phoned Big Country Energy, they told me that they are not hiring right now and things are pretty slow, but gave me their fax number and told me that I should definitely send in a resume and they would put me in the waiting line for a job.
Some of those mining companies you mentioned are also pretty interesting I will be giving them a try as well.

As for Saskatchewan , it doesn't really matter to me. I would go anywhere in Canada to get my carear started. I am pretty eager for work.

Many thanks.

GNR1010

Jan 5, 2010
To update my thread, I would just like to say that I did register at Flint and sent them a resume, as well called multiple of the mining companies without any luck. Alot of them assured me that this is a hard time of the year. I called Teck, and they told me to try out their web site because they were hiring, but I didn't see anything there saying they were looking for plumbers or pipe fitters or even laborers . The search for me continues, I am not going to give up, tonight I am going to try the HRDC and the Calgary and Edmonton classifieds to try and find myself a job.

penneytodd

Jan 10, 2010
welder

hello, i am lookinf for a camp job but dont know where to look other then HRDC site.. dose anyone have a email or know someone i can email to find out how to get a job??

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
hello, i am lookinf for a camp job but dont know where to look other then HRDC site.. dose anyone have a email or know someone i can email to find out how to get a job??

Hey Kakato...if you need a consultant to help you set up an employment agency, I'm your guy! :lol:

pakuna

Feb 1, 2011
i have heard that Noralta Lodge is in the process of hiring maintenance workers for northern alberta location. Plumber is ideal as that is always what goes wrong.. wages are decent. look on line to apply.. also the plumbing outlet in slave lake is down one man and needs help.. good luck

DRIVER101

Feb 25, 2011
N.B.
Hello, im looking for a camp job in western canada. Im looking for heavy equipment operator/truck driver. Can anyone comment??

troutriver

Aug 12, 2011
I would love to break into the heavy hauler industry, I took training on the old 1972 eculids back many years ago and loved driving this small truck compared to whats out there now. anyone know any company that would take you on and train you up. Just need that door just to open a little, so I can get the oppotunity to prove myself.