Moving to Calgary... need advice please

hoperon

Dec 11, 2009
I am a 4th generation anglo living in Montreal. We are packing up our 2 toddlers and heading West, finally. Can anyone advise me on a nice community to look at in Calgary, and what areas to stay away from? I would prefer a new suberb, with community elementary schools.
Also, can anyone reccommend a real estate agent?
Thx.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Our most prolific Calgarian poster doesn't seem to be around today, but, I'm sure he'll see this soon and be willing to give you some advice.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I am a 4th generation anglo living in Montreal. We are packing up our 2 toddlers and heading West, finally. Can anyone advise me on a nice community to look at in Calgary, and what areas to stay away from? I would prefer a new suberb, with community elementary schools.
Also, can anyone reccommend a real estate agent?
Thx.

Welcome to the forum hoperon. I would recomend any of the comunities in the Southeast or Southwest. Avoid the Northeast. If you are looking at only the newer comunities then I won't bother telling you which of the older ones to avoid....lol.

I do have a Real Estate agent to recomend to you and will send it to you in a private message.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
ok...can't send ya a private, so I will just post it here.

Moderator's Edit: Personal Information removed.

I sent hoperon a PM with the exact information you posted, Gerry. I just didn't want to leave the information out there for everyone to see(potential spammers, for example). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: karrie

luhjgh

Nov 28, 2010
try getting a house in the neighborhood called Ranchlands I live there, its a nice place...

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I lived in the Mckenzie Lake area for almost 10 years in the deep SE. It was nice, fairly self contained but yet still had good transit and road connections to the other parts of the city (OK that last is pretty much true no matter where you are in Calgary: the street layout is nice albeit confusing to newcomers). My sister and her family lived in Sundance for about 5 years and it too was nice. The thing you'll (generally) find is that things get rapidly more expensive as you get closer to downtown. I bought my house through an agent at Royal Lepage Foothills and sold through a girl who worked for Prudential Preferred (a recommendation from my sister who is also a realtor): both were great. If you want the specific agents' names, PM me.