Edmonton Knife Ban Proposed

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yep. You heard right.

source

Edmonton should ban the sale of knives and prohibit people from carrying them into nightclubs and other public places, Mayor Stephen Mandel said Monday in the wake of two deadly stabbings in the city.
"Way too many people have knives in their pockets, and it's gotta stop," he said.
Mandel made the comments following the fatal stabbings of two young men in Edmonton in the last four days.
Early Saturday, Brendan McNaughton, 21, was fatally stabbed in a parking lot near 182nd Street and 89th Avenue.
Three men have been charged in connection with the attack on McNaughton. Jayden Jeffery Zylinski, 19, faces a charge of second-degree murder, and Nathan Gordon Gour, 21, and Christopher John George, 30, have been charged with assault.
On Thursday, the body of Landis Tyson Stick, 24, was discovered at the side of the road at 104th Street and 107th Avenue. He died several hours later in hospital of a stab wound.
Mandel said he wants to take action and planned to meet with city lawyers Monday to determine whether council has the power to create a bylaw that deals with knives.
He also spoke at length with police Chief Mike Boyd, who agreed action is necessary.
Brian Kroon, owner of Spike Camp, a military and police supply store in South Edmonton, said a ban on knives is preposterous. "The mayor is politicking," he said.
He said a ban on the sale of knives would not put an end to stabbings since criminals would likely make their own weapons.
Kroon said it's illegal to attack or kill someone and suggested the mayor lobby for stiffer penalties for people who are involved in a stabbing, rather than pursue a ban.
But parents are worried about the safety of their children when they go to bars, Mandel said.
"I've been told by very reliable sources that this is the worst city in Canada for [carrying knives], " he said.
Police don't have the right to search someone they suspect is carrying a knife unless they have justifiable cause.
Mandel wants to work with the courts to change that.
"I don't know the answers to the questions, but you know, sitting back and saying we can't do anything is not the answer, either," he said.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
ive worked with a wide variety of different people from Edmonton and they all pretty much knew someone thats been stabbed.

They all say there is a major gang problem, would identifying these gangs and coming at them with gang injunction help the problem? Or at least people who think there gangsta.

what do you think?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have no idea how many stabbings are linked to gangs, so I have no real clue if tougher gang crack downs would help. I do know RCMP whose sole job is to try to take down these gangs though, so I don't know if we can really step up from what we're already doing in that department.

But, it seems to me that the criminals already HAVE knives. What's a ban on them going to achieve? How will I stock my kitchen? Cleaving chicken is tough with a butter knife and spoon.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Not only that, I can understand people not knowing that you can make a pistol or machine gun in your garage in about month (and thinking a gun ban is useful)

But who is dumb enough to not understand you can just make a knife? inmates under 24/7 security including strip searches still make knives from the most innocent items that get through prison screening.

Modern guns are a hundred and fifty year old technology, but knives have been human technology for over a million years, literally.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Again the solution of disarming everybody cannot be obtained. The next best thing is to arm everybody. What you need is a cheap disposable (un-reloadable) small-bore gun. At the time of purchase your palm-print is registered to that gun and you have to be holding it for the safety to be deactivated. (that way if you drop it in a fight you can't also end up being shot with your own gun) non-lethal ammo, I prefer rock-salt as the effects are not as severe in the very beginning. The incentive to stop any attack is from salt entering a small wound. That is less pain-full than a 1oz bean-bag traveling at speed where that initial pain is all there is as an incentive to stop. Rock-salt can also be tailored to complete break-up within a certain # of ft.

As ridiculous as the above may be, it would result in two people being able to go about their business after a 'confrontation involving a knife' where both people are affected for life no matter who holds the weapon. It would also nullify any such edge a knife gives a person as sooner or later real guns will be the preferred method of defense.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I have no idea how many stabbings are linked to gangs, so I have no real clue if tougher gang crack downs would help. I do know RCMP whose sole job is to try to take down these gangs though, so I don't know if we can really step up from what we're already doing in that department.

But, it seems to me that the criminals already HAVE knives. What's a ban on them going to achieve? How will I stock my kitchen? Cleaving chicken is tough with a butter knife and spoon.
Hatchet, sharp hatchet, just say you need it for camping. Take away knives and the people will pick up a club anyway and there is usually something laying around that would do in a pinch.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've been carrying a pocket knife since I was five years old. I actually
found my first pocket knife when I was five and it was a nasty, rusty
thing that my Father replaced for me (when I was five years old) with
a new knife so I wouldn't end up with Tetanus and Lockjaw, as long
as I would throw away the knife I'd found.

For the last fifteen years or so I not only carry my pocket knife, but a
folding (locking) belt knife. I use both everyday, and I've managed to
never stab anyone in the last twenty-five years...

I'm in Regina, and we have a bit of a gang problem here. Feel free to
check the crime statistics for Canada to see where Regina ranks. The
knife of choice in most stabbings seems to be the serrated edge steak
knife and these are sold in a pack of four or five the Dollar Stores....
Non-folding. Skinny flexible blade. Serrated edge. Inexpensive, and
not matter how tightly regulated the sale of knifes get, these would be
easy to obtain and dispose of as someone would only be out of pocket
a portion of a dollar if they ditched one of these knifes. Regulate that.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ron. I tend to count on the men around me to be carrying knives, leathermen, etc. I keep a swiss army style nail set in my purse, but the scissors and nail file are little help when I need to cut twine, etc. lol.

Most oilpatch guys and farmers up here would find it problematic to go without their knives. I think the mayor needs to give his head a shake over this one.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's another case of a politician wanting to look like he's doing something without really doing anything.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Not only that, I can understand people not knowing that you can make a pistol or machine gun in your garage in about month (and thinking a gun ban is useful)

But who is dumb enough to not understand you can just make a knife? inmates under 24/7 security including strip searches still make knives from the most innocent items that get through prison screening.

Modern guns are a hundred and fifty year old technology, but knives have been human technology for over a million years, literally.

a toothbrush (or pen), a disposal razor and a match.... Done