Moving to Alberta

wandering

Nov 28, 2007
England
Iv'e been considering moving to Alberta from England for some time now and have decided to go for it next summer :) I have had holidays in Canada several times and have fallen in love with place and the people are just wonderful.

Iv'e worked in the metal casting industry for years and was wondering if there are many jobs available in steel works or general casting plants, I know of one company in Nisku, Esco. What are salaries like? and the cost of living?

How much money will be needed to settle in and find a job?
I was looking at Edmonton, Calgary.

Thank you for your time,
Ian

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
I spent some time in Alberta in 2004. Or was it 2003? I forget. I'm still waiting for Mr. O'Brien to remind me exactly when it was that I was in Alberta.

I'm gettin' old..... my memory is not what it used to be.

Anyway, from what I can remember, the people in Alberta are very hospitable. I can't say much more than that, as I don't recall which town in Alberta I was in... Maybe it was just a really bad acid trip. Who knows?

jimshort19

Electoral Member
Nov 24, 2007
Zurich
Well, have you ever been to Edmonton in the 'off season'? The last Englishman who tried to discover Edmonton in leui of the Northwest Passage was found a hundred years later frozen somewhere in the northern expanse. Don't try the boat, take the southern way in.

Jobs, salary information, accomodation information and everything that you might wish to know is on the net. In fact, you may be able to line up your entire life on the net. Most of the jobs in Canada are found and prequalified on the net.

In the matter of metal fabrication, it's not a big industry, but it's here alright. Specialties like making high spec pipe for nuclear reactors is perhaps a more a part of things here than crude casting, but if it's made anywhere on earth, it's made somewhere in Canada by someone. Why not you? But you gotta be good. We aren't known for being any cheaper than the Brits or the Americans, or any less credentialist.

Immigrants are welcome here. You'll find the red carpet treatment treatment in most communities until your accent wears off, and then you'll find we treat each other just the same anyway. Good luck and it it scarcly matters whether it's Alberta or anywhere else accross the continent. The Canadian new world is never so strange as Europe.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hey wandering.

I have no idea how prices around Nisku and Edmonton compare to England, but they are quite high compared to much of the rest of the country. Get on msn.ca and take a gander through some of the available realestate before you make any hard decisions on where to settle.

Best of luck!

movingtocanada

Dec 31, 2007
Moving to Edmonton form England tooooo!

Hi Any joy on the moving to Alberta/Edmonton? We (me, husband, 2 babies) are planning to move to Edmonton next year too for my husband to do a PhD and me to carry on working as a Speech Therapist. How is your planning going, seems vvvvvvvvvvvvvv bureaucratic and confusing with Provincial and National governing bodies with Visas, qualification transferability, student enrolment, finding jobs etc aaaarh! Any advice much appreciated and any info on accomodation? rental market seems hard to find...? Or all HIDEOUS apartment/condos......I would love to live in a house. Would love to hear from you

snowwhite20

Jan 18, 2008
Alberta
I know that in Calgary there are a ton of jobs...............but housing is expensive you are looking at $1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment so in order to move in you have to pay first months rent, damage deposit which is usually equal to first months rent, plus utility, phone and cable hook ups which is min $200

Westerner

Jan 18, 2008
Alberta
Well I just moved to Edmonton and I find it cheaper than where I was before especially considering Alberta's low taxation. I like the city and the people here are very friendly. There is also a real can do attitude here. For me finding work was hardly a task at all and the morning I sent out resumes I received requests for interviews by the afternoon. However I suppose it depends which field of study you are in. I wanted to work in the trades and there is great demand for workers here to do so.

Overall my experience here has been a positive one and even though I have only been here a short while I have found myself becoming more of an Albertan every day. :)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
welcome to Edmonton, Westerner... nice to see someone appreciating the finer aspects of this city - like I've said before, it seems we usually find what we're looking for...;-)

Westerner

Jan 18, 2008
Alberta
There may be a shortage of labour but there is no shortage of happiness here. :cheers:

Well maybe if you were in that tent city thing. :p

I know that in Calgary there are a ton of jobs...............but housing is expensive you are looking at $1200 for a 2 bedroom apartment so in order to move in you have to pay first months rent, damage deposit which is usually equal to first months rent, plus utility, phone and cable hook ups which is min $200

We just moved into a new place on January 10, 2008, and were actually quite pleased with the promotions currently offered by Shaw, etc. The Management company (Emerald) has a contract with Shaw and with Enmax, so that we didn't have to pay any installation fees. Even better, some of Shaw's services are free for the first month right now when you open a new account. (I was quite pleased with that!)

Westerner

Jan 18, 2008
Alberta
Yes tent city was some little area here with squatters who put up tents and made a little shanty town. I think it has now been removed now though.

certainreality

Aug 29, 2007
Going to Alberta

I am moving to Alberta in Apr2008, I am a Business Analyst and my wife is a Nurse, which city either Edmonton or Calgary will hold better opportunities for us.

movingtocanada

Dec 31, 2007
Hi We are moving to Edmonton in the summer (from the UK). I also work in healthcare delivery and there are a mulititude of jobs and I have been offered 2 rather good opportunites already from just sending out my CV. Personally I am very excited about moving to Edmonton, it seems to be a good sized, exciting and family orientated city and it is CHEAP!!!! (well very compared to London). Yes it will be cold but so what? It rains all the time in London but I also love it here! And people have been amazingly helpful and friendly, we have been overwhelmed by how kind and generous Edmontonians have been. And they have a great accent...very soft gentle accent in my opinion (and I am a speech pathologist!). A very lovely welcoming attitude which can only be a good thing.