Making it in Edmonton

Youstah

Oct 29, 2007
Hello Edmontonians,
My current employer has offered me a job in Edmonton. The position sounds very interesting and I wouldn't want to pass on a good opportunity. However, I'm not sure if the salary that was extended to me is enough considering that the cost of living in Alberta is higher then in Ontario. Some of my expenses would include rent (1 bdrm appartment or basement which will probably cost me $800-$900), car insurance, internet and the reugulars. I'm not a spender but I would like to have the financial freedom to enjoy myself. Is $45,000 per year reasonable? What do you guys think? Please let me know....is there something I didn't take into consideration? I really appreciate your input.
Thanks so much

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
If it's just yourself, and you're relatively debt free, you'll do fine on that amount of money. If you've got a family, you might find it a bit of a stretch, but people do manage on less here. Just not very easily.

At any rate, welcome to Canadian Content.

Youstah

Oct 29, 2007
Thank you...and yes, it's just me....me and me...lol....I've got nobody there so I have to make sure I make it.

Youstah

Oct 29, 2007
lol....I think I'm ok. You guys did make me feel better though...thanks
And even if I'm a little scared, I think positive.
But when I read peoples comments on this site, some of them seem to be very unhappy out there. But I think I'll give it a try....I mean, really I can always come back.
So what about a car insurance? In Ontario I pay around $170/month. I'm over 25, no accidents, fairly new car.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
If you group all of your insurances together (car, home, life etc) then you get better deals but I drive a 98 jeep, I am over 25 with no accidents and I pay $600 a year for car insurance. It gets a lot more expensive once you have accidents and I think speeding tickets only start counting after 3. Good luck, I have family in Edmonton and I visit a lot as I am only 2 hours away, I like the city, and I hope you will too!:smile:

i live in edmonton up to June 2006, and the only difference for me, it's a real estate, before i live at levis Quebec, and for a same size house, it's 125 000$ more in edmonton, and i thing presently the real estate market after big growth of last month is now for down a little bit.

for me it's a great move, i'm a truck driver, and i see my income 50 000 in quebec (cheapest truck driver market) increase up to 75 000$ for a same job in edmonton

Reactions: daisygirl

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Hello Edmontonians,
My current employer has offered me a job in Edmonton. The position sounds very interesting and I wouldn't want to pass on a good opportunity. However, I'm not sure if the salary that was extended to me is enough considering that the cost of living in Alberta is higher then in Ontario. Some of my expenses would include rent (1 bdrm appartment or basement which will probably cost me $800-$900), car insurance, internet and the reugulars. I'm not a spender but I would like to have the financial freedom to enjoy myself. Is $45,000 per year reasonable? What do you guys think? Please let me know....is there something I didn't take into consideration? I really appreciate your input.
Thanks so much

I lived for 6 months in edmonton on $40,000. Just do your best to find an apartment with rent less than 1000. that helps a lot

Youstah

Oct 29, 2007
Thanks guys
Freedom trucking eh?....Well actually i'm currently working for transportation company and they're the once moving me out there. So if you're ever looking for a driver position let me know :)

So hermanntrude, were you able to find a decent place for less than $1000...was it really hard?
take care

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
finding accomodation is VERY hard in edmonton. It's a lot easier, however, if you don't have a baby. It's a disgrace to Canada that there are landlords who allow dogs but not children in their apartments.

i used to live in a nice place for $800

Reactions: daisygirl

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i know they're the bird-flipping capital.

Last night someone flipped me the bird because i didn't cycle into free-flowing traffic. Bastard.

I was at a controlled crossing, the kind with the flashy light. I got to it and pressed the button and a car that should have stopped didn't bother, and drove right past. the guy behind him stopped and so i looked to the other side to make sure the opposite direction was prepared to stop as well, and it seemed that they werent. the driver who HAD stopped rolled down his window and shouted "start crossing" I responded that if i did I would have died. He promptly decided I was a "dickwad" and proceeded to tell me about it, with much bird-flipping.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i'd have to say that apart from the impatient wankers I find at the crossings, who expect me to die because they want to get home 10 seconds sooner, the drivers are fairly polite in edmonton and have a crazy tendancy to stop in the road if you LOOK like you're about to cross the road.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
i know they're the bird-flipping capital.

Last night someone flipped me the bird because i didn't cycle into free-flowing traffic. Bastard.

I was at a controlled crossing, the kind with the flashy light. I got to it and pressed the button and a car that should have stopped didn't bother, and drove right past. the guy behind him stopped and so i looked to the other side to make sure the opposite direction was prepared to stop as well, and it seemed that they werent. the driver who HAD stopped rolled down his window and shouted "start crossing" I responded that if i did I would have died. He promptly decided I was a "dickwad" and proceeded to tell me about it, with much bird-flipping.

Holy crap, the same thing happened to me last night! I was walking back from the grocery store, and the traffic lined up into the intersection as a car up the street was trying to pull into a parking lot. The light turns red for the guy in the intersection, he motions me to walk, I started to take that step but then remembered the flashing arrow at that intersection. I stopped just at the edge of the concrete, he beeps at me and starts swearing. At that point a car zooms through the intersection where I would have been, and could not have seen as there was a big SUV stopped on the crossing in front of the beeper...Crazy people or what....