Can I get a camp job without grade 12 or my GED?

Silhoue77e

Aug 31, 2007
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if it would be possible to get a camp job without having your grade 12 or a GED? I have graduated from college in March, but I still don't have my grade 12 and I don't have my GED. Would it be possible for me to get a camp job? thanks everyone.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if it would be possible to get a camp job without having your grade 12 or a GED? I have graduated from college in March, but I still don't have my grade 12 and I don't have my GED. Would it be possible for me to get a camp job? thanks everyone.

Heh, yeah you can go fetch the fire wood.

I'm sorry for sounding so sarcastic but by what you've posted here, that over 5 months have passed since you've graduated who knows what, and that you ask complete strangers a very vague question like can I get a camp job, should be screaming that the last thing you should do is teach children. If in fact by a camp job you mean as a youth councilor in a summer camp.

Maybe you should check into some career counciling with a local government employment office.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It all depends on the 'camp' job you're wanting.

If you're looking to be a camp attendant, then yes, you are perfectly qualified, even without a GED, to make beds, wash laundry, clean toilets, and babysit a bunch of men who act like morons when they're away from home.

If you're looking to be a camp cook, again, GED not really needed.

Those are really the two main jobs that are available in a camp. You should be fine for both. Or, you may be able to get on as a supply person, running back and forth to various camps with groceries and such. Check out the various camp management companies and send your resume.

Best of luck.

Silhoue77e

Aug 31, 2007
Thanks alot Karrie, I really appreciate it. I should have elaborated more on what type of camp job it would be. I was talking about the Oil and Gas industry camp jobs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thanks alot Karrie, I really appreciate it. I should have elaborated more on what type of camp job it would be. I was talking about the Oil and Gas industry camp jobs.

That will all depend on what you took in college I suppose.

If you took your power engineering, or got your boiler license, then you may be able to get an oilfield job. The best way to find out is to apply.

Are you looking to operate? Work a drilling rig? Service rig? Pipelining? Service company? Many have different criteria.

Silhoue77e

Aug 31, 2007
I went to school for welding. I'm fully certified. I'm just looking for a labour job nothing special

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Ya, see you can only really get vague answers (or innaccurate ones) unless we know what your college education is in.

So im curious what was it in?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I went to school for welding. I'm fully certified. I'm just looking for a labour job nothing special

If you have apprenticed as a welder, then you should know you're qualified to work as a welder anywhere you go. I don't know of many people who live permanently in camp though, short of the ones with ACTUAL camp jobs (cooks, camp attendants, etc.).

If you're coming to Alberta, you'll have plenty of work (good paying work) as a welder. They're always needed in the patch.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Silouhe

Most companies have an HR department who can post job educational requirements.

Have you tried contacting the company you hope to work for? Or any other similar company - often they post these things on line on the company website.

Here is what I got with one hit on Google: "Oil and Gas Companies - Alberta"

And the list...
http://www.canadian-universities.net/Employment/Companies/Oil_and_Gas-Alberta.html

Last edited:

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
Not a problem. Get an oil field directory book and all the companies in the patch are located in there. If you want the big bucks, a camp job is what you want. Your B pressure ticket is what you are going to need if you want to get on the pipeline.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Camp Job?

Well! Last fall EnCana was advertising all over the USA for qualified Welders. They figure there is up around 3000 spots to fill with the Oil Sands and Pipeline additions in the next 5 years.

So I would say come on over! Get here while the weather is warm enough to sleep in your car if necessary. You will have no trouble being situated by Winter! Have you gone to an Employment office? Lots of companies pay Transportation and Rooms till they can get you out to a camp.